FGR, a progressive club

3 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

i've worked with emma hayes, she is amazing.   and the guys around her take her absolutely seriously, she deserves a good club in men's football should she want to cross over.

Wimbledon showed respect by contemplating hiring her. It’s never been done and a massive step for a club to appoint a women’s manager. Even a female caretaker at league 2 level, tiny club, is big news 

let's address some things.

wimbledon weren't thinking of offering hayes a job out of the goodness of their heart, they were trying to get a successful manager on the cheap.

apparently, chelsea mens were thinking of her but went for lampard instead...

a league one side is a step down from managing a wsl and womens champions league finalist.

while the quality of football may not be comparable between the wsl and pro mens leagues, this discussion isn't about the players it is about coaching.   as far as i understand, physical attributes aren't necessarily too important in deciding the quality of a coach/manager.

saying she should've been flattered to be considered for a position she is over qualified for, imagine if that was in banking, the civil service etc?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

wimbledon weren't thinking of offering hayes a job out of the goodness of their heart, they were trying to get a successful manager on the cheap.

apparently, chelsea mens were thinking of her but went for lampard instead...

a league one side is a step down from managing a wsl and womens champions league finalist.

while the quality of football may not be comparable between the wsl and pro mens leagues, this discussion isn't about the players it is about coaching.   as far as i understand, physical attributes aren't necessarily too important in deciding the quality of a coach/manager.

saying she should've been flattered to be considered for a position she is over qualified for, imagine if that was in banking, the civil service etc?

The women's game is different to the men's game. There is no guarantee that she would be a success as she has no experience of managing men's football. You are making a bold assumption that the only difference is that men are quicker and stronger and simply her coaching skills will translate over. She's never coached anybody of the calibre of men's football.

this is bonkers same as if a man managed a womans team . just purely in the dressing room area i dont think it would be appropriate . i also think for respect issues etc you would prefer someone who has played then managed at the level your playing at . the same goes when you have a pundit on sky i want some ex manager current manager or ex player at that level if its a premier league game  or if its a championship game someone who has played/managed at that level same league 1/2 . when you have karen carney 4ft8 stood between two 6ft plus men who been there and done it ,it does seem a bit silly. 

4 minutes ago, morganowl said:

this is bonkers same as if a man managed a womans team . just purely in the dressing room area i dont think it would be appropriate . i also think for respect issues etc you would prefer someone who has played then managed at the level your playing at . the same goes when you have a pundit on sky i want some ex manager current manager or ex player at that level if its a premier league game  or if its a championship game someone who has played/managed at that level same league 1/2 . when you have karen carney 4ft8 stood between two 6ft plus men who been there and done it ,it does seem a bit silly. 

One of the shittest posts I've ever seen on here.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

unlike the premier league who are propped up by sky sports?

Sky Sports haven't been a direct force in football for a long time.

I would say they are now starting to draw away from football as they focus on their drama, comedy and non-fiction broadcasting. TNT and Amazon as well as in-house production at parent clubs are now equally important.

Mens football is in fact propped up by billions and billions of pounds, dollars and euros worth of losses being constantly pumped into clubs. From the Premier League to the lower leagues vast quantities of money is almost ghosted out of football thanks to global benefactors.

The equity backing these losses is football itself. Thats why the bubble won't burst.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

The women's game is different to the men's game. There is no guarantee that she would be a success as she has no experience of managing men's football. You are making a bold assumption that the only difference is that men are quicker and stronger and simply her coaching skills will translate over. She's never coached anybody of the calibre of men's football.

no-one is saying that any woman would be a guarenteed success. 

to use the excuse that a woman has no experience of managing mens football is ludicrous when it seems ok for men to manage womens football.

it would be interesting to see if the uefa pro licences are set up different for men and women, and if they aren't then i see no reason why women couldn't be a success once the everyday sexism and looking down on womens football has been put to one side.

1 hour ago, Big Malc said:

I’m calling bullshiit on this

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12206672/emma-hayes-shuts-down-afc-wimbledon-rumours-and-will-stay-on-as-chelsea-women-boss-in-wsl

"Hayes was linked to the Chelsea men's job in 2019 after Maurizio Sarri left the club, but the Stamford Bridge hierarchy instead opted for club legend Frank Lampard, who was recently replaced himself by Thomas Tuchel."

23 minutes ago, morganowl said:

there is so much wrong with this post that it is hardly worth addressing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

no-one is saying that any woman would be a guarenteed success. 

to use the excuse that a woman has no experience of managing mens football is ludicrous when it seems ok for men to manage womens football.

it would be interesting to see if the uefa pro licences are set up different for men and women, and if they aren't then i see no reason why women couldn't be a success once the everyday sexism and looking down on womens football has been put to one side.

That’s not what we are debating. You are assuming Hayes is well above league one level, she might be, but as she’s managing in the women’s game we don’t know which is why it’s perfectly reasonable for a club like Wimbledon to be interested in her and is not offensive that they did so as she made out

2 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

apparently

They weren't trying to get somebody on the cheap - they were prepared to pay their going rate

Hayes could have declined politely - no need to mock and abuse them

Absolute rubbish

How is she over qualified?

Stop talking nonsense ffs!

46 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That’s not what we are debating. You are assuming Hayes is well above league one level, she might be, but as she’s managing in the women’s game we don’t know which is why it’s perfectly reasonable for a club like Wimbledon to be interested in her and is not offensive that they did so as she made out

i am not assuming that hayes is well above league one level, there is a big assumption on here that womens football at the top level is inconsequential and generally looked down upon.

women commentators are frowned upon talking over mens games because it is deemed because of having different chromosones inhibits your ability to know anything about football.

and it is offensive for hayes to expect to drop down from being a manager who has won the top trophies available to women and reached the final of a european trophy.

i'm not sure she was as offensive to wimbledon as people are trying to make out, she was mainly pointing out that it is unfair that womens football is seen as a step down from mens football.

5 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

i am not assuming that hayes is well above league one level, there is a big assumption on here that womens football at the top level is inconsequential and generally looked down upon.

women commentators are frowned upon talking over mens games because it is deemed because of having different chromosones inhibits your ability to know anything about football.

and it is offensive for hayes to expect to drop down from being a manager who has won the top trophies available to women and reached the final of a european trophy.

i'm not sure she was as offensive to wimbledon as people are trying to make out, she was mainly pointing out that it is unfair that womens football is seen as a step down from mens football.

It is. Football in the men’s game are some of the top athletes in the world because most men try and fail to play football. If you were to look at who the most talented women’s athletes are you would be looking at other sports. Women’s football is not as developed they aren’t the same level relative to their genders

44 minutes ago, scram said:

They weren't trying to get somebody on the cheap - they were prepared to pay their going rate

Hayes could have declined politely - no need to mock and abuse them

Absolute rubbish

How is she over qualified?

Stop talking nonsense ffs!

she didn't mock and abuse wimbledon

managing at the top level in england and a continental competition is bigger than league one and over qualifies her for a struggling third tier side

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It is. Football in the men’s game are some of the top athletes in the world because most men try and fail to play football. If you were to look at who the most talented women’s athletes are you would be looking at other sports. Women’s football is not as developed they aren’t the same level relative to their genders

and have a look at the history of womens football and why it took a long time to RE-develop