2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

And you don't suddenly remember the fictional Christmas party in injury time at Stoke and down tools when you've already battled your way to a 2-1 lead...

I was absolutely fuming that night, haven’t been as p*ssed about a football match since Derby away in 2000

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk was under the worst possible conditions at SWFC 

Chansiri totally screwed him

He never stood a chance 

Röhl would have failed too at that time 

This 100% 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He destroyed the playing side of the club. Circumstances were difficult as the Chansiri rot had started to set in but he isolated our better players and took a sledgehammer to a squad that was capable, replacing them with poo (some of which we still have) that had to be re destroyed once we got to league one as they weren’t good enough.

Up until Xisco he’s been the worst manager we have had since Eustace. 

As I say, the context in which he was working was a nightmare.

Players were going unpaid, there was division within the camp, and he didn't have his coaching team in place during his first season here.

He had to choose from a pool of players determined by the position Chansiri put us in, which was only ever going to be lower-end Championship players who would come cheap.

I don't think Monk got everything right here - far from it - but he was operating within a basket-case of a club which was lurching from crisis to crisis with seemingly no long-term planning in place.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

It was during Covid when the players didn’t get paid and he got us up to 3rd.

We were briefly 3rd at the Christmas before Covid - which actually saved his job, the away fans really turned on him in the 5-0 loss at Brentford, he wouldn't have lasted much longer, but then came lockdown and months without football, then when we were still garbage after it restarted there were no fans so no pressure on him from the stands.  Won 7 of his last 34 league games and the football was dreadful, he had to go. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Pete Zarhutt said:

He froze out Hutch (odd) & Westwood (possibly the right decicsion), but still got us to 5th in the league just before Xmas 2019....then the players didn't get paid, there was the Boxing Day disaster at Stoke and...........you know the rest.

I don't think Monk was anywhere near as bad as he was made out to be. And I do wonder if DC brought him in with one eye on an upcoming points deduction, given he kept Birmingham up after they had 9 points takjen off. Pulis was not an upgrade & hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I do think if we'd stuck with Monk, we'd have stayed up.

Fair play & good luck to him at The Abbey.

I think Hutchinson said Monk would only play those who trained every day and there was no big fallout.

And let's face it, our fanbase was weirdly obsessed with Hutchinson and Westwood, if you look at their carers and what they have done since.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

We were briefly 3rd at the Christmas before Covid - which actually saved his job, the away fans really turned on him in the 5-0 loss at Brentford, he wouldn't have lasted much longer, but then came lockdown and months without football, then when we were still garbage after it restarted there were no fans so no pressure on him from the stands.  Won 7 of his last 34 league games and the football was dreadful, he had to go. 

It was the off the pitch stuff that created the carnage NOT the manager

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

Can do better than them surely 

People said the same about Moore and Port Vale, but the fact is there’s hundreds of managers and only 72 EFL clubs,  though less than that will be looking for a new manager every year. 

As I said with Moore it’s sometimes best to get back on the saddle quickly than become a forgotten and overlooked man. 

It will be interesting to see how Monk gets on there 

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It was the off the pitch stuff that created the carnage NOT the manager

So Pulis wasn't bad either then because he had the same off pitch stuff to deal with?