Windass and Johnson

Johnson - no

Windass - yes

Last few games at least, Johnson has looked like the weak point, especially away from home. 

Windass has been thrown in after injury and we still look a better side with him in it than without when poveda is out. If ugbo finishes the chance in the first 10 minutes then it's a different game and a different opinion of josh. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

I think Johnson will come good.

Windass in the past 2 games has been poor and doesn't warrant a start. However, hardly have depth of players waiting to replace him!

Come good? Yeah, he has got loads of time for that.

4 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Do you imagine they’d be more bothered after sitting on the bench in the cold for 60 mins? 

Are you suggesting they should start as it means they’ll be marginally less mardy? Have you taken leave of your senses? 

They deserve to be on the bench.  If they wanted to start on Sunday, they should’ve tried their hearts out last weekend.  They didn’t. Far from it in fact.  You reap what you sow. 

• Like 1

I'd play Johnson

Windass is the type that doesn't get involved much, so not sure whether he's better starting or coming on as sub.  (Or Neither).  I'd probably start him and see if he does anything 

8 hours ago, heppers said:

Come good? Yeah, he has got loads of time for that.

Johnson has been one of our better performers. He’s was off past game but I expect he will be better on Sunday. 

7 hours ago, Snelldog said:

Are you suggesting they should start as it means they’ll be marginally less mardy? Have you taken leave of your senses? 

They deserve to be on the bench.  If they wanted to start on Sunday, they should’ve tried their hearts out last weekend.  They didn’t. Far from it in fact.  You reap what you sow. 

Where am I suggesting they start? I’m responding to a post suggesting they should be on the bench because of their attitude and questioning if being on the bench will improve their attitude. 

To the fans suggesting we played better when Windass was on the pitch, I’d point out that since his return we’ve scored five goals. Four were scored after he’s been subbed.

That’s a very small sample. Over a season I’d expect Windass to be a positive impact on our results, but we don’t have all season, we have 3 vital games left. The team has been more effective without him, so I’d leave him out of the starting line-up, or start him but sub him at HT if he’s ineffective in the first half on Sunday. I’d start Gassama/Pato and Ugbo in the two wide roles.*

I’d start Johnson. Unlike with the two wide attacking roles, we don’t have a good alternative to Johnson at LWB. Therefore he has to play.

*that said, I wouldn’t play 3421 or whatever it is. I don’t think our wide forwards offer enough to outweigh the risk of being overrun in midfield and playing Ugbo out of position. Id go 352 so Smith and Ugbo can play together up top, and get that third body in midfield.

Windass didn't look ready to start games since coming back from injury, but today was easy to see why He still gets picked.

Not only that He has that extra bit of quality to get goals out of very little, but He has character as well and won't faze when there is pressure to get result.

Thought that both him and Johnson did great today. Plamer and Bannan as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, malek said:

Windass didn't look ready to start games since coming back from injury, but today was easy to see why He still gets picked.

Not only that He has that extra bit of quality to get goals out of very little, but He has character as well and won't faze when there is pressure to get result.

Thought that both him and Johnson did great today. Plamer and Bannan as well.

Vaulks and Iorfa steady too. Less erratic than Bambo 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 19:00, Jim said:

They will be involved in the last few games because of the general lack of options we currently have. They’ve produced in the past, they can again.

Spot on there, both produced massively today

• Like 1
  • Love 1