Lee Hughes

Hand on heart, I know absolutely nothing. The only 'fighting mode' is just adding a bit of objectivity, balance and 'devil's advocacy' to a very subjective and emotional thread.

As for the bold part, perhaps some people in this very thread should take note of that on the other side of the coin.

We're definitely signing him then

Don't want him here, the guys scum, a murderer and I wouldn't ever want a wednesday player like that, even if it was a accident. And the fact he's flipping 34 and we could be paying £200,000 is staggering. Here's an idea irvine you boring bellend, how about spending that money on a central midfielder to replace the poo poo like potter and o'connor in the position we continually get over run in game in game out.

Couldn't agree more.

I went to Notts County away. Couldn't stand to have him in an owls shirt, end of. He looked smug all match. Better things to spend SWFC's money on.

I can understand a lot of the feeling on here but there is a few people who to a certain extent would forget his previous misdemeanours if he came here and scored the goals that got us into the Play-Offs or better. His goalscoring record suggests he is more than capable of this? That said, I can't understand why Irvine (if indeed he is?) is considering this move because it's only increasing the negativity towards him and if it went wrong then I wonder which way he'd be able to turn then?

im not defending the guy but football is what he does best for a living, say he was a plumber would people say he shouldn't do that after serving his time, terrible what the guy did, inexcusable in fact but he still has to earn a living somehow whether its at wednesday or else where.

If this poster is a police officer, which i'm assuming he is, then he should really start understanding the law!! Hughes did not get convicted of drink driving, for all we know he was being a bit stupid doing too much speed for the road he was on (might not have even been over the speed limit) lost control on a bend and hit another car.

As for leaving the scene.....he was a young guy with a high pofile, he panicked! He pictured the front page of the sun the next morning with his mug blazened across it and thought 'sod that'!! He didn't know someone was dead, he and his passenger had got out without a scratch, why would he think the other car was any different?!

BTW, as for a coppers view being beyond question, I until a couple of years ago worked for an ex police officer who was at the Hillsborough disaster, he was of the opinion the police did nothing wrong and it was solely the fans fault......still!

He's not, he's a fireman

One question though, how did Oldham and Notts County fans react to him signing?

When he finally came back to football there was a really good article in the Guardian. This is all I could find but it seems a bit shorter than I remembered it.

I recalled that the Chairman of Oldham went to a lot of trouble before finally taking him on. For instance I think the victims family were consulted(?).

'I only wish I could turn back the clock, but I know I can't' New Oldham striker Hughes is unveiled by club

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 28 August 2007

Lee Hughes today admitted he will never again speak of the incident that saw him imprisoned, in which he crashed his Mercedes into another car, killing its driver before fleeing the scene and not giving himself up to police for more than a day.

Speaking at his official unveiling at Oldham this afternoon, the 31-year-old striker spoke of his "dreadful mistakes" having recently been released after a three-year spell in prison for causing the death of Douglas Graham by dangerous driving.

"I only wish I could turn back the clock, but I know I can't," said Hughes. "Nothing I can do or say will change what has happened. In going some way to facing my responsibilities, I have met a relative of the man who died, and what was said will always remain a personal and private matter. I have made dreadful mistakes and decisions that I will have to live with for the rest of my life."

Hughes revealed he thought long and hard about returning to football and is braced for abuse when he turns out for Oldham. "It is a difficult decision to make," he added. "I did think about what would be best - if I should or shouldn't go back. I gave it a lot of thought, but I thought it would be best if I tried to rebuild my career. I will have to handle everything that's thrown at me. I'm here to do a job. I understand that people are going to say things about me, but I have just got to deal with it. I'm determined to do well here, score goals and help Oldham get promoted."

The Oldham chairman Simon Blitz insists the club did not make any moral judgements in deciding to sign Hughes. "We don't make a moral judgement," said Blitz. "We don't condone what happened in the past, we have respect for the family and for us it is a pure footballing matter. We can't tell other people what to do if they want to make moral judgement - we as a club don't make the moral judgement."

Guest Mexico Baby

im not defending the guy but football is what he does best for a living, say he was a plumber would people say he shouldn't do that after serving his time, terrible what the guy did, inexcusable in fact but he still has to earn a living somehow whether its at wednesday or else where.

Yeah he's entitled to try and make a living, using your example, I would let him near my toilet and certainly don't want him at our club!

Hughes revealed he thought long and hard about returning to football and is braced for abuse when he turns out for Oldham. "It is a difficult decision to make," he added. "I did think about what would be best - if I should or shouldn't go back. I gave it a lot of thought, but I thought it would be best if I tried to rebuild my career... where I earn thousands of pounds a week kicking a bag of air around a field and people cheer me when i put it in a net.

Thought I'd add to that.

Just for a little bit of scope.

Brighton fans are amusing when they say we have unrealistic expectations.

We are undoubtedly a bigger club and any club that has tasted success at the top level will never settle for anything less.

If anyone is getting too big for their boots its them, the constant focus on clubs like us and Southampton just makes them look like a club with little man syndrome. Fair play to them and their chairman for showing ambition and dragging their club into a new era, but we have a potential that they would struggle to match.

True we are not a church, but this club is a major role model in the local community, and employing someone like him isn't setting an example. Yes we all make mistakes, and yes he's served his punishment, but I don't get the impression he's at all sorry for what he did. I can't blame him for getting his career back on track, but if I were him i'd keep my head down and get on with my job, not perform a jovial dance everytime he scores, or jokingly revelling in the abuse he gets while warming up on the bench

flip the community

Oh no you di'int!

Footballers can be a bunch of cheating, lying, smarmy, overpaid boobies regulary indulging in adultery, gambling, drinking and drug taking. One more won't hurt and could seriously help our cause.

The fans you sit next to again can be aggressive, idiotic, violent law breakers.

I'm comfortable with that because if Hughes scored the goal that sealed promotion I would be bouncing all over the Kop in jubilation not caring what he had done and also not being a hypocritical martyr.

The community won't get us promoted but Hughes might be able to.

i personaly wouldnt have a problem if he signed

yes it was horrific what happened but he served the time given to him

at the end of the day if it never happened he would be playing at a higher level than this

he's a proven championship goalscorer

im not sure why everyone is moaning about the 200k for a 34yr old, its hardly a huge sum is it

if he scores the goals to get us promotion then its one of the buys of the season

too old too much baggage and a good way to de-stableise a dressing room.no thanks this time milan im sure for 250k there is better than him about.

They'll be stuff going on in The Dressing Room (the real dressing room) that we don't and will never know about

There was chaos in the 93' dressing room for professional and personal reasons which is why professional footballers can rise above it.

In this division, had we not had Mellor and Morrison, I'd have taken him. However I think we need to think better than him, or at least bring in someone who offers something different. Hopefully its just paper talk and we can bring in someone with maybe a bit of pace as thats something lacking in the other 4 strikers