Pearson & Roeder

The West Ham and villa ones were expensive flops. Only Bent made financial sense as he kept them up and then sold him on for more. Ireland is not a regulator in the Stoke first team. He's meade 13 league appearances this season. In total in 2 seasons he's made 24 starts and 15 subs. Wouldn't cal 24/70 ish starts a first team regular. Even your better example of Rozehnal has played 1/3 of his games for Lille from the bench and he didn't even play 30 games for Lazio. We all know the French league isn't great too. I also said with the exception of Newcatle. It's west ham, Norwich and Villa if he had an Input which is concerning.

There isn't any denying the majority of his transfers were flops.

Rozenhal made 38 appearances for Lazio in just over 1 year. An Italian league season is only 34 games. Even if he was a sub for a top team in Serie A then £3m sounds alright to me. Plus he's had 60 caps for Czech Republic! And as for french football, yeah I hope we don't sign any players from that pub league (are you serious?). You seem to be overlooking the fact that players like Duff & James went on to be premier league appearance legends, James became the England goalkeeper! Martins was a good striker signed from inter milan, Hutton is still getting a place at right back in the premier league, N'Zogbia was a top winger at the time he was signed. I could go on but can't be bothered. I just feel you are looking at the signings more negatively than is justified. But I haven't looked into the flops he signed for Norwich so I can't comment on those but if he brings the caliber of player to us that you've listed I personally won't be complaining. I will be expecting Gray to do a good job at coaching them, like other managers did with most of the players in your list

The West Ham and villa ones were expensive flops.

Weren't Hutchison, James and Repka part of the team that finished 7th in the Premier League?

Next season they didn't spend anything. I doubt that was Roeder's choice.

Edited by arithmetic

his Norwich signings weren't particularly bad....

Matthew Bates (loan), David Bell, Ryan Bertrand (loan)  
Mo Camara (loan), Sammy Clingan, Carl Cort  
Ched Evans (loan) 
Kieran Gibbs (loan), Jonathan Grounds (two loan spells)
James Henry (loan), Wes Hoolahan
John Kennedy (loan), Omar Koroma (loan)
Lita Leroy (loan), Arturo Lupoli (loan)
Elliott Omozusi (loan)  
Matty Pattison (loan to permanent), Alex Pearce (loan)
Maceo Rigters (loan)
Antoine Sibierski (loan), Dejan Stefanovic
Martin Taylor (loan)
Juan Velasco 

All loan signings, Nowt ain't gonna change then? :duntmatter:

his Norwich signings weren't particularly bad....

Matthew Bates (loan), David Bell, Ryan Bertrand (loan)  
Mo Camara (loan), Sammy Clingan, Carl Cort  
Ched Evans (loan) 
Kieran Gibbs (loan), Jonathan Grounds (two loan spells)
James Henry (loan), Wes Hoolahan
John Kennedy (loan), Omar Koroma (loan)
Lita Leroy (loan), Arturo Lupoli (loan)
Elliott Omozusi (loan)  
Matty Pattison (loan to permanent), Alex Pearce (loan)
Maceo Rigters (loan)
Antoine Sibierski (loan), Dejan Stefanovic
Martin Taylor (loan)
Juan Velasco 

Edited by RobbieOwler

Obviously give Roeder a chance, he's here now and nothing is going to change that any time soon. He hasn't had a good managerial career and posters keep getting jumped on because they say they don't like him. He's brought in to recruit and not manage. Hopefully will will also do well with the youth side of things. Anyway here's his past recruitment history

Roeders player recruitment history

Aston Villas as a scout 2010

Villa Struggled and sacked their manager

Stephen Ireland 8M

Charles N'Zogbia 9.5M

Alan Hutton 5M

Darren Bent 18M

Say Given 3.5M (for a past it 35 year old)

West Ham as manager 2001

Don Hutchinson 5M

Tomas Repka 5.5M

David James 3.5M

Les Ferdinand (was 36 and past it)

Lee Bowyer (played 10 games)

Also lots of frees that didn't do anything or go anywhere afterwards and not heard of most.

Newcastle as manager 2006

Obafemi Martins 10M

Damien Duff 5M

Antonine Sibierski 2M

Oliver Bernard free

Mark Viduka free

Geremi free

David Rozehnal 3M

Norwich as manager 2007

He brought in many lower league flops that didn't nothing, however he did get Wes Hoolohan for 250k

This goes to show that's on the whole he has recruited pretty poorly with probably the exception of Newcastle. Paid over the odds in later years for some very average players. He's also been out the game 5 years is other people's argument.

This post isn't to put Roeder down. It's just to show a fairer argument and another reason why some fans are a bit sceptical and unenthused by his appointment. So there you have it, surely other posters can now understand where there isn't huge positivity about this one appointment. Just seems any slightly negative mention on here gets put down with no real facts to back it up

During Glen Roeder's time at Vicarage Road he signed Kevin Phillips from local Hertfordshire team,Baldock Town for only £10,000.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

Rozenhal made 38 appearances for Lazio in just over 1 year. An Italian league season is only 34 games. Even if he was a sub for a top team in Serie A then £3m sounds alright to me. Plus he's had 60 caps for Czech Republic! And as for french football, yeah I hope we don't sign any players from that pub league (are you serious?). You seem to be overlooking the fact that players like Duff & James went on to be premier league appearance legends, James became the England goalkeeper! Martins was a good striker signed from inter milan, Hutton is still getting a place at right back in the premier league, N'Zogbia was a top winger at the time he was signed. I could go on but can't be bothered. I just feel you are looking at the signings more negatively than is justified. But I haven't looked into the flops he signed for Norwich so I can't comment on those but if he brings the caliber of player to us that you've listed I personally won't be complaining. I will be expecting Gray to do a good job at coaching them, like other managers did with most of the players in your list

People expect a manager to make FM style transfers, buy so and so for £350k and sell him for £30m to be a success. Ridiculous!

Some dosh spent there, before he even starts on the playing side...

Hearing Desso Pitch is costing way more than they bargained for...

How long before fish boy wants out ??

Pearson's only doing what Wendys thrive on...Massaging that 'Massive' ego of theirs...

It's a good watch fromthe sidelines.

lol

not has funny as watching the gruntbags flounder around league 1 eh!

Edited by richowl

lol

not has funny as watching the gruntbags flounder around league 1 eh!

I saw that one. They're already trying to kid themselves that the owner wants out because the pitch might be a bit more expensive. lol

No ones held a gun to his head and made him appoint two new advisors

See now you're twisting my words. There are many better nations than france. England, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. it's a decent market to get players from, I never said it wasn't. Never said we shouldn't buy players from there, just another example of someone changing what a poster says. My point was the quality of the French league and the majority of olayers that they bring in are nowhere near as strong as a lot of other European nations. With the exception of PSG. Rozehnal doesn't matter now as I was mistaken who brought him to the club however it does back up my point that he ended up back in France relatively quickly.

You can't go on because that's where the list ends. They got ripped off for N'Zogbia who was a decent player in a poor/average Wigan side. Not sure if I said it in my first post but think I said James was a good signing. It was the rest of the West Ham, Norwich and players that went to Villa I was on about. Martins couldn't get in the Milan team (not surprisingly considering the completions though), he wasn't exaclty brilliant for 10M which at the time was a heck of a lot of money. As for Hutton, villa wanted rid for years and he had loan spells, it just so happens now they don't have a right back or are willing to spend money so he has to play. So to repay you couldn't go on and on because I said the 'majority' of his signings for West Ham, Norwich and potentially villa were poor, which they were.