1 minute ago, Pete Zarhutt said:

He froze out Hutch (odd) & Westwood (possibly the right decicsion), but still got us to 5th in the league just before Xmas 2019....then the players didn't get paid, there was the Boxing Day disaster at Stoke and...........you know the rest.

I don't think Monk was anywhere near as bad as he was made out to be. And I do wonder if DC brought him in with one eye on an upcoming points deduction, given he kept Birmingham up after they had 9 points takjen off. Pulis was not an upgrade & hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I do think if we'd stuck with Monk, we'd have stayed up.

Fair play & good luck to him at The Abbey.

I think we got to as high as 3rd with him.

I thought he was a poor manager for us personally, the freezing out of Hutchinson was scandalous in my opinion and Westwood was still far better than Dawson and Wildsmith at that time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A decent manager who worked under some very difficult conditions here.

He'll probably do a decent job as long as he's given a stable context in which to operate. 

He destroyed the playing side of the club. Circumstances were difficult as the Chansiri rot had started to set in but he isolated our better players and took a sledgehammer to a squad that was capable, replacing them with poo (some of which we still have) that had to be re destroyed once we got to league one as they weren’t good enough.

Up until Xisco he’s been the worst manager we have had since Eustace. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Anyone who was at the Christmas party knows why 

I’d love to know what went off. You don’t go from 3rd to nearly going down in the space of a few games 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Django said:

I’d love to know what went off. You don’t go from 3rd to nearly going down in the space of a few games 

And you don't suddenly remember the fictional Christmas party in injury time at Stoke and down tools when you've already battled your way to a 2-1 lead...

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Pete Zarhutt said:

He froze out Hutch (odd) & Westwood (possibly the right decicsion), but still got us to 5th in the league just before Xmas 2019....then the players didn't get paid, there was the Boxing Day disaster at Stoke and...........you know the rest.

I don't think Monk was anywhere near as bad as he was made out to be. And I do wonder if DC brought him in with one eye on an upcoming points deduction, given he kept Birmingham up after they had 9 points takjen off. Pulis was not an upgrade & hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I do think if we'd stuck with Monk, we'd have stayed up.

Fair play & good luck to him at The Abbey.

It was during Covid when the players didn’t get paid and he got us up to 3rd.