Ross McCormack - Bid Made £11.5 Million

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Wednesday won't be paying 11 million pounds for anyone, let alone 15. He wouldn't fit into our wage structure, even if we could afford the transfer fee. We'll pay 4 million pounds, at the most. Villa and Newcastle are a different kettle of fish, and if he goes anywhere it will be to one of those two. That's why it's so difficult to get out of this division, and we're probably destined to be the bridesmaids once again. Still, I guess these kind of stories sell season tickets...

So right.....with Newcastle in the division, there is realistically only ONE automatic promotion place up for grabs this coming season. The other 5/6 main contenders will be fighting for two places.

12 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

So right.....with Newcastle in the division, there is realistically only ONE automatic promotion place up for grabs this coming season. The other 5/6 main contenders will be fighting for two places.

As if it's that's straight forward.

Lots of work to do at Newcastle to turn them into a team capable of 90+ points. Undoubted disruption to come as their best players are cherry picked as the season gets closer.

15 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Before a ball has been kicked you are writing off one of the automatic spots straight away, good god why did you all buy season tickets, its all over........Dwight Gayle could get injured first game, Spain might decide Rafa is their next manager and to be honest, none of Newcastles players would frighten me in terms of quality. They would rather have some of our squad as opposed to us wanting some of theirs.   Would love to play against Janmaat myself, the amount of room he leaves behind him and I've got a dicky ticker, they've lost or are about to lose their two most senior centre halves.  I have a feeling one or two won't even hang around or get taken.  They could end up having to bed in about 8-9 players according to their local press and as we know, that can lead to a slow start.  Plus, if they don't hit the ground running, their fans will not tolerate it.  We beat them last year and we didn't play our first eleven.  Realistically, there are two automatic spots, four play off spots and two cups to play for over 46+ games and to think otherwise is lowering expectations a bit too far.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

McCormack is their Forestieri. Take him out of the team and they won't score half as many.

Hooper is the sort of striker you have to carry a lot of the time. 

Can't believe you are trying to suggest we carry Hooper.

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Plenty of games last season he was a complete passenger. Are you genuinely trying to claim that wasn't the case?

Maybe you are one of those fans who thinks a player is crap because he isn't running everywhere winning the ball.

Maybe because you are too fixed on pointing that out to your mates that you miss the contribution he makes.

1 hour ago, Triple O said:

You say we have a wage structure and know what this is? Care to share this information with the rest of us?

All teams have wage structures; we can't say exactly what ours is, but we can hazard a guess. Players such as Forestieri, Hooper and co are said to be earning between £30 000 - £40 000 a week. In other words, they're earning approximately 1% of their value each week. Of course, there are other factors involved, but it gives us a flavour of what our wage scale is. In any event, wages are always proportional to value. As Villa and Newcastle are PL clubs recently relegated, their wage scale will likely be more generous than ours, and they will have many players of high value on their books. McCormack's wages would not be out of place at those clubs, but would tower above anybody else's at Hillsborough. In fact, he'd probably be earning as much as Hooper, Forestieri and Bannan put together.

Edited by Athelwulf

14 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Maybe you are one of those fans who thinks a player is crap because he isn't running everywhere winning the ball.

Maybe because you are too fixed on pointing that out to your mates that you miss the contribution he makes.

:duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter:

If Hooper was good enough to excuse the lack of workrate, pace, mobility and height then fair enough, but he isn't Chris Waddle.

Carrying a striker is fine when we're playing well and the goals are flowing, not so much when things aren't going to plan. Probably the reason why strikers like Hooper, despite their obvious talent, eventually end up as squad players in successful teams (like Norwich). Excellent squad players may I add, who are worth their weight in gold over a season for the times they do nick important goals.

But maybe you're one of those fans who doesn't realise that.

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

:duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter::duntmatter:

If Hooper was good enough to excuse the lack of workrate, pace, mobility and height then fair enough, but he isn't Chris Waddle.

