Pearson & Roeder

lol

So much bitterness on that forum.

I suppose that's what happens when they have to exist in the shadow of their more illustrious neighbour.

I do find it embarrassing and funny that lots of em including some of my mates only seem happy when something bad happens to wednesday. Like they literally have nothing except trying to wind us up and put us down. The best part of it is they always fail

I do find it embarrassing and funny that lots of em including some of my mates only seem happy when something bad happens to wednesday. Like they literally have nothing except trying to wind us up and put us down. The best part of it is they always fail

Hate Wednesday first, love United second. That's the way it'll always be with them lot.

See now you're twisting my words. There are many better nations than france. England, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. it's a decent market to get players from, I never said it wasn't. Never said we shouldn't buy players from there, just another example of someone changing what a poster says. My point was the quality of the French league and the majority of olayers that they bring in are nowhere near as strong as a lot of other European nations. With the exception of PSG. Rozehnal doesn't matter now as I was mistaken who brought him to the club however it does back up my point that he ended up back in France relatively quickly.

You can't go on because that's where the list ends. They got ripped off for N'Zogbia who was a decent player in a poor/average Wigan side. Not sure if I said it in my first post but think I said James was a good signing. It was the rest of the West Ham, Norwich and players that went to Villa I was on about. Martins couldn't get in the Milan team (not surprisingly considering the completions though), he wasn't exaclty brilliant for 10M which at the time was a heck of a lot of money. As for Hutton, villa wanted rid for years and he had loan spells, it just so happens now they don't have a right back or are willing to spend money so he has to play. So to repay you couldn't go on and on because I said the 'majority' of his signings for West Ham, Norwich and potentially villa were poor, which they were.

Well, we can agree to disagree I personally think the list of names you posted were actually good and solid premiership players and hardly "average players" as you stated. In fact 12 of the 17 players you listed spent the majority of their career in the premier league. So they must be really terrible. If Roeder had been appointed as manager then I'd agree to be concerned because he was a flop as a manager, but I can't agree that the majority of his signings you listed were.

So if we were to sign Rhodes in the summer for £8 million and he only scores 8 goals next season I assume you will say Roeder is bad at recruiting? That seems harsh to me as any championship team would want Rhodes in their team at the moment.

Sorry just to add, I just find it funny that a wednesday supporter could look at that list of players and call them "average at best".

Edited by Southie_Owl

See now you're twisting my words. There are many better nations than france. England, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. it's a decent market to get players from, I never said it wasn't. Never said we shouldn't buy players from there, just another example of someone changing what a poster says. My point was the quality of the French league and the majority of olayers that they bring in are nowhere near as strong as a lot of other European nations. With the exception of PSG. Rozehnal doesn't matter now as I was mistaken who brought him to the club however it does back up my point that he ended up back in France relatively quickly.

You can't go on because that's where the list ends. They got ripped off for N'Zogbia who was a decent player in a poor/average Wigan side. Not sure if I said it in my first post but think I said James was a good signing. It was the rest of the West Ham, Norwich and players that went to Villa I was on about. Martins couldn't get in the Milan team (not surprisingly considering the completions though), he wasn't exaclty brilliant for 10M which at the time was a heck of a lot of money. As for Hutton, villa wanted rid for years and he had loan spells, it just so happens now they don't have a right back or are willing to spend money so he has to play. So to repay you couldn't go on and on because I said the 'majority' of his signings for West Ham, Norwich and potentially villa were poor, which they were.

Where did you get the info regarding who he recruited at Villa? He wasn't even the chief scout.

Where did you get the info regarding who he recruited at Villa? He wasn't even the chief scout.

I did say in several posts IF he had any input in those signings. Was just going off villa as it was his last job. That's the reason people always have to be pedantic and cover their back in posts because someone will question it otherwise

Then they got relegated

Two seasons later, without spending any more money on signings. How many teams in the Premiership would you back to avoid relegation under circumstances like that? Not to mention the manager collapsing with a brain tumour.

In the one season West Ham gave him money to spend, he seemed to know what to do with it.

Two seasons later, without spending any more money on signings. How many teams in the Premiership would you back to avoid relegation under circumstances like that? Not to mention the manager collapsing with a brain tumour.

