Lee Hughes

Guest intercity0wl

The fact he did what he did after the accident was reflected in his sentence though surely?

A sentence which he has now served.

100% correct.

the pr spin starts already, he's coming lads :ohmy:

I thought that when I read it.

Well when one comes in two go out sadly as both of us cant stomach seeing him in a Wednesday shirt.

Hopefully common sense and decency will prevail, but I cant see it as both qualities are rare in football these days.

So I assume you have never acted from self interest at the expense of someone else then? If that is how you say you have been brought up?

You may say you are not that high principled but this thread is full of bloody pious finger pointers and i would bet my right ARM that if we were to subject your life to close scrutiny there would be some questionable things. how about if the whole world knew about them and forever defined you by them?

Let he is without sin cast the first stone.

If this was about Madine, I'd agree, because who hasn't got into fights; no judgement there. If it was about RJ I'd agree, because who hasn't, erm, chained a ***** to a radiator. No judgement there. In the very specific area of causing a death then running away to get the alcohol out of my system, I'm cast shitloads of stones. I'm casting boulders mate. To me there is a massive difference between being a bit of a thug and taking someone's life.

An interesting post.

Did you boycott EastEnders when murderer Leslie Grantham was in it and played Dirty Den?

Yes, yes I did.

And I have continued to boycott it since, as I also pre-emptively boycotted it before he was in it.

So I assume you have never acted from self interest at the expense of someone else then? If that is how you say you have been brought up?

You may say you are not that high principled but this thread is full of bloody pious finger pointers and i would bet my right ARM that if we were to subject your life to close scrutiny there would be some questionable things. how about if the whole world knew about them and forever defined you by them?

THIS

Guest Deleted member

Yes, yes I did.

And I have continued to boycott it since, as I also pre-emptively boycotted it before he was in it.

wasnt he in it from the start?

Before everyone starts going mental, other colourful characters at SWFC include:

Milan Mandaric - charged with Tax Evasion

Paul Aldridge - accused of lying to a premier league pannel (though didn't get a chance to defend himself)

THE RADIATOR -charge with false imprisonment

Gary Madine - charge with assult

at least 2 of these are fan's favourites (this week at least). Why would Lee Hughes be any different? What if it were your sister who THE RADIATOR allegedly imprisoned etc. etc?

Personally, I don't think we should sign him based on the fact he is 34 and incredibly slow. The majority of his goals are made by Ben Davies at Notts County and we don't have anyone anywhere near as good as him on the ball or at set pieces in midfield, so I doubt he will be a success under Irvine.

What gets me is how they walk back into the job as footballers after tarnishing the sport in such a way , many a person who has been put in prison ,hardly ever get offered work when released.

Yet these so called high profile players walk straight back into the game, Its so wrong , id'e sack the feckin lot of em ,and give youngsters a chance to break through .Replace the guilty with the inocent

Guest intercity0wl

Have I ever left four people to potentially die as a result of my reckless behaviour?

Would I run away to save my own skin as opposed to saving theirs? I hope not.

I bet not many of our lads and lassies in Aghanistan have done that either.

It is called having principles, standards and honour.

RO your and my opinion as usual differ on this one ( nowt wrong with that) but one thing i would agree with you on is the three little words "I hope not" but unless i was ever in his shoes i cannot with 100% certainty say i would make the same wrong decision as he did at that critical moment in time.

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Mate - not that I am involved in any transfer stuff so know much more than anyone on here anyway but if I did know then I wouldn't say one way or the other. There are proper processes to go through and me blabbing about stuff on here isn't one of them (and wouldn't necessarily do me any favours in any case).

Interesting thread though. Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that people are focusing on him doing time. Yes, it's a big thing but he has served his sentence has he not? There's hardly any posts in a 4+ page thread whatsoever about his footballing ability, which is all we'd actually need to know about him, isn't it? Any other player and the thread would have had all his stats splattered all over it, his goals ratio discussed ad nauseum and endless conversation on the merits of his running, passing and finishing.

