Lee Hughes

To be honest, its not the his past that puts me off him signing for us. Its the fact we may be paying £200k for someone of his age in a position we dont need any more players.

I really hate his face too.

Irvine doesn't rate Heffernan and would directly replace him with a superior player. I'm sure midfield will be taken care of in due course.

True we are not a church, but this club is a major role model in the local community, and employing someone like him isn't setting an example. Yes we all make mistakes, and yes he's served his punishment, but I don't get the impression he's at all sorry for what he did. I can't blame him for getting his career back on track, but if I were him i'd keep my head down and get on with my job, not perform a jovial dance everytime he scores, or jokingly revelling in the abuse he gets while warming up on the bench

Good post - hoewever personally i am always uneasy about moralising when it comes to players - how far does it go?

I mean, our current new centre back who is already taking on cult status has his name on here modified in "celebration" of an incident which could possibly turn out to be a major and pretty despicable crime

So we need to be careful when drawing those lines on the sand imo

Ive argued the throw on here (for no other reason than to wind people up in most cases) re jail sentences and have been regularly told that its about re-habilitation - not punishment.

Suddenly - I'm told that its not about rehabilitation at all - but that this 'tvvat' should still be inside as his punishment for what he did.

Which is it? Make your minds up people

I've not argued he should still be inside, just that I don't want him at Hillsborough. Maybe it's because I'm a massive part-timer and crap fan etc etc, but to me football is not the be all and end all, I want to be proud of my team and their players and I could never be proud to say Lee Hughes is our man.

It would be a bit of a strange signing, but hey ho.

Yes it's contraversial and yes it was shocking what he did, but he's served his time and i'm sure he apprciates that he will get stick being a football for the rest of his career.

As to whether that he was in prison was long enough or not is a different story, but he didn't issue the sentence.

Whilst not directly comparable in terms of 'crime', it was like those that constantly bashed Franny Jeffers. The only reason they did, is that he earnt so much, but at the end of the day it was the people running the club who offered him the money and that wasn't Jeffers fault.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Why?, because he's a footballer. Hardly anyone serves their full sentence that's the way of the system. Pretty shitty system but need to assess his case on a fair consistent basis.

No because I think the system in the country is too lenient, 6 years should mean 6 years, be it Hughes or me or thee. But thats a whole other argument

Also to the people who are comparing what he did to RJ or Madine, saying 'how would you feel if it was your sister/brother/random family member he did that to'.

Christ, I'd feel the man was a tailface, and I'd say 'isn't that right brother/sister/mum/dad/grandma' and I'm sure they'd agree. Slight difference there to the family of Hughes' victim, no?

The very fact this debate is even happening should be enough to put us off from signing him.

We have a wonderful new era at this club and the fans are content- you can't justify putting that at risk in order to sign someone who has a decent goal record but is 34 years old.

What's the point of the risk? Is Lee Hughes so good that we should take the risk of signing him (for a ridiculous amount of money) and thereby upsetting many of our fans. Walkey's attitude (right or wrongly) is one which is held by thousands of people and in a choice between signing Hughes and potentially losing quite a few of them, or keeping them and not signing Hughes...there's only one winner.

I'm not arguing this from a moral/ethical viewpoint- if anything i'm coming from a strictly financial angle here- this would be a bad signing for SWFC.

In any other form of crime i could agree with you Grandad ,Apart from garry glitter type's, but to take an innocents life is a biggy ,

And im afraid i feel for the family in that case ,lee hughe's i'm afraid is lower than a snakes belly ,and to do a runner makes it a hundred times worse ,The other week mate you were saying about having less and less time with your youngster ,well i am in the same boat, and it kills me Grandad and i bet it does you ,Now put it into perspective if that poor deceased had a family (,put the boot on the other foot) ,they have no chance of seeing their loved one ,thanks to that imbecile ,

In all respect Grandad i tend to agree with a lot of your post's, But i can't on this one , I lost my dad when i was five so i know about the pain it caused and still does to this day ,

Good post - hoewever personally i am always uneasy about moralising when it comes to players - how far does it go?

I mean, our current new centre back who is already taking on cult status has his name on here modified in "celebration" of an incident which could possibly turn out to be a major and pretty despicable crime

So we need to be careful when drawing those lines on the sand imo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Edited by NorthernOwl

That is a real shame. I have had both types recently - the Suet and the 'flat' Puff pastry.

The Suet one I had, had plenty of meat in it. Are you sure you didn't get a rogue one? The suet does tend to be thick though.

Feel really bad for recommending them, now.

All I can say is that I will still be having them.

Probably used to better produce in Belgium?

You didn't recommend then as such, more like rekindled old memories :biggrin: .............I have a second one, so I'll let you know if it's any better.

as to the second bit.........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The FOOTBALL COMES FIRST - everything else will follow.

We put the cart before the horse before and that didn't help us in being in this division

I think Lee Hughes will look great wearing our shirt with the SCH logo on it :dry: ............that to me is more piously hypercritical than me saying we shouldn't sign the cowardly scumbag.

Get a grip........think about it.