Retained List

Guest all_about_wednesday

Kinda makes sense, but that's my opinion. No point paying miller top wages when hes getting on a bit. (hope theres a good replacement however) JOC is good back up but if hes in the first team selections I'll be shocked

Personally I like O'Connor as a fella, and respect him as a player, but...

In my team midfielder without pace, who can't pass the ball, and can't have decent shot on goal would be nowhere near the starting line-up.

I don't know what kind of wage packet can he demand, but he can't be kept for nothing else, but to play the role of a cheap "role-player"

Know OConners had a decent last few games but Im bloody amazed at that! :blink:

One could argue that if he is capable of playing well for the past couple of months......he is potentially good enough to play like that all season.....providing of course he has the right management and coaching direction and the right players around him

Only an opinion!

Don't read to much into contracted players and loans this is just sorting out realeased players and offering new any new signings will take a week or two,

But megson said he wants a healthy squad of 23 so 2 have gone then 5 loans are gone leaving 22 providing the 3 accept new contracts, so to bring 6 in we need to move on 5 more players

Spot on.........however, I believe he will try and bring in two of the loan players if he can......Jones and Mellor.

We know he will have to bring in a creative midfield player, or maybe two.....a winger and another striker. That is if JJ and Buxton both sign new contracts,

It was announced that they had a 'wanted list of 6'......Up to now, none of them have been brought in......Unless of course he is counting JOC, JJ and Buxton as 3 of the six?

Some people obviously don't understand what this news means for Buxton, Johnson and O'Connor. It is no guarantee that they will be with us next season. All it means is that we will make them an offer. I would imagine that O'Connor will be delighted and take whatever he's given but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the other two will attract interest from elsewhere, especially as at this point no fee will be required to get them. After what happened with Richard Wood last season I would have hoped some lessons had been learnt, but apparently not. Why would you allow contracts of players you want to keep (and I think a clear majority would support Buxton and Johnson being retained) to expire so that they can leave for nothing?

As I understand it......players who are not offered a new contract before the January transfer window are regarded as free agents and can look for another club.......the reasons why new contracts were not offered are also simple

1. The management and staff at the club were in a real financial mess before Xmas and were not in a position to start looking at contracts.

2. The new management and staff didn't arrive until February and, understandably, need time to assess the players before making such decisions.

Some right drama queens posting in this thread.

Anyone who thinks JOC has been offered a new contract because Megson wants him in his starting 11 is insane.

Agree......bringing in another midfielder as a squad player would not work.....at least JOC will fulfill that role knowing he will only get the occasional start and some bit parts during the season. He is capable of doing a job in midfield as his recent performances have shown.........so why all this fuss? Megson knows him better than most and seems to have got the best out of him where the other managers have failed.

Absolutely gobsmacked by this.

As if 3 flippingyears of watching him chase shadows and clap vigorously isn't enough for us?!

Madness. Complete and utter madness.

I've been 100% behind Megson up until this point. I think this is a very very very big mistake.

i agree...

megson will live,or die by his side and their performances and results next season...in this one move he's definitely not strengthened the m/f, i had hoped for better than o'conner, and miller next season...

we have to emulate brighton and southampton...this is not that sort of move...i don't know where a player like o'conner fits in for a side wanting automatic promotion...

i am shocked, and feel quite gutted...

it has been said before by others but nothing is decided here. Contracts have been offered and that is it. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them sign another contract at S6, then again they might all sign. And I'd wait and see who else is let go and who is brought in before deciding to hang myself. Some of you guys must be awfully tired getting so worked up all the time...keep your powder dry for the moment.

miller 11 goals.............o'clapper 4 i know who i'd have kept.

You seem to be mistaking the role of a midfielder with that of a striker, not to mention ignoring the fact that one of those players is also our penalty taker; a role in which he has been quite busy this season. Also, I think it's reasonably clear that Miller's departure is basically his own decision due to not being prepared to accept a lower salary. Had he agreed new terms maybe O'Connor wouldn't have been offered an extension?

...the reasons why new contracts were not offered are also simple

1. The management and staff at the club were in a real financial mess before Xmas and were not in a position to start looking at contracts.

2. The new management and staff didn't arrive until February and, understandably, need time to assess the players before making such decisions.

You do realise it's coming up to the middle of May don't you? If we end up losing Buxton and/or Johnson for nothing, as could easily happen, I would consider it a mistake by Mandaric and Megson. Weaver signed a new deal weeks ago; I don't see why his situation was so different.

I think a few are being a bit harsh on JOC here. No, he's not the best centre mid you'll ever find, but when he plays well, as he has done of late, he's pretty effective at what he does. I have no issues with him being offered another contract, but I hope Megson has some other centre mid targets lined up too.

There's nothing wrong with having a JOC type player in the squad.....SQUAD, not necessarily team. Do we still have a club captain? I wouldn't be massively suprised if he was used in this kind of role next season.

Well done JOC...!

Funny how many of those berating him were singing his praises a few weeks ago and berating him some weeks before that and...

Megson is in charge.

I'm happy to go with what he believes is right for the club and let him demonstrate that those are the right decisions next season.

He'll be judged on results and he will be acutely aware that MM only scores 2 on the owlstalk top trumps 'patience' category.

Right decision about Miller, games pass him by.

As for O'Connor being given a new contract ... angry.gif

Correct, Miller disapeared in a few games and was out for a full season proir to last season, He's clearly not the fittest player and we can't afford to take a gamble on building a team around a crock.

well done Miller but time to go. As for O'conner, not exactly what I wanted to see but would be usefull on the bench....I think?