La Liga Sellout

34 minutes ago, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

I hope the FA Premiership has not seen this 

Can see by 2050 some of the premiership games could be headed towards USA or Far East

I think the game will be unrecognisable by 2050 nevermind the odd game abroad.

La Liga has already sold out by expanding the Supercup (their version of the Community Shield) to 4 teams and holding it in Saudi Arabia. 

Hmm, wonder which games will be played in the USA, somehow I doubt it'll be Cadiz v Mallorca.

• Like 5

The most attractive games will be sold to the highest bidder and played wherever they want. It's all about money now and nothing else.

• Like 1

I’ve nothing against a ‘39th’ game which has been mentioned in the past 

Easy, just add an extra round of fixtures to mean there’s one more game and fans in this country aren’t losing a game

There’s so much money in this that it will eventually happen, if an actual Liverpool Man U PL game was played in New York, it would be like the Super Bowl with people paying $1000s to go, and that’s what it’s all about now, eventually everything always follows the money. 

Edited by Londoner1867

It's a lucrative market the USA.

However moving games from another country distracts, for me personally, from the local competitions.

Like anything else though, football will just follow the money.

Tbh this had been the direction of travel for the top clubs for years

I said for years now that it won't be long till we see Man U play Barca in a league game in Kuala Lumpur for eg. 

This is just another step up that ladder

• Like 2

Let them have it, the same with the Premier League.

As long as the regulator ensures that the money is distributed fairly down the pyramid for all the Non-League clubs then I’m all for it.

Its no surprise that in your area clubs like Hallam have become more popular, and in my part of the country attendances at places such as Ilkeston and Hucknall are holding up really well. 

I’ve seen some great pictures from last night when Grantham fans traveled to play Sheffield FC and saw their team win.

Let the rest of us get on with real football, without VAR, without players bleating and whingeing every five minutes.

I’ve seen plenty of good games in the Non-League. The quality is far better these days, the vast majority of playing surfaces are also hugely improved and most importantly (for me anyway) is the fact that it’s real people giving up their time to run these clubs.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Londoner1867 said:

I’ve nothing against a ‘39th’ game which has been mentioned in the past 

Easy, just add an extra round of fixtures to mean there’s one more game and fans in this country aren’t losing a game

There’s so much money in this that it will eventually happen, if an actual Liverpool Man U PL game was played in New York, it would be like the Super Bowl with people paying $1000s to go, and that’s what it’s all about now, eventually everything always follows the money. 

But if a 39th game was a competitive round of the league it definitively imbalances the whole thing. Teams will play one fixture 3 times rather than 2. 

The 39th game is really dodgy. Imagine this happened in the Championship this year, I'd guess the game would be 24th Vs 23rd etc..

Now imagine Huddersfield play Rotherham and beat them, Sheff Weds & Birmingham draw and both get relegated...

It would need to be as done with US football and take the place of a home game...

4 hours ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

The 39th game is really dodgy. Imagine this happened in the Championship this year, I'd guess the game would be 24th Vs 23rd etc..

Now imagine Huddersfield play Rotherham and beat them, Sheff Weds & Birmingham draw and both get relegated...

It would need to be as done with US football and take the place of a home game...

Or you do it very early on in the season, like NFL tend to do so you can’t put as much emphasis on it as a late season game 

But yeah it would be a real league game and have real impacts. I’d like to think they could do it without meaning loyal fans miss out on a game but you might be right 

Edited by Londoner1867

It's sh*t, but it's inevitable. 

Just turn top flight football into an NFL style competition where the European elite play each other in a round robin  and there is little to no consequence for being crap outside of finishing bottom. 

No relegation, no promotion. 

Have a play off at the end to determine the champion of Europe. 

It's all about generating huge amounts of money. The competition element is almost a façade. 

Simple fix...

Any income generated from games abroad is shared between all clubs in the league equally. 

Non of this "Barca V Real" at the Houston MegaDome generating 40mill for each club. 

Everyone gets a dip in the pot