Lee Hughes

I do wonder whether Irvine either thinks having a midfield is a waste of time or he can't put a decent one together.

Strange if true.

4:1:5 anyone?

We have been linked to a winger or 2 though. So we could go 4 2 4

.............GK

RB.....CB.....CB.....LB

RW.......................LW

ST.....ST.....ST.....ST

:biggrin:

Think may go 4-3-1-2

Weaver

Buxton Morrison radiator Reynolds

Miller Andrews coke

Teale

Morrison mellor

What on earth makes you think we'll 4-3-1-2???

I see no indication whatsoever that this is a formation Irvine would ever play. I certainly doubt that that would be an effective position for Teale anyway.

Guest GodsanOwl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all make mistakes, we all drive after the odd drink…if you are over the limit, and we all know when that is, regardless of what we say to others, and then get in a car and drive, then you are doing that with the full knowledge that your actions could lead to someones injury or death.

If you do that…you are doing something that’s premeditated to my mind…step away from the car, order a taxi, stop overnight, anything but do not get into that car…If you do and something goes wrong then you have to be willing to accept the consequences of your actions. YOU MUST IMVHO accept it, whatever those consequences are.

I’ve been at incidents like the one Hughes created, where people are injured or worse, either dead or close to it. Stuck in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, isolated, in pain, in need of help, in need of a friendly voice…ANY voice…someone to reassure them, not even that, just to connect them back with reality…it’s an amazing thing being there for someone when they really need it. You don’t have to know what to do, you don’t have to do anything physically to make them better, but to talk to them, maybe hold their hand…that’s flippingpowerful stuff I can tell ya and it gives you hope and you know you’re not alone…to be in pain like that, to be able to see or hear your loved ones in the same sort of pain…calling to them and not getting a response…you picture that bugger…you’re powerless…stuck…can’t flippingmove for love nor money and you can’t see or hear your mates, your family, your kids…is there anything worse than that?

To flip off and leave them to die…well, he’s beyond contempt IMO and is every last bit as bad as ‘murder’.

He may not be a murderer in the proper sense of the word but if it makes the bugger squirm GOOD! If it makes him wince whenever he hears it GOOD!

Unfortunately it does none of those things…instead he sticks his thumb up and smiles with a wink…jack the lad…having the craic with away fans.

THAT’S something I saw first hand from the cod canyon…NOT speculation, NOT Chinese whispers, I saw it happen.

The bloke is a cod canyon.

The judge criticised Hughes for having a "callous disregard" for the four occupants of the other car

He didn’t get anywhere near a fitting sentence for what he did and yes, I know that’s not his fault but which of us, had we done the same thing could come back to our jobs and carry on as if nothing had happened?

I know I couldn’t…even if physically and mentally I was able to do it, they wouldn’t give me my job back and rightly so. This cod canyon comes out of prison after no sentence at all (Not his fault the sentencing is poo poo I know) but if the orignal sentence of 6 years was wee wee poor then serving only half of that is a joke.

In the 25 years I’ve been in this job I’ve been to hundreds of these incidents and whilst we joke about my genuinely poo poo memory on most things, if I shut my eyes I can recall probably around 95% of these incidents in graphic detail, like watching a film.

I hope, genuinely hope he has this memory in his mind, as vivid and gory in every single detail as it’s possible to have. If it causes him heartache at every opportunity, endless sleepless nights, then that’s fine by me, he should never be allowed to forget this, ever and IMVHO he shouldn’t be allowed in football.

Who cares if he’s not a murder by the definition of the word?

Who really cares about the definition of the word?

I mean what’s the argument here?

You don’t want people to call him a murder?

You think being called a murderer when all you’ve done is kill someone is a tad harsh?

You think people are giving the word ‘murderer’ a bad name?

Criminal misuse of the word 'murderer'?

If people want to call him a murdering cod canyon why the flip should we care?

3 words…

A callous disregard!

He didn’t care when he legged it that night why should any of us care about that cod canyon?

flip him!

All IMVHO of course and everyone else is fully entitled to their opinion

This is a post from another site by a poster who's opinion I regard very highly,

This would be a very contentious signing.

If this poster is a police officer, which i'm assuming he is, then he should really start understanding the law!! Hughes did not get convicted of drink driving, for all we know he was being a bit stupid doing too much speed for the road he was on (might not have even been over the speed limit) lost control on a bend and hit another car.

As for leaving the scene.....he was a young guy with a high pofile, he panicked! He pictured the front page of the sun the next morning with his mug blazened across it and thought 'sod that'!! He didn't know someone was dead, he and his passenger had got out without a scratch, why would he think the other car was any different?!

BTW, as for a coppers view being beyond question, I until a couple of years ago worked for an ex police officer who was at the Hillsborough disaster, he was of the opinion the police did nothing wrong and it was solely the fans fault......still!

That bit was typo meant 3 cm miller coke and Andrews with one winger a bit more advanced. With option to switch left to right etc to cause most problems

Okay. I think he might be more inclined to try that when needs must.

I'd like to think we'll stick with 4-4-2 for the most part though.

Hughes did not get convicted of drink driving, for all we know he was being a bit stupid doing too much speed for the road he was on (might not have even been over the speed limit) lost control on a bend and hit another car.

