Ross McCormack - Bid Made £11.5 Million

7 hours ago, sam1 said:

With Hooper, Fletcher, Joao and Forestieri who can fill in if needed, it seems daft paying anything like this for another striker. Rather spend 7.5 mill on a centre back and left back a piece, keep Lees sweet as well playing alongside that calibre of defenders I'd of thought.

Solid commonsense.

If money no object, McCormack. If we are on a budget, spend it on our bigger priority positions.

8 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Is Wickham on our radar again? Unsettled at Palace....you never know....stranger things have happened.

Might be worth a try, he will be 4/5 choice striker now, he likes swfc etc. 

10 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

lol I know McCormack earning 100,000 a week haha. 

If he's on that then I should be on more too. Gonna see if I can double my wages tomorrow. 

Update - I asked for wages to be doubled and got told to roger off.

If McCormack asked for £100,000 it's safe to say DC told him to roger off too. 

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

For example, Boro believe Rhodes is a wage commitment of £9,389,900 over four years McCormack is a much more costly player than him. 

OK, several issues with this

1. What's your source that this is what Boro 'believe' his wages are?

2. Sure, so if we take that his wages are £9million over 4 years and work out how much that is per week, it comes to a weekly wage of £42k. One would assume that some bonuses were taken into account with that £9.389million figure, so the raw weekly wage is probably a little less than £42k a week

3. Jordan Rhodes is a Premier League player, so his wages will be very high and no doubt there was a clause in his contract that his wages would increase on promotion... ergo one would imagine that 'Boro's estimate of his wage commitment would have taken the promotion clause into account... essentially meaning he would have been on less than the £42k weekly before they got promoted

4. Are you seriously suggesting that Ross McCormack is on wages more than double what Jordan Rhodes was on? Considering that Rhodes was widely considered to be the highest paid Championship player which was why he was stuck at freakin' Blackburn for about 18 months longer than he should have been?

Good grief, just think a little, please....

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

OK, several issues with this

1. What's your source that this is what Boro 'believe' his wages are?

2. Sure, so if we take that his wages are £9million over 4 years and work out how much that is per week, it comes to a weekly wage of £42k. One would assume that some bonuses were taken into account with that £9.389million figure, so the raw weekly wage is probably a little less than £42k a week

3. Jordan Rhodes is a Premier League player, so his wages will be very high and no doubt there was a clause in his contract that his wages would increase on promotion... ergo one would imagine that 'Boro's estimate of his wage commitment would have taken the promotion clause into account... essentially meaning he would have been on less than the £42k weekly before they got promoted

4. Are you seriously suggesting that Ross McCormack is on wages more than double what Jordan Rhodes was on? Considering that Rhodes was widely considered to be the highest paid Championship player which was why he was stuck at freakin' Blackburn for about 18 months longer than he should have been?

Good grief, just think a little, please....

No, it was at the time he signed, Student. My 100K+ was OTT, I confess it, but if McCormack moves for the asking price of £15 million then he will be on considerably more than Rhodes at the time Rhodes signed for 'Boro, although it won't be double, as you say. I stand by my belief that the Rhodes, McCormacks and Grays of this world are beyond us right now. Let's face it, Rhodes was signed by Rovers, McCormack by Fulham and Gray by Burrrrrnley just after they'd come down and all were armed with parachute money. OK, 'Boro gambled, but it was an educated gamble. I bet they wouldn't do it this season, with the league as it is. All fans try to work out what the wage structure at a particular club is, that is, the relationship between transfer fees and wages. All we've got to go on, regarding our forwards, is that fact that £3 - £4 million players seem to be earning around £30 - £40 K per week. An oversimplification? Probably, but it's all we have. I don't like to see fans' hopes being built up, just to see them knocked down. We've had enough of that for two decades.

The more I look at the Fletcher deal the more I wonder where McCormack would fit in now - sounds daft I know!

Looking at it from a financial perspective, if Fletcher is on the reported £35k a week that has been mentioned then over his 4 year contract that's £7.28million which isn't bad considering there is no fee involved. McCormack would be wanting at least £20k a week you would imagine and if you based that over a 4 year contract that's £4.16million together with the fee of at least £12million to sign him it's a hell of a lot now that we already have Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri and Joao (I've written off Nuhiu for arguments sake). It shows the kind of money we are throwing around though which is a good sign. Just wondering now if it's elsewhere we need to strengthen?!

24 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

The more I look at the Fletcher deal the more I wonder where McCormack would fit in now - sounds daft I know!

Looking at it from a financial perspective, if Fletcher is on the reported £35k a week that has been mentioned then over his 4 year contract that's £7.28million which isn't bad considering there is no fee involved. McCormack would be wanting at least £20k a week you would imagine and if you based that over a 4 year contract that's £4.16million together with the fee of at least £12million to sign him it's a hell of a lot now that we already have Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri and Joao (I've written off Nuhiu for arguments sake). It shows the kind of money we are throwing around though which is a good sign. Just wondering now if it's elsewhere we need to strengthen?!

I'd expect he's probably already on double that now at Fulham.

14 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Forwards always earn more than other players in the team, you're right, but that's the same at any club. However, can you see Wednesday paying McCormack £100 000+ a week? Hand on heart, I can't, and that's what your McCormacks earn. At Veelah or Newcastle McCormack  would be just another player, but here it would be like a whale getting into the bath. It would be like Forestieri signing for United. Well, not quite as extreme as that, but you get my drift I hope. Lol.

Have you been smoking those exotic substances ?  

20 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'd expect he's probably already on double that now at Fulham.

I'm not sure. He's never played PL football so will not be on those inflated wages but Fulham can provide bigger wages with their parachute payments. Another reason to think how good the Fletcher deal could be against a McCormack one then that could be nearer the £20million mark with a fee and wages over 4 years.

Just now, Babushka1867 said:

I'm not sure. He's never played PL football so will not be on those inflated wages but Fulham can provide bigger wages with their parachute payments. Another reason to think how good the Fletcher deal could be against a McCormack one then that could be nearer the £20million mark with a fee and wages over 4 years.

Find it very odd for a player with an £11m price tag to sign a £20k a week deal. Surely, if a team thinks you are worth £11m, then they'll think you're worth more than £20k a week?

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Find it very odd for a player with an £11m price tag to sign a £20k a week deal. Surely, if a team thinks you are worth £11m, then they'll think you're worth more than £20k a week?

I would imagine that personal terms are exactly that, what the clubs agree on is a different matter.  If one club desperately want a player and he wants to leave, then maybe there is a disparity in signing on fee and wages.  Not sure but do the players get a percentage of transfer fee?  

13 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

I would imagine that personal terms are exactly that, what the clubs agree on is a different matter.  If one club desperately want a player and he wants to leave, then maybe there is a disparity in signing on fee and wages.  Not sure but do the players get a percentage of transfer fee?  

They certainly used to get a percentage of the transfer fee but only if they hadn't officially asked for a transfer. These days I think they are also entitled to a loyalty bonus if it's included in the contract whereby they get a bonus if they see out the full term of the contract. If their club decide to sell them before the contract is up they still get the bonus.

48 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

That's a good point.