FGR, a progressive club

Don’t get what all the fuss is about, if she’s the best person for the job then so be it. I thought the progressive movement was all about diversity not particular demographics, identities and genders. I think we should move beyond all this and focus on merit. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Hope she makes loads of misogynists eat their words.

A lot of male managers are disliked by our fan base, based on opinion of management ability (not based on gender). Let’s hope there is room for this with the NEW caretaker FGR manager, without discrimination. 

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think he’s referring to another female manager (maybe Emma Hayes?) who turned down a lower league (mens) managerial job and considered it an insult to have been offered it.

Ah right.

Totally different person. 🙂

38 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think he’s referring to another female manager (maybe Emma Hayes?) who turned down a lower league (mens) managerial job and considered it an insult to have been offered it.

They've replayed the Emma Hayes interview on Sky this morning. 

In fairness, the question was pitched to her in such a way that it was insulting to the women's game, and she replied in kind.

If a male manager had her forthrightness and strength of opinion, he would be celebrated as a character, no-nonsense and a 'winner'.

Hayes is just seen as arrogant, difficult and gobby. 

She could have been more diplomatic about the AFC Wimbledon link, but why should she?. 

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I hope this works but I can’t help but feel this is a massive publicity stunt…if she’s the best person for the job, why not appoint her as full time manager/head coach?? Why is it a “caretaker role”? 

This is probably the best way to do it.

She gets to dip her toe into the men's first team, then steps back into an assistant role if it's not ideal, especially as this is her first go at being the main woman.

Promote any academy manager with no first team experience and there will be calls for replacement as soon as results don't go your way.

There's a lot riding on this for her and they should take it slowly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I hope this works but I can’t help but feel this is a massive publicity stunt…if she’s the best person for the job, why not appoint her as full time manager/head coach?? Why is it a “caretaker role”? 

FGR in "we're so right on" publicity stunt shocker. Oooh look at us, we're vegan, ooh we advertise "Just Stop Oil" on our billboards, oooh we fly the Palestinian flag at our ground. 

Nothing against a female manager if they're genuinely the best option, but not surprised that it's FGR who've done it first - and have somehow deduced in a few hours after Ferguson left that this lady is the best candidate for the job. It'll be interesting to see if this is indeed a caretaker role (has Ferguson's backroom team also left with him? In these cases its not unusual for an academy coach to step in for the interim) and they do advertise it and appoint a man, or if she does actually get the job and gets to manage a competitive first team game at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

FGR in "we're so right on" publicity stunt shocker. Oooh look at us, we're vegan, ooh we advertise "Just Stop Oil" on our billboards, oooh we fly the Palestinian flag at our ground. 

Nothing against a female manager if they're genuinely the best option, but not surprised that it's FGR who've done it first - and have somehow deduced in a few hours after Ferguson left that this lady is the best candidate for the job. It'll be interesting to see if this is indeed a caretaker role (has Ferguson's backroom team also left with him? In these cases its not unusual for an academy coach to step in for the interim) and they do advertise it and appoint a man, or if she does actually get the job and gets to manage a competitive first team game at all. 

I don't get why it would be a caretaker appointment in preseason...she's either the manager or she isn't. This could backfire if it isn't dealt with properly...however if she is the best candidate available to them, then good luck but i simply don't believe she is based purely on first team experience within the men's professional game.

As I have always said, the media peddle agenda's and the vast majority of society are left without an opinion because you will be racist, sexist or some other ist/ism!!

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

If it doesn't work out Publicity Vince might find himself in an awkward situation. Predict they will go same way as Rushden & Diamond's. 

I've got nothing against the prospect of women head coaches but it is of no surprise which club has stepped forward and half-heartedly done this (caretaker?)

I'm not sold that she was the most suitable candidate out of 60 applicants, that is a downright lie if knowledge and experience means anything. This shouts out PR move from a chairman known for manipulating PR.

It seems people fall over themselves to fawn over the 'progessive' decision to hire a woman but I would have liked to have seen Owlstalk if DC had hired a woman.

Women in football is all well and good when its another team but people would take stock when its their own club that becomes the victim of a social experiment.

Good luck to her and I already pity her for the vile abuse she'll no doubt receive on Twitter.

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

They've replayed the Emma Hayes interview on Sky this morning. 

In fairness, the question was pitched to her in such a way that it was insulting to the women's game, and she replied in kind.

If a male manager had her forthrightness and strength of opinion, he would be celebrated as a character, no-nonsense and a 'winner'.

Hayes is just seen as arrogant, difficult and gobby. 

She could have been more diplomatic about the AFC Wimbledon link, but why should she?. 

Why should she disrespect a club who had shown her respect above what any men's club have shown to women?

It was crass, uncalled for and she deserves digging out for it

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Happens often. People get put in charge on a caretaker basis, and sometimes end up with the permanent job. sometimes not