Pearson & Roeder

I have mates moaning that Tramlines is too much, its £30 ffs for THREE days.

Same about everything and thats why Sheffield has fallen so far behind our neighbours, too change resistant.

We just need to chill out, enjoy what is on offer and try and smile a bit more as there is nothing we can do to change things

Thirty fooooking quid?!?!?!? How much......Jesus H. Christ are you kidding me? It wer free not so long back. Bloody rip off......I'm out!

lol

P.S. Totally agree modboy - chill, smile and embrace change.

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

New screen, new pitch and an ambition to get this club promotion aggressively? I can hardly contain myself! lol

How good it is to be talking about ambition, about getting into the PL, new pitch, scoreboard, potentially bringing in new (good) players, being debt free, reorganizing the management structure by bringing in respected people like Adam Pearson. How different to those days when we were getting weekly updates about the size of our debt (which we could see no resolve), how much we owed the Coop, internal divisions, the possibility of administration or worse etc.

Who knows what’s ahead but I prefer these discussions to those we used to have.

Still pinching myself about all this positivity... Unreal.

This is in no way a negative comment, just a general musing as I catch up with this thread over my morning coffee.

Is this really such an innovation?

From the comments made in the interview and articles it just seems like we've got someone doing the CEO type roll, someone doing the DoF roll and a Head Coach.

They've just labelled it a "Committee".

As I said not a negative, I think that's how we've been run since MM took over. Way back in that first January the comments from Irvine on those signings suggested that they were made through the input of him, MM and PA.

Because that is the most relevant football experience he has for this job, and his managerial experience was quoted in the press release. Do you think in his interview he said 'by the way lads I know no more about doing this job than the average fan' or 'I have the experience as I managed West Ham, Newcastle etc' . So of course his managerial experience is relevant. I don't see how he is going to be great in this role when he was so bad as a manager.

Yes, of course his managerial experience is relevant in regards to giving him experience of how football works on the inside, but his performance in that role is certainly not indicative of how he will perform in this one.

For starters, I'd suggest that being able to motivate your players to perform at the top of their game every week is one of the most important skills for a football manager. Perhaps his management career didn't take off because he lacked that, or one of surely many other unrelated skills which will have no impact in regards to how successfully he can fulfil his new role.

This is in no way a negative comment, just a general musing as I catch up with this thread over my morning coffee.

Is this really such an innovation?

From the comments made in the interview and articles it just seems like we've got someone doing the CEO type roll, someone doing the DoF roll and a Head Coach.

They've just labelled it a "Committee".

As I said not a negative, I think that's how we've been run since MM took over. Way back in that first January the comments from Irvine on those signings suggested that they were made through the input of him, MM and PA.

The way I see it, most English clubs don't even have a Sporting Director to plan the club's long-term footballing strategy independent of the manager. What we appear to have done is take this a step even further (which they suggested might be a first in English football), to have three people fulfilling that Sporting Director role by committee, while at the same time all having their own individual roles within the club.

ie.

Stuart Gray - Head Coach

Adam Pearson - Advisor to the Chairman

Glenn Roeder - Chief Scout

But combined they can take over the world come together to form the committee which will plan the long-term success of Sheffield Wednesday regardless of whoever is head coach in 3 or 5 years' time.

Somehow I don't think DC has looked at Roeder's managerial career and thought. "Yep he's the man for me".

He will have done his homework on him, and that he has other attributes to bring to the table.

DC is no mug, from what you can gather he likes to have experienced and knowledgeable people advising him.

For all we know Roeder has data base of players he's keeping tabs on.  

To me this is the start of something really positive, sure they will be mistakes made along the way, but I'm confident that DC will deliver.  If doesn't I'll still go the games anyway.

Come on your allowed to smile :rolleyes:

:stuwinky:

Obviously give Roeder a chance, he's here now and nothing is going to change that any time soon. He hasn't had a good managerial career and posters keep getting jumped on because they say they don't like him. He's brought in to recruit and not manage. Hopefully will will also do well with the youth side of things. Anyway here's his past recruitment history

Roeders player recruitment history

Aston Villas as a scout 2010

Villa Struggled and sacked their manager

Stephen Ireland 8M

Charles N'Zogbia 9.5M

Alan Hutton 5M

Darren Bent 18M

Say Given 3.5M (for a past it 35 year old)

West Ham as manager 2001

Don Hutchinson 5M

Tomas Repka 5.5M

David James 3.5M

Les Ferdinand (was 36 and past it)

Lee Bowyer (played 10 games)

Also lots of frees that didn't do anything or go anywhere afterwards and not heard of most.