As for leaving the scene.....he was a young guy with a high pofile, he panicked! He pictured the front page of the sun the next morning with his mug blazened across it and thought 'sod that'!! He didn't know someone was dead, he and his passenger had got out without a scratch, why would he think the other car was any different?!

Yes. The Judge agreed with you after the jury convicted him.

On 9 August 2004, Hughes was found guilty of causing the death by dangerous driving of Douglas Graham, and of leaving the scene of an accident. The judge criticised Hughes for having a "callous disregard" for the four occupants of the Renault and sentenced him to six years imprisonment. Hughes was also banned from driving for ten years. His contract with West Bromwich Albion was terminated. In January 2005, his appeal for the sentence to be reduced was refused.

Why would he be charged with drink driving (when he left the scene and wasn't 'found' for 24 hours) when he was charged with the higher 'tarrif' of causing death by dangerous driving.

Are you trying to say that he didn't do a runner because he hadn't been drinking or wasn't speeding?

Did the Appeal Court think that.

It is all about having principles isn't it? You can't leave your principles at the gates of Hillsborough just because it suits.

I for one don't want him anywhere near my Club.

The man acted disgracefully.

On 9 August 2004, Hughes was found guilty of causing the death by dangerous driving of Douglas Graham, and of leaving the scene of an accident. The judge criticised Hughes for having a "callous disregard" for the four occupants of the Renault and sentenced him to six years imprisonment. Hughes was also banned from driving for ten years. His contract with West Bromwich Albion was terminated. In January 2005, his appeal for the sentence to be reduced was refused.

Why would he be charged with drink driving (when he left the scene and wasn't 'found' for 24 hours) when he was charged with the higher 'tarrif' of causing death by dangerous driving.

Are you trying to say that he didn't do a runner because he hadn't been drinking or wasn't speeding?

It is all about having principles isn't it? You can't leave your principles at the gates of Hillsborough just because it suits.

Couldn't agree more, RO..........the fact he's 'high profile' doesn't come into it, doing a runner suggests he was over the limit, utterly contemptible or both........I know which one I'm going for.

btw....had my first Fray Bentos steak and kidney suet pud in 10 years yesterday........there was no kidney in it or meat for that matter and the suet was 10mm thick, very disappointed.......does nothing ever stay the same? :sad:

So I now have to add Fray Bentos to my 'must write a complaint when I can be arses' list........along with Branston Pickle and Gillette razor blades.

Totally agree with this. It's all very well saying he didn't know anyone was dead, that just makes it worse. What if someone needed help? What if he could've prevented a death? He didn't know as he cared more about his reputation. Disgusting.

Guest Stereophonics

I wouldn't want him wearing out shirt.

My cousin died after being hit by a hit and run driver so I would find it very difficult to go to Hillsborough whilst he was playing for us knowing that I was contributing to his wages.

Edited by Stereophonics

Totally agree with this. It's all very well saying he didn't know anyone was dead, that just makes it worse. What if someone needed help? What if he could've prevented a death? He didn't know as he cared more about his reputation. Disgusting.

The fact he did what he did after the accident was reflected in his sentence though surely?

A sentence which he has now served.

As a football fan, you want to be proud of your team, and its players, clap them when they run on to the field and sing their names when they do something good etc.

I just couldnt bring myself to stand up and sing a Lee Hughes song, no matter how many times he scored.

Please dont give him a Blue and White shirt.

So he acted selfishly. He had a lot to lose and chose to try and protect that instead of stopping to help.

If everyone here was being completely honest instead of taking the moral highroad, they may have done a similar thing were they in a similar situation. Yes it is selfish, yes it is callous and disgusting. But everyone has acted selfishly in this life. Albeit with lower stakes usually. It's human nature.

Would you want to be defined forever by your worst action in this life?

Or would you want to be forgiven?

It's easy to point the finger at others. Far too easy.

Edited by Beholder

btw....had my first Fray Bentos steak and kidney suet pud in 10 years yesterday........there was no kidney in it or meat for that matter and the suet was 10mm thick, very disappointed.......does nothing ever stay the same? :sad:

That is a real shame. I have had both types recently - the Suet and the 'flat' Puff pastry.

The Suet one I had, had plenty of meat in it. Are you sure you didn't get a rogue one? The suet does tend to be thick though.

Feel really bad for recommending them, now.

All I can say is that I will still be having them.

Probably used to better produce in Belgium?

moral highroad

What is this moral high ground? Is this something new?

I was brought up with principles - 'treat people as you would expect to be treated yourself'. I don't class my morals as being particularly 'high'. I just have them and really find it hard to mitigate for what Lee Hughes did.

So I wouldn't even try to, personally. What he did was disgraceful.

I can't just 'forget' them because it suits. You live by your code and I will live by mine.

Should he be forgiven and given another chance? - well that is a different question.

But not at Hillsborough thanks.

The fact he did what he did after the accident was reflected in his sentence though surely?

A sentence which he has now served.

I think this view has unquestionable merit. At least it doesn't attempt to mitigate for his callousness and cowardice.

Can't argue with it if you believe in redemption. Same goes for Marlon King too.

So my views have to be personal - I wouldn't want him - but that is just possibly me.