Retained List

I'm far from a JOC fan, I'm pretty sure him and Potter have scarred me for life.

However, looking at this with at least a shred of optimism...JOC has the kind of attitude that will help within the squad...and I do think he's being kept on primarily because he has experience and is settled in and will be a good voice on the training field in helping settle our new recruits.

He won't be on a big wage at all, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a large drop in wages to be honest. Miller is the better player, but he would have cost a lot more to retain and has had quite a bad injury record for us.

We already knew about JJ, and Buxton simply had to be offered a new contract as our best defender. The biggest concern remains getting rid of:

Spurr

Reynolds

Heffernan

Potter

Teale

Sedgwick

Clinton Morrison

and possibly Michael Morrison

Great post mate.

JOC has the right attitude (unfortunatly not the ability) but should have a positive effect on the squad. I think JOC was made to look worse because he had to play a lot of his games next to Potter! Yaya Toure would sturggle next to potter! If JOC is to be a cheap sqaud player then fine.

And as great a player Miller was, it's sad to say but I thinks his legs have gone. Often injured and could hardly run.

And I agree with those that need to go. Could add Danniel Jones to that.

Edited by Lostowl

Great..

More seal impressions to watch next season.

No suprise, but still disappointed.

Ideal time to get him fooked off. Very poor player, who just grafts and that's it. Thought we would be looking at something a little better with our financial state now.

I will be really pissed if Buxton and JJ don't agree new deals too.

But what's the point in keeping him as a backup, surley there is someone better out there.

If we had 4 or 5 CM's of all similar quality then the competition for places would be greater. Megson said this at the Q&A he did. You don't want 2 quality ones and 2 average players. Would be much better to have 4 very good ones!

We havn't got Man City's wage budget though have we.

Hinds - It was inevitable he was going to be released.

Miller - Surprised but not totally shocked. I don't think he has what it takes to be effective over the course of a whole season. His injury record over the last 2 years probably didn't help his case?

Buxton - No brainer. Been our most consistent defender over the season. Has shown up Spurr and Reynolds in particular with his recent performances at left back.

JJ - Another no brainer. Inconsistent yes but name me anyone in our current squad with the qualities he posseses.

O'Connor - Hoping he would be released but we all know Megson loves him so that was never going to happen.

In Summary no really massive surprises. The one shoe in to re-sign is O'Connor. I think it'll be harder to tempt both Buxton & JJ to re-sign as I expect Championship Clubs to be interested in them. The really depressing thing for me is the prospect of O'Connor and Potter having the potential opportunity to carry on with their Barcelonaesque midfield combo. If Megson allows this potential to come to fruition then IMO he won't be in the S6 managerial hot seat come Christmas?

Guest Big Guns

I'm no fan of JOC, but some of the reactions on this thread are ridiculous.

wot a bloody disgrace

Guest Kray

they will both get offered, and snapped up by a couple of teams in the league above.

Great..

More seal impressions to watch next season.

No suprise, but still disappointed.

Ideal time to get him fooked off. Very poor player, who just grafts and that's it. Thought we would be looking at something a little better with our financial state now.

Sure we will be lookin to add something a little better!

Pretty sure that keeping JOC doesn't mean we won't be looking to improve in CM

I would hope that JOC is nowt more than a squad player next season...Miller??...probably money..he has skill but his legs are going...leaves enigmas such as Coke....Coke has shown he has the skill in patches, its a question of attitude...Does Megson think he can change that?

If getting rid of Miller means we can get Rob Jones or Batth...or both...I'll settle for that, both of them have made a massive difference at the back,Buxton has shown himself to be useful at this level.

See what unwinds in the close season

Guest londonowl1

our list of contracted players is scary reading...

how we guna out them? no one will sign them?

I wouldn't have JOC in the squad. What's the point of having a backup that can't back anything up. Limited pace, limited vision, creates very little, lightweight in the tackle. The opposition move past him like he's not there.

Scratching my head about Miller too! Head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield.

People say it's money, but I thought we had a few bob now?? praps not!

Edited by Davidioso

Sure we will be lookin to add something a little better!

Pretty sure that keeping JOC doesn't mean we won't be looking to improve in CM

I'm sure he will be looking at bringing in a centre midfielder.

However, I think with a current retained list of O'Connor, Potter, Palmer and Coke, we will only see one more centre mid come in.

I think we will see one of Coke & Potter let go, that would then leave three.

After that I can only see one brought in, making a list of four centre mids. Especially, when you consider Megaon has said he's got his eye on only six players and he making the squad smaller.

That disappoints me.

We should have got rid of O'Connor and Miller, plus moved on Potter.

Then added two better players to join Palmer and Coke as our four or the season.

Really disappointed, but no suprised in the slightest.

I honestly can't believe that JOC has been offered a new deal. What does Megson see in him? He can't takle (he usually just fouls on the edge of the box), he can't pass and his positioning is awful. Squad player or not I can't see where he fits in. If we don't get rid of Potter then I honestly can't see us doing anything again next season. We need a new central midfield pairing as none that we have are anywhere near good enough.

Just not bothered...

I'm sure he will be looking at bringing in a centre midfielder.

However, I think with a current retained list of O'Connor, Potter, Palmer and Coke, we will only see one more centre mid come in.

I think we will see one of Coke & Potter let go, that would then leave three.

After that I can only see one brought in, making a list of four centre mids. Especially, when you consider Megaon has said he's got his eye on only six players and he making the squad smaller.

That disappoints me.

We should have got rid of O'Connor and Miller, plus moved on Potter.

Then added two better players to join Palmer and Coke as our four or the season.

Really disappointed, but no suprised in the slightest.

Surly this has to happen

Bit surprised re JOC but I can see why managers like him.

Megson turned to him when we were in the poo and knew he would get 100% from him.

Also, we need a squad. Just because he's staying it doesn't mean he will be a regular starter.

Have faith in Megson.

Guest Sniper1

What i expected to be honest.

Hinds - No disrespect to Hinds but he isn't going to play for us again so free up the wages.

Miller - Good player and scored a few from midfield, these goals are going to need replacing, however Miller was on a good wage and id rather use this oppurtunity to freshen things up.

O'Conner - will sign a new deal, squad player at best.

Buxton - valuable squad member.

Johnson - personnally i think he will be off, its always worth having a player with that pace in any squad.

Now its the hard bit, getting rid of the other wasters.

We need to get rid of -

Potter, Reynolds, Spurr, Heffernan, Teale and Sedgwick.

Because if we ever play Potter and O'Conner together in our midfield again, i will kill some f'ker probably Potter with my bare hands in the centre circle at Hillsborough.

Guest chesowl

thats right folks the man who has very limited football ability if any at all will be spear heading a promotion push next season. with his fantastic clapping ability we cant fail.

Who has said he will be spearheading anything??? James O'Connor although having limited ability in certain areas will ALWAYS give you 100%, will NOT be a bad influence in the dressing room and I am pretty sure will be a squad player who doesn't whinge and moan.

Let Megson do his job and stop f&£king moaning.

It's hard to read too much into today's events If all those offered new contracts sign them and Megson wants a more manageable squad of 23, then we need to offload another 4. That is of course if none of the loan players come back and we still intend to bring 6 in As things stand the forward department is the weakest in terms of numbers We have only 3, and one of those, probably Heffernan will go, so at least 2 of the new boys will be strikers I feel

Unless we are going to see a reintroduction of the Potter JOC axis, two more central midfielders will be needed. As we still have four central defenders I'm hoping one new centre back will be enough. The last player I'm sure will be left sided, whether a full back or a winger, probably depending on who is leaving