FGR, a progressive club

9 minutes ago, scram said:

Why should she disrespect a club who had shown her respect above what any men's club have shown to women?

It was crass, uncalled for and she deserves digging out for it

Also crass that they are replaying her comment because FGR have appointed a new manager. It wasn't the FGR manager that came out with the comments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I don't get why it would be a caretaker appointment in preseason...she's either the manager or she isn't. This could backfire if it isn't dealt with properly...however if she is the best candidate available to them, then good luck but i simply don't believe she is based purely on first team experience within the men's professional game.

As I have always said, the media peddle agenda's and the vast majority of society are left without an opinion because you will be racist, sexist or some other ist/ism!!

Ferguson has left and the academy manager has been put in caretaker charge. I don't think that it's an unusual move. I don't really get what else needs to be dealt with. 

• Like 2

Good luck to her. Being a cynic like many above I wonder if its a PR stunt (Purely based on FGR owner). 

I wouldn't give a s**t if we had a female manager as long as she was decent. 

Slightly different but we had a guest coach at our judo club a few years back who was female. Best session we ever had she gave great insight into how to improve technique. Also great watching her throw a few of the arrogant ones about. 

53 minutes ago, markg said:

Happens often. People get put in charge on a caretaker basis, and sometimes end up with the permanent job. sometimes not

This is preseason not within a live season, so it is different to a normal situation...but no different to our last couple of weeks. Which supports the point I am trying to make...I think this is the "quirky" FGR owner dipping his toe into another revolutionary idea and it could backfire if he isn't careful. Listening to the media and people in and around FGR, this appointment is taking them into the start of the season and through the opening games. It isn't a "caretaker role" its an experiment and I think the FGR owner thrives on "been the first" to do something.

If Chansiri had appointed Steve Haslam as our manager, how would our fan base reacted? He's a male coach with very similar first team management experience to the lady at FGR (minimal)...i am confident it would have been a shitstorm. The fact she is the first woman occupying a managers role in the men's professional game, puts a hell of a lot of scrutiny and pressure on the situation IMO. It could potentially harm opportunities for women looking to cross over into the men's game.

I wish her all the best but I fear this could potentially hinder future progress the women's game, which the UK is hell bent on integrating into the men's game one way or the other. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

They've replayed the Emma Hayes interview on Sky this morning. 

In fairness, the question was pitched to her in such a way that it was insulting to the women's game, and she replied in kind.

If a male manager had her forthrightness and strength of opinion, he would be celebrated as a character, no-nonsense and a 'winner'.

Hayes is just seen as arrogant, difficult and gobby. 

She could have been more diplomatic about the AFC Wimbledon link, but why should she?. 

Because the level of football she's been managing is a lower level than that l where Wimbledon play and it should be seen as a respectful approach to advance her career and make a seismic advance in women's roles in sports? 

• Like 1

Good luck to her, I'm sure lots of women in football would be capable of managing the men's game. I think somebody like us could gamble and get a top women's manager in and probably get a person of a higher calibre than what we would normally get. Wouldn't want that Emma Hayes thought, I think it was disgraceful how she referred to that Wimbledon interest. 

10 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

I've got nothing against the prospect of women head coaches but it is of no surprise which club has stepped forward and half-heartedly done this (caretaker?)

I'm not sold that she was the most suitable candidate out of 60 applicants, that is a downright lie if knowledge and experience means anything. This shouts out PR move from a chairman known for manipulating PR.

It seems people fall over themselves to fawn over the 'progessive' decision to hire a woman but I would have liked to have seen Owlstalk if DC had hired a woman.

Women in football is all well and good when its another team but people would take stock when its their own club that becomes the victim of a social experiment.

Good luck to her and I already pity her for the vile abuse she'll no doubt receive on Twitter.

What about the misogyny and sneering from folk like you.

We knew it was coming.

It is just as bad and you know it.

Thankfully the world has moved on from people like you'.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Emma Hayes name keeps cropping up. 

I did that think she came across as very arrogant when she sort of belittled AFC Wimbledon. It did smack a bit of, I manage Chelsea FC's women's team, so why would I want to manage a small team in League One/Two?!

In any event, we will see how Hannah Dingley fairs, though I understand she is caretaker atm? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

I've got nothing against the prospect of women head coaches but it is of no surprise which club has stepped forward and half-heartedly done this (caretaker?)

I'm not sold that she was the most suitable candidate out of 60 applicants, that is a downright lie if knowledge and experience means anything. This shouts out PR move from a chairman known for manipulating PR.

It seems people fall over themselves to fawn over the 'progessive' decision to hire a woman but I would have liked to have seen Owlstalk if DC had hired a woman.

Women in football is all well and good when its another team but people would take stock when its their own club that becomes the victim of a social experiment.

Good luck to her and I already pity her for the vile abuse she'll no doubt receive on Twitter.

From the man who called the WSL a 'folly'.

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I did that think she came across as very arrogant when she sort of belittled AFC Wimbledon. It did smack a bit of, I manage Chelsea FC's women's team, so why would I want to manage a small team in League One/Two?!

In any event, we will see how Hannah Dingley fairs, though I understand she is caretaker atm? 

All she had to do was say she's happy where she is. Wimbledon is a much more scrutinising job than Chelsea, they have more fans, they play at a more competitive level, she obviously was bottling it but wanted to save face by acting as though it's an insult. 

6 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

From the man who called the WSL a 'folly'.

I think he's just referring to it not having many fans and not many people being interested in it but looks good from a marketing perspective for clubs on their social media

45 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It sounds like it a secondment in a way with potential of it being permanent. She’s getting a chance but if it doesn’t work out than she’ll go straight back into role at the academy.