Retained List

Yep.

A lightweight headless chicken who's meant to be a ball winner but has spent the majority of the last 2 years not being able to get within 5 yards of opposition midfielders.

I pray that he's only being retained as a 4th choice back-up. And to make it worse he's the only one will will defo accept the contract offer, Buxton and JJ will have other offers to consider.

i thought wed get first refusal on our own players, seeing as there contract doesnt run it till june, other clubs have to wait until that time before offering them terms., by that time i guess if they havnt signed here they will be leaving.

Edited by peterbottom14

Yes but Miller would not have been offered the wages he was on whilst he was here would he now.. getting on a bit and would have been offered a much cheaper deal. O'Connor might be cheap, but he is sh*t- just because he is cheap doesn't mean we have to retain him

And Miller may not have liked the offer will he now?

Its all such a massive over reaction to us retaining a blatant option for squad cover.

Midfielders - CM

Miller - gone - wages? squad role? wants to go to hartlepool?

Coke - Out of favour with Megson?

Palmer - young, inexperienced

Potter - Lolz

O'Connor - Kept

So its a matter of numbers.

We ain't bringing in 3 new CMs are we?

I'm not JOC's biggest fan, but if we get a decent creative midfielder next to him, I don't see the problem. He has been playing well recently and hopefully he'll keep this up under Megson. If Potter is his CM partner, then it won't work, JOC has to do double the amount of work with Potter alongside him.

And Miller may not have liked the offer will he now?

Its all such a massive over reaction to us retaining a blatant option for squad cover.

Midfielders - CM

Miller - gone - wages? squad role? wants to go to hartlepool?

Coke - Out of favour with Megson?

Palmer - young, inexperienced

Potter - Lolz

O'Connor - Kept

So its a matter of numbers.

We ain't bringing in 3 new CMs are we?

Perhaps not, but rather have Miller on low wages than carrot top

Bit puzzled that if Megson knew he was going to be getting rid of Miller, why was he a fixture in the starting line-up towards the end of the season?

Ok, an experienced head in the middle was valuable, but once we were mathematically safe from the drop he could have tried out Coke or Palmer in the centre for a few games to see what they could do.

Going by the other thread, someone else said earlier on (before it became official) that Miller hadn't been offered a new contract because his wage demands were way off the scale of what we were prepared to offer.

It's almost certainly not as simple as a Yes/No retained list on the OS makes out, it all comes down to money and if Megson doesn't think he can replace JO'C for his (probably low) wage then it's not a bad decision to keep him. If he also thinks he can improve on Miller with the same cash then obviously it's a good idea not to resign him on inflated demands.

I'm far from a JOC fan, I'm pretty sure him and Potter have scarred me for life.

However, looking at this with at least a shred of optimism...JOC has the kind of attitude that will help within the squad...and I do think he's being kept on primarily because he has experience and is settled in and will be a good voice on the training field in helping settle our new recruits.

He won't be on a big wage at all, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a large drop in wages to be honest. Miller is the better player, but he would have cost a lot more to retain and has had quite a bad injury record for us.

We already knew about JJ, and Buxton simply had to be offered a new contract as our best defender. The biggest concern remains getting rid of:

Spurr

Reynolds

Heffernan

Potter

Teale

Sedgwick

Clinton Morrison

and possibly Michael Morrison

the writing was on the wall for Miller, when we stoppled playing him so we wouldnt have to honour the clause in his contract offering him another year. For the money we are paying him, id expect us to go get another, better midfielder.

JOC - well, hes played well towards the end of the season, and im assuming Megson is planning on getting better players to go alongside him next season. i also expect to see Palmer and Coke start to replace JOC in a transition, especially when the need for a holding midfielder (i.e. our defence stops being turd) goes away.

Buxton is the big one for me - we have to be getting him signed up long term.

To all those saying Jones and Mellor wont return... what do you expect the club to say? The loan period has ended, and they return to their clubs... the club/manager can hardly come out and say we fully expect these players to return on a full deal!!

