Conor Hourihane

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Guess the scrotes are not for selling to us anymore though.

That's fine, fast forward a week,

"Hi Carlos, it's Paul from Barnsley here."

"Hello Paul, what can I do for you"?

"Villa have nicked half our players, could you loan me a few of your cast offs please"?

" No, F*** off".

Payback is a *****. 

Don't know how true this is but on DingleTalk one of their fans reckons he's been talking to someone from Villa who's a bit like our Saxondale (finds out about the medicals). Bree & Hourihane were booked for medicals with Villa but both have been cancelled.

Managed to find the post from twitter. At first looks it seems like one of the resident twitter idiots who randomly post transfer bobbar. But he doesn't actually seem to get grief from fans & has a decent following so maybe he is accurate. 

Anyway, Dingles are now pissed at their club if it is true because the fee is lower than we offered. 

IMG_4907.PNG

It's probably not the right time given the current situation behind the scenes at Barnsley but I'm of the view that we should be trying to establish some closer links with them, nobody should be leaving Barnsley FC without us having first option regardless of what their fans may think about it.

There was a time when however much they may have disliked us, their fans would have still grudgingly admitted that we are by far the larger and more successful of the two clubs, recent history up to 2015 has no doubt lead them to the delusional belief that they are now somehow our equals or at the very worst not too far removed from us, obviously the truth is they are now a million miles behind us in every respect apart from scouting and the breeding of ferrets.....both of which they excel at.

The order of things needs to be re-established, they need to be educated that Championship survival is "success" and they also need to accept that any great players they acquire will be moving to SWFC at the time of our choosing. 

Obviously we'd have to give something back, after all it's only fair and relationships have to work both ways if they are to succeed in the long term, they'd be a great place to send our academy prospects, surely if part of the Winnall deal was the loan of George Hirst next season it would have taken a lot of the sting out of the tail, just for example!! 

Or, is fan power and local rivalry just too overwhelming for this to particular one to become reality? Obviously I’ve been a bit tongue in cheek in my comments above.

There are many lower league clubs with great track records in scouting, I'd like to think we're working to establish relationships with some of them at least. Thoughts?

Edited by Morepork

I did predict this as soon as the interest was announced. Then I was convinced he would sign. I'm not sure what to believe anymore, all I know is Dingles rejected a bid from us and I can only think it was out of spite. "We won't sell to rival clubs" is a gash excuse; Barnsley are about as much of a rival as Udders. Yes, it's Yorkshire. No, we don't really care, beyond the league position. If he doesn't sign for personal reasons that's fine. But if it's the Dingles who've blocked a move then it's petty on their part. Still, we move on. Squad is still very good regardless.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, and apologies if it has, but Paul Mitchell was saying on Sheffield Live last night that his contacts in the game tell him that Hourihane's Villa-bound. When Biggsy pressed him on the likelihood of it happening, Mitchell said that in his estimation there was an 85% chance of his going to Villa if he leaves the Tykes.

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Leon Britton (Swansea)

James Morrison (WBA)

Ben Watson (Watford)

David Meyler (Hull)

Grant Leadbitter (Boro)

Really isn't much available from the Premier League. 

Several premier league clubs, could easily be having a look at Hourihane

I was trying to think of an alternative to CH as well should we not get him.............................Marc Pugh from Bournemouth maybe ?...........has primarily played out wide , but a technically good player who works hard and could easily play in a midfield three.

Can't really blame Barnsley if they have decided against selling any more players to us, especially after the backlash from Winall.

Imagine if we sold our best players (like FF and Hutch) to L**ds and ruined our chances of the play offs. I doubt our supporters would be very accepting.

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i think most players would choose villa over us so no real surprise ....

Who can understand what goes through the minds of some of these players, fresh air a lot of the time. I agree that Villa are a bigger club than us with a solid manager, but they are also still in a state of flux with an owner that is more than a little erratic. The other thing with Villa and this would apply to JR as well as CH is that if they get promoted both of them will instantly be surplus to requirements and on the move again, where as with us they'd still be in the reckoning should we make the big time.

Footballers will do what they do best, follow the money.

Edited by Morepork