Retained List

F*ck me, few overreactions on here. JOC will be a good squad player next season, he has the mental attributes Megson looks for in a player and i am for one fairly pleased we retained him, as i am quite sure he is a good influence on the younger lads in the squad.

Those saying joc is the cheap option might want to realise he's currently on around 5k per week.

They might also want reconsider this 'great' attitude of a player who only started to give a roger when an offer to play in America was withdraw, and he realised he wasn't going to get a club.

Very poor player and a very poor decision. Hopefully (and it must be) a massive wage cut and retained just as a squad player.

Also miller spoke to sufc a few weeks ago, so it ain't that unlikely.

Hmmmm I see the contract offer to O Connor in similarity to Lee Bullen

Didn't Megson say when he first came that if the squad had the attitude of O Connor, we would not be anywhere near the relegation zone? Didn't Laws and Irvine both praise O Connors attitude as well?

Bullen was very limited as a footballer but was well known to be one of the most professional players there was with his attitude. How many contract extensions did he sign, 2 or 3?

I doubt he'll be the first name on the team list, i'm sure it'll be more of a squad rotation role for O Connor than first team. Just hope he gets rid of Potter now, i'll quite happily do a Michael Owen brochure on Potter for all 92 clubs

Guest Big Guns

F*ck me, few overreactions on here. JOC will be a good squad player next season, he has the mental attributes Megson looks for in a player and i am for one fairly pleased we retained him, as i am quite sure he is a good influence on the younger lads in the squad.

ive heard he smokes crack

I would hope that JOC is nowt more than a squad player next season...Miller??...probably money..he has skill but his legs are going...leaves enigmas such as Coke....Coke has shown he has the skill in patches, its a question of attitude...Does Megson think he can change that?

If getting rid of Miller means we can get Rob Jones or Batth...or both...I'll settle for that, both of them have made a massive difference at the back,Buxton has shown himself to be useful at this level.

See what unwinds in the close season

I agree that Coke can be pretty exciting on the ball. The problem with Coke is when we don't have possession. He is the main culprit for not getting close enough to the opposition and this is one of the reasons why teams came to Hillsborough and their midfielders had time to pick a pass. I think O'Connor and Miller were Megson's preferred duo because they do press the ball and make the opposition hurry their passes even if, in O'Connor's case, that pressing rarely led to a successful tackle. Coke was substituted at half time at Walsall for O'Connor and suddenly the supply to Macken and Co dried up.

Personally I would have said thanks to JOC and good luck. I associate him with nothing but a failing team. (I'm afraid I had the same feelings about Pressman, a fan's favourite but I can only associate him with picking the ball out of the net.). Anyone who was involved in the relegation plus a bottom half L1 finish is tainted and if we start next season with a Potter/JOC midfield combination I think I might cry!

Very disappointed o'connor is to take up a shirt next season. Done nothing until the last few months, when I grant you he has put the effort in but nowhere near the quality required.

I always feel that we start a man down when he plays. Great opportunity missed IMO

I think attitude is playing a big part in this. If he trains well, others are more likely to do the same. GM needs people he can work with especially if he's bringing in loads of new players. He's settling out his new stall ................ this is how hard we are going to working round here, this is how we do things now. JOC will lead by example in this and hopefully all will follow. Their's more to this than just his role on the pitch IMO.

Guest Davidowls

JOC has steadily improved over the last few games and given a pre season will improve even more. He needs to keep an experienced player in the middle, wouldnt be surprised if R Jones doesnt sign then JOC will be skipper!! I Trust Megsons decision we have to and get behind our new team next year. Theres a little bit of ULTRA in all of us!!! UTO!!!

not sure if this has been said already but if JJ and Buxton dont renew as people are thinking, JOC will defo renew or he's fooked, so out of all players out of contract we left with JOC.....flippingfantastic, great bit of business (not)

so the six on meggos list will have to be eight if they dont renew

Guest foreverSWFC

You can tell alot of the people commenting on O'Connor do not attend the games.

Although you may not see it, JOC is a nasty player to play against, he is always in your face and a general nuisance to the oppositions midfield. What i have noticed the last 6 games or so, since JOC has come into the side, opposition midfielders have had far less time on the ball, and have given the ball away increasingly.

JOC offers you tremendous attitude, and willingness to win. I read a intterview with Darren Purse on OwlsOnline i think, and he also commented on his effort. JOC is not blessed with great ability and his height went against him alot in the Championship. He is an effective league one player, and he rarely misplaces a pass, which goes unnoticed by alot of the ignorant Wednesday fans.

Well done Megson, and well deserved James O' Connor. A shame about Miller though, like him, but hopefully this is a sign we are aiming for much better.

UTO

Whether or not Megson has made the correct decision to give JoC a contract all depends on who he signs in the summer.

If he signs 2 really good quality central midfielders and gets rid of Potter, then O'Connor will provide decent enough back-up for this level.

If Megson is seriously considering going with Potter and O'Connor as Plan A, Plan B or even plan flipping C, then it is an abysmal decision.

Let's wait and see who arrives through the doors at S6 over the summer is all i'l say.

I think what people need to remember is that we need 4 or 5 centre midfielders next season. GM clearly rates JOC as one of the best 2 we currently have therefore it seems logical that he is likely to be in the best 5 for next season.

Tommy Miller has been injury prone and that is likely to go against him.

Plus GM is probably looking at the balance of the squad. JOC is the only midfielder we have who is likely to be viewed as a defensive midfielder. Therefore I expect a new defensive midfielder to come in with JOC as back up. And a new attacking midfielder to come in with Coke and Palmer as back up. Potter to go.

Oakley and Clingan anybody?

For the record, the first 20 minutes of the second half is the first time I have seen a centre midfielder (Miller) completely run a game for us for 10 years plus.

Is that when we surrended the fookin' midfield by playing keepball and let Exeter move up and pressurise us ?

I was hoping O'Connor would be let go, first class attitude but for me he's been part of a losing culture we need to eradicate.

Too ineffective and I'm not convinced by some good performances in the latter part of the season against teams who had little to play for or were very poor.

Hope he's offered a considerably lower wage than he's on because his ability has not justified a Championship contract in the last 3 years.

Guest JonTheOwl66

i thought everyone said Buxton was off ?

Just because he's been offered another deal doesn't mean he's staying.

not sure if this has been said already but if JJ and Buxton dont renew as people are thinking, JOC will defo renew or he's fooked, so out of all players out of contract we left with JOC.....flippingfantastic, great bit of business (not)

so the six on meggos list will have to be eight if they dont renew

why is it that joc will renew if jj and buxton dont? why will joc be fooked?

Guest foreverSWFC

Is that when we surrended the fookin' midfield by playing keepball and let Exeter move up and pressurise us ?

No, that is not what happened. We were playing comfortably like a team in the lead at home should do at 1-0 up, and we were playing the keep ball game very well.

Then Megson changed it to 433, and we had no outlet out wide, then we began to let exeter pressurise us.

Those saying joc is the cheap option might want to realise he's currently on around 5k per week.

They might also want reconsider this 'great' attitude of a player who only started to give a roger when an offer to play in America was withdraw, and he realised he wasn't going to get a club.

Very poor player and a very poor decision. Hopefully (and it must be) a massive wage cut and retained just as a squad player.

Also miller spoke to sufc a few weeks ago, so it ain't that unlikely.

I wish i was itk.