Membership £50

6 minutes ago, smhouston said:

I think another angle they're looking at is our Wembley ticket allocation. We sold out with plenty more wanting to come. ST sales are now up to the 20k mark which is a significant amount more than usual. If they keep prices for membership low then they will sell a lot more membership cards which is good for the club (and fans), but when it comes to restricted ticket sales then membership card people might miss out due to demand, which is one of the key selling points of the cards with the priority on tickets above others. Put the price up, and the more committed fans will buy them because it will be worthwhile, giving them priority other the others, which is fair IMO.

Having said that, I do feel £50 is steep, but it depends on how many offers they offer a double discount on. I'd probably say £40 would have been better. What you can definitively say is you can make your money back on the membership by going to a maximum of 8 games, which is only 35% of the league games. Factor in the cup matches and that % will only decrease, and that's without any other double discount offers on. That is not a big committed for fans IMO, fairly reasonable. If you can't make that many games then I can see why you'd be annoyed, however, maybe that's where the club should be looking at a bundle ticket offer in blocks of 3 and 5 tickets for fans in that situation

Doom and gloom people saying it's not worth it...I take it you didn't enjoy our season last season? If you did, then that is where your value is coming from. Our best season in 16 years, not sold any big players (yet), and hopefully more quality to come in.

Very sensible and makes perfect sense IF that is why the Club have increased the membership so much. It very much feels like the Club is exploiting the potential Wembley priority that Wembley bought last season to make what is surely peanuts to them, yet a decent sized barrier to plenty of fans though.

Sadly, it will still mean Hillsborough isn't as full as it should be.

Also noticed in the article that the Club is capping season ticket sales next season - that will be an interesting move!

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

I think £50 is a bit steep, and the increase from last season hard to understand.

However, I would expect that they'll be at least six £10 discount games throughout the season, which on the basis most members would go to these normally, equals an increased discount of £30 from last season, which means membership would be cheaper overall!!

Clearly that's subject to the club's strategy and we need to see how many games they intend to discount by £10.

9 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Cool, at the end of this season then I should get the £'s back that I forked out for the season ticket....

Oh no, I won't because its not an investment.

But you get 23 games. Pay £50 for a membership and you might not see a thing (if you're that stupid to spend and not go).

I don't see it as a investment either by the way. Its just expensive. Im still going to end up paying.

Just been reading through the advantages of being a member. No mention of priority Wembley tickets. I'm sure there will be should we get there again, but imagine if people buy memberships for £50 on that basis and future Wembley tickets just go to Season Ticket Holders, then straight to General Sale - Owlstalk will go into a proper meltdown! lol

Just now, Cpt_Hatstand said:

I really am struggling to see the logic in capping season tickets next season in a stadium with 20,000 empty seats

Obviously season tickets are the cheapest way of watching us, the Club won't want too many of those because it reduces the number of fans they can get paying the premium POTG prices.

Expect to see Membership capped in the near future too.

7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Very sensible and makes perfect sense IF that is why the Club have increased the membership so much. It very much feels like the Club is exploiting the potential Wembley priority that Wembley bought last season to make what is surely peanuts to them, yet a decent sized barrier to plenty of fans though.

Sadly, it will still mean Hillsborough isn't as full as it should be.

Also noticed in the article that the Club is capping season ticket sales next season - that will be an interesting move!

I didn't even see the bit mentioning about ST capping and this giving priority! In that case, I can definitely see why they've priced it at £50!

Imagine if 10k people bought membership cards @ £30. Win promotion and there would be a big demand in STs, let's say all of them bought one. That'd leave us with 30k ST holders, and basically no room for any floaters effectively causing to receive no more matchday ticket income with everyone on the "cheap" STs.

There has to be a balance between amount of ST holders and pay on the day people to keep a good revenue stream in to the club. I'm going to have to side with the club on this now

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

Could have been fifty quid with a free cup ticket thrown in 

To be honest, if they'd have just said, "there'll be 10 (8, 6, whatever) games with double discount" it would have been better.  It's the way there's no transparency so you have to guess if you're going to get rinsed by taking up a particular offer. 

the club need to be transparant of how many 10 quid discount games there is going to be .......when you buy a product you usually know if it will be of benefit to you .you dont usually buy something were you are dependant on the sellers whims .