Carrying a striker is fine when we're playing well and the goals are flowing, not so much when things aren't going to plan. Probably the reason why strikers like Hooper, despite their obvious talent, eventually end up as squad players in successful teams (like Norwich). Excellent squad players may I add, who are worth their weight in gold over a season for the times they do nick important goals.

But maybe you're one of those fans who doesn't realise that.

Your low opinion of him is just that. An opinion.

Luckily the only opinion that matters isn't yours.

He will score 18-25 goals next season.

14 minutes ago, Jay1867 said:

"SWFC want him but won't pay the the wages"

Alright Alan ....

Carvalhal makes a big thing of this squad being a close-knit family. Money causes problems in families. If you have one player whose wages dwarf everyone else's, then that is not conducive to harmony in the dressing room. I'd be very surprised if we would pay anybody above £40 000 a week, and we'l not get McCormack for that.

14 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

All teams have wage structures; we can't say exactly what ours is, but we can hazard a guess. Players such as Forestieri, Hooper and co are said to be earning between £30 000 - £40 000 a week. In other words, they're earning approximately 1% of their value each week. Of course, there are other factors involved, but it gives us a flavour of what our wage scale is. In any event, wages are always proportional to value. As Villa and Newcastle are PL clubs recently relegated, their wage scale will likely be more generous than ours, and they will have many players of high value on their books. McCormack's wages would not be out of place at those clubs, but would tower above anybody else's at Hillsborough. In fact, he'd probably be earning as much as Hooper, Forestieri and Bannan put together.

That's a no then!

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Maybe he's saying that in the modern game, players are judged more than previously about what they do without the ball, than with it.  Hooper does not strike me as a player who's natural game is to close down in the attacking third.  Apart from anything else, he doesn't look likes hes got the lungs for it.  He's not that type of player, he's looking at where do I need to be if the ball is won back by us, which is brilliant, but it may not be what CC wants.  After all, as said many times before, CC believes in a type of play that calls for winning the ball as high up the pitch as possible, which is probably why he played FF up with Hooper so much.  

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Carvalhal makes a big thing of this squad being a close-knit family. Money causes problems in families. If you have one player whose wages dwarf everyone else's, then that is not conducive to harmony in the dressing room. I'd be very surprised if we would pay anybody above £40 000 a week, and we'l not get McCormack for that.

No I was more eluding to the Nixon diminishing comments of the Fletcher transfer just a couple of hours before he signed.

I agree with your point but if you look at the most recent transfers (Hooper and Fletcher) who are if, reports are believed, taking home 30k+ per week. And are more than likely earning up to 4x, 5x maybe more than other players in our squad then that theory dosent really stand. 

12 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Your low opinion of him is just that. An opinion.

Luckily the only opinion that matters isn't yours.

He will score 18-25 goals next season.

Well if Hooper plays enough to get himself 25 goals, I don't think we'll be going up, but as you say that's only an opinion.

And I really don't have a low opinion of him. He's great at what he does. I just don't believe you can build successful teams around strikers like Hooper. 

I do believe every successful team should have one in the squad though.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

7 minutes ago, Jay1867 said:

No I was more eluding to the Nixon diminishing comments of the Fletcher transfer just a couple of hours before he signed.

I agree with your point but if you look at the most recent transfers (Hooper and Fletcher) who are if, reports are believed, taking home 30k+ per week. And are more than likely earning up to 4x, 5x maybe more than other players in our squad then that theory dosent really stand. 

Forwards always earn more than other players in the team, you're right, but that's the same at any club. However, can you see Wednesday paying McCormack £100 000+ a week? Hand on heart, I can't, and that's what your McCormacks earn. At Veelah or Newcastle McCormack  would be just another player, but here it would be like a whale getting into the bath. It would be like Forestieri signing for United. Well, not quite as extreme as that, but you get my drift I hope. Lol.