Newcastle as manager 2006

Obafemi Martins 10M

Damien Duff 5M

Antonine Sibierski 2M

Oliver Bernard free

Mark Viduka free

Geremi free

David Rozehnal 3M

Norwich as manager 2007

He brought in many lower league flops that didn't nothing, however he did get Wes Hoolohan for 250k

This goes to show that's on the whole he has recruited pretty poorly with probably the exception of Newcastle. Paid over the odds in later years for some very average players. He's also been out the game 5 years is other people's argument.

This post isn't to put Roeder down. It's just to show a fairer argument and another reason why some fans are a bit sceptical and unenthused by his appointment. So there you have it, surely other posters can now understand where there isn't huge positivity about this one appointment. Just seems any slightly negative mention on here gets put down with no real facts to back it up

Obviously give Roeder a chance, he's here now and nothing is going to change that any time soon. He hasn't had a good managerial career and posters keep getting jumped on because they say they don't like him. He's brought in to recruit and not manage. Hopefully will will also do well with the youth side of things. Anyway here's his past recruitment history

Roeders player recruitment history

Aston Villas as a scout 2010

Villa Struggled and sacked their manager

Stephen Ireland 8M

Charles N'Zogbia 9.5M

Alan Hutton 5M

Darren Bent 18M

Say Given 3.5M (for a past it 35 year old)

West Ham as manager 2001

Don Hutchinson 5M

Tomas Repka 5.5M

David James 3.5M

Les Ferdinand (was 36 and past it)

Lee Bowyer (played 10 games)

Also lots of frees that didn't do anything or go anywhere afterwards and not heard of most.

Newcastle as manager 2006

Obafemi Martins 10M

Damien Duff 5M

Antonine Sibierski 2M

Oliver Bernard free

Mark Viduka free

Geremi free

David Rozehnal 3M

Norwich as manager 2007

He brought in many lower league flops that didn't nothing, however he did get Wes Hoolohan for 250k

This goes to show that's on the whole he has recruited pretty poorly with probably the exception of Newcastle. Paid over the odds in later years for some very average players. He's also been out the game 5 years is other people's argument.

This post isn't to put Roeder down. It's just to show a fairer argument and another reason why some fans are a bit sceptical and unenthused by his appointment. So there you have it, surely other posters can now understand where there isn't huge positivity about this one appointment. Just seems any slightly negative mention on here gets put down with no real facts to back it up

To be fair I think that list of names is pretty good. Yes the values are quite high but that would have been their values at the time of purchase. For example ireland is now a regular in the Stoke team, so £8m for a premier league midfielder is alright. Yes the names of players may not have worked out so well at the clubs Roeder signed for but maybe that's because he's not a good coach/manager. Also someone like Rozenhal went on to play for Lazio and french champions Lille so again not a bad player. Plus Glenn has hopefully learned from any past mistakes.

Roeder is very well thought of by all the Newcastle supporters I know, and the things they say about his personality are in total contradiction to the comments from Norwich fans. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see... but I'm not sure who some were expecting. I've no idea.

Guest _Ibbo_

Aldridge going at the end of next season.

IMHO It might be quicker..... once Pearson gets motoring..... but we shall see

Roeder is very well thought of by all the Newcastle supporters I know, and the things they say about his personality are in total contradiction to the comments from Norwich fans. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see... but I'm not sure who some were expecting. I've no idea.

They were expecting Comolli.

To be fair I think that list of names is pretty good. Yes the values are quite high but that would have been their values at the time of purchase. For example ireland is now a regular in the Stoke team, so £8m for a premier league midfielder is alright. Yes the names of players may not have worked out so well at the clubs Roeder signed for but maybe that's because he's not a good coach/manager. Also someone like Rozenhal went on to play for Lazio and french champions Lille so again not a bad player. Plus Glenn has hopefully learned from any past mistakes.

The West Ham and villa ones were expensive flops. Only Bent made financial sense as he kept them up and then sold him on for more. Ireland is not a regulator in the Stoke first team. He's meade 13 league appearances this season. In total in 2 seasons he's made 24 starts and 15 subs. Wouldn't cal 24/70 ish starts a first team regular. Even your better example of Rozehnal has played 1/3 of his games for Lille from the bench and he didn't even play 30 games for Lazio. We all know the French league isn't great too. I also said with the exception of Newcatle. It's west ham, Norwich and Villa if he had an Input which is concerning.

There isn't any denying the majority of his transfers were flops.

Edited by jonesy87shef