4 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

I really am struggling to see the logic in capping season tickets next season in a stadium with 20,000 empty seats

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Obviously season tickets are the cheapest way of watching us, the Club won't want too many of those because it reduces the number of fans they can get paying the premium POTG prices.

Expect to see Membership capped in the near future too.

But we still have thousands of empty seats.

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the club need to be transparant of how many 10 quid discount games there is going to be .......when you buy a product you usually know if it will be of benefit to you .you dont usually buy something were you are dependant on the sellers whims .

Absolutely - they've already committed to the first game, which is either because it's the first game or a 'big' game with a high POTD cat price.

Nevertheless if members go to the Villa game, their membership cost has already reduced to £45 in real terms, and you only need a further three £10 discount games throughout the season to attend, to see no increase on your membership cost from last year.

16 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Cool, at the end of this season then I should get the £'s back that I forked out for the season ticket....

Oh no, I won't because its not an investment.

Stop being a tool, no one begrudges the 100s of £s people spend on this football club.

Its not about getting something back.

Simple Maths. 

ST = 23 games + best benefits.

Membership = Nothing + reduction on Gate prices + benefits above walk up fans but below ST.

Members now have to decide if £50 down is worth it compared to being a walk up fan as they please.

At £20 and £30 it was a no brainer, £50 is an outrageous increase unless the benefit for this outlay has comparable increase.

Lets not forget we are in the same position as Newcastle United and Burton Albion. Last year was amazing and a lot of fun but that doesnt guarantee 2016/17 will be same.  Have you forgot the last 10 years achievements.

Nebneeb hit the nail on the head. 

15 minutes ago, smhouston said:

I didn't even see the bit mentioning about ST capping and this giving priority! In that case, I can definitely see why they've priced it at £50!

Imagine if 10k people bought membership cards @ £30. Win promotion and there would be a big demand in STs, let's say all of them bought one. That'd leave us with 30k ST holders, and basically no room for any floaters effectively causing to receive no more matchday ticket income with everyone on the "cheap" STs.

There has to be a balance between amount of ST holders and pay on the day people to keep a good revenue stream in to the club. I'm going to have to side with the club on this now

There were some on here suggesting we move and build a smaller place.

If we get promoted to Prem then we expand Hillsborough and no need for capping whatsoever

19 minutes ago, modboy said:

It's an old argument but the prices will again put off the casual / overseas fan who can only make a game or two a season 

I think we should build the pricing structure around those fans...fucktheseason ticket holders

It's steep.

but I've decided I'm going to buy memberships, probably won't be cost effective, because at best I'll get to 3 games this season.

But for me I think it's fair to invest a little bit of money - Chansiri is investing a lot.

This is not a critisicm of anyone who can't, or won't pay for membership/match day prices.

The bottom line is that the increase makes it only worthwhile if you plan on attending 10+ games rather than 6+ games. That puts more people like me who live away from Sheffield into the walk up prices. 

I've been a big defender of the ticket prices as an investment has been made and needs to be recouped somehow, and membership last season made sense for a lot of non-season ticket holders. That's changed now. 

I would definitely have bought membership again for £30, but they can forget it at £50. If we are lucky enough (or unlucky depending on perspective) to make it to Wembley again this season, I'll have to rely on my purchase history rather than membership. Having attended 7 home games and 3 away games last season, hopefully, that will be enough. 

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

I think we should build the pricing structure around those fans...fucktheseason ticket holders

What he said. When will people realise that the pricing of tickets is centred around the fans who actually turn up more than a couple of times per season? I am not having a go at those fans (and yes, they are fans even if they don't go to many games) but the club could not survive mind grow if we relied on those people who didn't attend many games? 

The club are rewarding loyalty in attendance from its fan base, both now (season tickets), medium term (membership) and long term (priority points).