Lee Hughes

It's looking more and more like you know something, James.......you seem to be in fire fighting mode.

As for the community service, try and find out if he's done any first before using it to make Hughes look 'better'............it's easy to say stuff you dont mean, especially when it serves your own interests.

Edited by Weshallovercome

The very fact this debate is even happening should be enough to put us off from signing him.

We have a wonderful new era at this club and the fans are content- you can't justify putting that at risk in order to sign someone who has a decent goal record but is 34 years old.

What's the point of the risk? Is Lee Hughes so good that we should take the risk of signing him (for a ridiculous amount of money) and thereby upsetting many of our fans. Walkey's attitude (right or wrongly) is one which is held by thousands of people and in a choice between signing Hughes and potentially losing quite a few of them, or keeping them and not signing Hughes...there's only one winner.

I'm not arguing this from a moral/ethical viewpoint- if anything i'm coming from a strictly financial angle here- this would be a bad signing for SWFC.

This man speaks the truth.

We've seen what happens when we sign older players on large contracts or pay a fee for them.

The Mandaric era is about bringing through quality potential and individuals who we believe can take us to the next level.

Hughes may do a job this season but he wouldn't be a great signing for years to come.

We need to think practically here.

You can cheer him all you like Grandad - but I won't, ever.

I agree he has done his time, but I just don't want him anywhere near the Club.

The bits in bold hit the nail on the head 100%. And the reason I won't be "cheering his third goal securing securing our promotion" is because I won't be watching there watching it. There is absoultely no way my money is being spent on that scum.

When Luke McCormick gets out, would it be acceptable for him to be considered as a potential Wednesday player? Surely as a club, we have morals over and above the English Legal System

I really don't think he'll sign, and he's not the sort of signing we should make (age constraint, and maybe not ideal for the new family friendly SWFC).

One question though, how did Oldham and Notts County fans react to him signing?

Don't want him here, the guys scum, a murderer and I wouldn't ever want a wednesday player like that, even if it was a accident. And the fact he's flipping 34 and we could be paying £200,000 is staggering. Here's an idea irvine you boring bellend, how about spending that money on a central midfielder to replace the poo poo like potter and o'connor in the position we continually get over run in game in game out.

Here is the Brighton fans take on it. Some quality posts.

I presume you're referring to Owlstalk? Try Owlsonline or Owlsalive for a more balanced perspective.

well Hughes has a criminal record and last I heard Madine was due in court on an assault charge so they should get on well together?

Their forums are unreal in terms of expectation in relation to reality. Complete denial! I really hope they fail but I reckon if we continue as we are it will be either Wednesday or Huddersfield to come up automatically while one of those plus SCC compete via the play-offs.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?192685-Lee-Hughes-to-Wednesday/page2

Before everyone starts going mental, other colourful characters at SWFC include:

Milan Mandaric - charged with Tax Evasion

Paul Aldridge - accused of lying to a premier league pannel (though didn't get a chance to defend himself)

THE RADIATOR -charge with false imprisonment

Gary Madine - charge with assult

at least 2 of these are fan's favourites (this week at least). Why would Lee Hughes be any different? What if it were your sister who THE RADIATOR allegedly imprisoned etc. etc?

Personally, I don't think we should sign him based on the fact he is 34 and incredibly slow. The majority of his goals are made by Ben Davies at Notts County and we don't have anyone anywhere near as good as him on the ball or at set pieces in midfield, so I doubt he will be a success under Irvine.

Key differences:

MM - Hasn't had a trial yet so innocent until proven guilty

PA - Is that even a criminal offence?

RJ - Unless I am mistaken, we signed him not knowing of his impeding trial. Also innocent until proven otherwise

GM - He pleaded guilty to ABH. There is a massive difference between what Gary Madine got done for and what Lee Hughes got six years for.

Key differences:

MM - Hasn't had a trial yet so innocent until proven guilty

PA - Is that even a criminal offence?

RJ - Unless I am mistaken, we signed him not knowing of his impeding trial. Also innocent until proven otherwise

GM - He pleaded guilty to ABH. There is a massive difference between what Gary Madine got done for and what Lee Hughes got six years for.

Are you a barrister ?

Very sad how they have time not just to come and sniff about on Owlstalk but two other of our forums aswell. I'm going to start calling them the Brighton Blades :rolleyes:

Yet they will be saying how we are not a big club, and we think everyone cares about us when they dont.

They just troll our forums for fun I guess?

It's looking more and more like you know something, James.......you seem to be in fire fighting mode.

As for the community service, try and find out if he's done any first before using it to make Hughes look 'better'............it's easy to say stuff you dont mean, especially when it serves your own interests.

Hand on heart, I know absolutely nothing. The only 'fighting mode' is just adding a bit of objectivity, balance and 'devil's advocacy' to a very subjective and emotional thread.

As for the bold part, perhaps some people in this very thread should take note of that on the other side of the coin.