And if they are not returning, i can only assume Megson & Milan have identified other targets that they deem to be 'better' afterall its costing MM a wedge being in L1, whats a bit of expenditure to get promotion?

As others have mentioned JOC has had a fairly decent end to the season, cant be faulted for effort and if he can replicate that for a full season he deserves to stay.... JOC > Potter by 100x

Those who were saying Buxton was off, still might be right... he can say no to a contract you know!! Would love him to sign up though, player of season behind Mellor

All in all though... i trust the people who are now running the club to make the right decision and get us up near the summit of L1 this time next year!!

Very very surprised Miller has gone but we have kept JOC.

Happy we have kept hold of Buxton and Johnson though.

Some people obviously don't understand what this news means for Buxton, Johnson and O'Connor. It is no guarantee that they will be with us next season. All it means is that we will make them an offer. I would imagine that O'Connor will be delighted and take whatever he's given but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the other two will attract interest from elsewhere, especially as at this point no fee will be required to get them. After what happened with Richard Wood last season I would have hoped some lessons had been learnt, but apparently not. Why would you allow contracts of players you want to keep (and I think a clear majority would support Buxton and Johnson being retained) to expire so that they can leave for nothing?

chances of coke or palmer getting a look in decreasing

This is one of my worries.

I still think Coke is the best midfielder we have.

I think he and Palmer in CM would give us a pairing that had a lot of energy about them, allowing them to get round the pitch more to close opponents down and get forward quicker!

Bit puzzled that if Megson knew he was going to be getting rid of Miller, why was he a fixture in the starting line-up towards the end of the season?

Ok, an experienced head in the middle was valuable, but once we were mathematically safe from the drop he could have tried out Coke or Palmer in the centre for a few games to see what they could do.

the writing was on the wall for Miller, when we stoppled playing him so we wouldnt have to honour the clause in his contract offering him another year. For the money we are paying him, id expect us to go get another, better midfielder.

JOC - well, hes played well towards the end of the season, and im assuming Megson is planning on getting better players to go alongside him next season. i also expect to see Palmer and Coke start to replace JOC in a transition, especially when the need for a holding midfielder (i.e. our defence stops being turd) goes away.

Buxton is the big one for me - we have to be getting him signed up long term.

If Megson was intending to play Coke in Central midfield he already would have played him there.

JOC will be before him in the pecking order. Mark my words...that's if Coke stays of course.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about JOC. GM likes vocal players, players who put 100% and do what's asked of them. Until we find out how he's going to be used in the grand scheme of things ......... we should trust GM in his decisions. Let's wait and see how everything unfolds.

Some people obviously don't understand what this news means for Buxton, Johnson and O'Connor. It is no guarantee that they will be with us next season. All it means is that we will make them an offer. I would imagine that O'Connor will be delighted and take whatever he's given but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the other two will attract interest from elsewhere, especially as at this point no fee will be required to get them. After what happened with Richard Wood last season I would have hoped some lessons had been learnt, but apparently not. Why would you allow contracts of players you want to keep (and I think a clear majority would support Buxton and Johnson being retained) to expire so that they can leave for nothing?

from what JJ said on wednesday player a few week back, he wanted to stay here so i expect him to sign, buxton... who knows,

if he gets a better offer hes off.

I'm far from a JOC fan, I'm pretty sure him and Potter have scarred me for life.

However, looking at this with at least a shred of optimism...JOC has the kind of attitude that will help within the squad...and I do think he's being kept on primarily because he has experience and is settled in and will be a good voice on the training field in helping settle our new recruits.

He won't be on a big wage at all, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a large drop in wages to be honest. Miller is the better player, but he would have cost a lot more to retain and has had quite a bad injury record for us.

We already knew about JJ, and Buxton simply had to be offered a new contract as our best defender. The biggest concern remains getting rid of:

Spurr

Reynolds

Heffernan

Potter

Teale

Sedgwick

Clinton Morrison

and possibly Michael Morrison

Apparently already in Dubai, Megson has told him not to come back for pre season training and told him to find a new club!