For reference his stats show that he has scored 168 goals from 312 league starts, including 37 from 49 for Notts County since July 2009, and has a career league goal ratio of 0.46: http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=3687

His football ability is secondary when we discuss the ethics of the man, we were all up in arms when Bowyer and Woodgate assaulted the Asian lad, we were wanting blood when Marlon King beat and sexually assaulted a young lass now, their footballing abilities never came into question, two of those players have played at the top level for many a year and have made many multi million pound transfers however quite simply put they are complete scum.

Same with Hughes, the fact that he killed a man through his selfishness and latterly drunkeness isn't the issue it was the fact that he ran off from the scene like the coward he is, then 3 years later he gets back into his normal life and all the time he's still a two hat (ask people in Oldham about his lovely behaviour), he should not be back in the game at all IMHO he should still be locked up or at least onlly just been released. If he comes to Hillsborough I will roundly boo his every touch, call him a coward and general abuse the flip out of him so he gets the message.

Jesus wept are we goning to be hypocrites and welcome him with open arms just 4 months after branding him a murderer?

Guest Deleted member

I don't think Ive ever read a thread quite so full of pious hypocrisy - god theres some holier-than-thou people on here.

He made a MASSIVE error in his life, HUGE, no one can deny that. But the courts saw fit to sentence him, he served the time the courts felt was right, and he was released. He didn't escape FFS.

If he joins us at Wednesday I will support him. His goals ratio is what I'm interested in - and whether he can do a job for us. Pretty much all of what I've read above is irrelevant. We're a football club, not a church.

exactly

to sign a tw@ like him, he'd need to be a massive improvement on what we have

He is a massive improvement on our strikers though really. Probably would be our joint best with a fully firing Clinton Morrison. For example Notts County fans know Heffernan well and they don't see him as fit to tie his laces, should we offer a swap. As I stated earlier, his footballing age is misleading because he had a three year break.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I don't think Ive ever read a thread quite so full of pious hypocrisy - god theres some holier-than-thou people on here.

He made a MASSIVE error in his life, HUGE, no one can deny that. But the courts saw fit to sentence him, he served the time the courts felt was right, and he was released. He didn't escape FFS.

If he joins us at Wednesday I will support him. His goals ratio is what I'm interested in - and whether he can do a job for us. Pretty much all of what I've read above is irrelevant. We're a football club, not a church.

Wow, I didn;t expect that from you TBF.

Guest Deleted member

If he comes to Hillsborough I will roundly boo his every touch, call him a coward and general abuse the flip out of him so he gets the message.

I will ensure I sit near you if this is the case as I'd love to see you boo his 3rd goal in the hat-trick that secures promotion

Guest intercity0wl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

An interesting post.

Did you boycott EastEnders when murderer Leslie Grantham was in it and played Dirty Den?

I boycotted it because it was a shitty soap that never interested me...

Any other player and the thread would have had all his stats splattered all over it

He's not "any other player" though is he? He's a convicted killer first as far as I'm concerned. We're supposed to be a family club, a community club, there's nothing family or community about employing detritus like Lee Hughes.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I will ensure I sit near you if this is the case as I'd love to see you boo his 3rd goal in the hat-trick that secures promotion

More than welcome, if you think this will happen, ie he scores a hat-trick to get us promoted you're off your rocker and need help

If only you were so quick to forgive James O'Connor. lol

Guest Deleted member

Wow, I didn;t expect that from you TBF.

Ive argued the throw on here (for no other reason than to wind people up in most cases) re jail sentences and have been regularly told that its about re-habilitation - not punishment.

Suddenly - I'm told that its not about rehabilitation at all - but that this 'tvvat' should still be inside as his punishment for what he did.

Which is it? Make your minds up people

Guest intercity0wl

I boycotted it because it was a shitty soap that never interested me...

He's not "any other player" though is he? He's a convicted killer first as far as I'm concerned. We're supposed to be a family club, a community club, there's nothing family or community about employing detritus like Lee Hughes.

And its this family community club garbage thats has crept in that is the one thing that would hold this club back from the future it will have, if it was not for the fact that MM knows above all else its a Football club in a results based buisness and getting the best players possible into the club is the only way to have a chance of being successful.