In the one season West Ham gave him money to spend, he seemed to know what to do with it.

No it was the season after. They finished 7th and then 18th. He suffered his problems in April. I beleive it was Trevor Brooking that took over and they won 3 out of their last 4 drawing the other on the last game of the season. I'm pretty sure that's what happened but I'm going off what I remmeber form premier league years they show on sky sports.

Have to say Roeder has managed Newcastle, West ham and Norwich, hardly tin pot clubs by anyone's estimation. So you have to ask why he got those jobs in the first place. Maybe he has good contacts all over the game and knows what should be required at youth and reserve level as well as knowing what our training facilities and back room staff should all be capable of. Maybe he just didn't quite have the necessary skills to put all his knowledge into first team management, I don't really know. Hopefully he still has good contacts in the game and maybe even knows of 1 or 2 hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Only time will tell

I did say in several posts IF he had any input in those signings. Was just going off villa as it was his last job. That's the reason people always have to be pedantic and cover their back in posts because someone will question it otherwise

Seems like a reasonable thing to question to me. Not much point spending pages reading about Charles N'Zogbia when we've no idea whether he had anything at all to do with singing him. I've already spent half the afternoon listening to stuff about the Italian league for nowt.

Obviously give Roeder a chance, he's here now and nothing is going to change that any time soon. He hasn't had a good managerial career and posters keep getting jumped on because they say they don't like him. He's brought in to recruit and not manage. Hopefully will will also do well with the youth side of things. Anyway here's his past recruitment history

Roeders player recruitment history

Aston Villas as a scout 2010

Villa Struggled and sacked their manager

Stephen Ireland 8M

Charles N'Zogbia 9.5M

Alan Hutton 5M

Darren Bent 18M

Say Given 3.5M (for a past it 35 year old)

West Ham as manager 2001

Don Hutchinson 5M

Tomas Repka 5.5M

David James 3.5M

Les Ferdinand (was 36 and past it)

Lee Bowyer (played 10 games)

Also lots of frees that didn't do anything or go anywhere afterwards and not heard of most.

Newcastle as manager 2006

Obafemi Martins 10M

Damien Duff 5M

Antonine Sibierski 2M

Oliver Bernard free

Mark Viduka free

Geremi free

David Rozehnal 3M

Norwich as manager 2007

He brought in many lower league flops that didn't nothing, however he did get Wes Hoolohan for 250k

This goes to show that's on the whole he has recruited pretty poorly with probably the exception of Newcastle. Paid over the odds in later years for some very average players. He's also been out the game 5 years is other people's argument.

This post isn't to put Roeder down. It's just to show a fairer argument and another reason why some fans are a bit sceptical and unenthused by his appointment. So there you have it, surely other posters can now understand where there isn't huge positivity about this one appointment. Just seems any slightly negative mention on here gets put down with no real facts to back it up

My guess is that if he carries on in that vein his tenure at S6 will be short lived

Edited by darra

Just wait and see ffs.

Roeder might be brilliant, he might be terrible.

Chansiri will boot him ASAP if the latter proves to be true.

It's not like Newcastle where it was job for the boys.

I'm not sure why people are so worried about Roeder, if he fails at his task he'll be out the door just like anyone else. There's no need to go hunting for negatives in his past, let's see how he gets on here in a completely different role and judge him on that.

[edit]

Yeah, what SiJ said.

Edited by Dan™

Roeder has been getting some stick but I think he has been chosen precisely because he is a bit dull and restrained.

He won't get involved in the management side - he is past all that and Pearson will sort the business side out.

I think Roeder will be a steady hand on he tiller in the background and an ear for Gray.

Comoli would have been a disaster.

All very interesting - we shall have to see how it pans out

Pearson seems to have a good track record in the game. The news today that Aldridge is on his way at the end of next season suggests that Pearson may become the main mover and shaker when it comes to transfers sooner rather than later?

As for Roeder, I initially was disappointed as I was hoping for Commoli but he did come across in the interview that he's been looking for this type of opportunity for a while and he's determined to make the most of it, so he deserves a chance before we start to judge him.