FIFA Women’s WC 2023 - Aus and NZ

Found it quite comical when the Australian lady came out and asked for equal pay as the men in football. 

Not in a disrespectful way, because it will eventually happen but right now, the ladies are the pioneers, building the ladies brand of football.

I see it as a generational change, when you get young girls asking their mum and dad to go to the women's football matches, buying their favourite players shirts etc...then it'll start to create the revenue streams that can support high wages for ladies footballers. 

Took the men many years to build revenue streams and attract billionaire owners that can support these silly weekly wages. 

I can see it happening quicker for the ladies in this digital age, but it still takes time. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think this is where they went wrong.

At the Euros they had the chance to market it as a more accessible, family friendly alternative to the men's game, make it an almost different sport and stand on it's own merit.

But they went the other way and compared it to the men's game at every opportunity which will never stand up, and has lost them a lot of credibility and support.

I think absolutely the opposite as far as the family friendly aspect is concerned   in the Euros it was a pleasure to go to a big, well attended game with my daughter,  knowing that drunken/coked up wannabe hoolies weren't going to spoil it . 

The Euros moved the game forward loads,  and I think people are coming to the conclusion that if you stop comparing it to the mens game , then you can crack on with enjoying it . 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I think absolutely the opposite as far as the family friendly aspect is concerned   in the Euros it was a pleasure to go to a big, well attended game with my daughter,  knowing that drunken/coked up wannabe hoolies weren't going to spoil it . 

The Euros moved the game forward loads,  and I think people are coming to the conclusion that if you stop comparing it to the mens game , then you can crack on with enjoying it . 

That's my point, I took my daughters to a couple of games, they loved it.

The fan experience is completely different to men's football and should be pushed as much as possible.

The game is also much slower with much more space and time on the ball so has a different skillset than the men's game.

It has everything it needs to stand and grow on it's own, if the differences are highlighted, seen as a feature and a basis to work from.

The current equal pay and marketing are only hurting it in the long run, as if they go down that route, it will only ever be seen as a bottom version of the men's game and never be taken seriously in it's own right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marconi said:

Shouldn’t let it get to me, but if you’re going to do the Mexican Wave and not watch the match, do it quietly FFS.

I used to go to the rugby final every year, it got too expensive because I needed to buy the premium seats otherwise would be constantly in a Mexican wave. Such irritating, ridiculous things. Sure sign people aren't interested in what they're watching. 

• Like 2

On 23/07/2023 at 23:47, ``` said:

Enjoying the tournament so far.

Always  think that teams that start slow will go on to win it, so hopefully that'll apply to England here.

Doesn't usually with the men's team 😀

5 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

At work BBC is on tv because the people (women) who pick the channel don’t want football on. Wife was also moaning GMB isn’t on at the moment other day.

Seems to be getting more women’s backs up than those that are actually wanting to watch it

No comment 

You can watch all the games here as long as you've got Optus sport. 24 AUD a month. Very few games live on normal tv.

And this is the country hosting the damm thing.

Poor from the Aussies in my opinion that.

In all my years of watching football, I have never, ever heard any commentators, players, managers etc calling lost possession "turnover".

That's rugby talk

I hear Wednesday lost the ball or given away by Iorfa, or Byers wins the challenge etc.

Commentators, management and players here, Wilkinson has the ball, oh its turned over by the Phillippines? Wait, what, is this football or rugby union I'm watching?

It's getting to the point where I wish Clive Tyldsley and Andy Townsend could fly over and do the commentating 

On 23/07/2023 at 00:36, bigash_swfc said:

Found it quite comical when the Australian lady came out and asked for equal pay as the men in football. 

Not in a disrespectful way, because it will eventually happen but right now, the ladies are the pioneers, building the ladies brand of football.

I see it as a generational change, when you get young girls asking their mum and dad to go to the women's football matches, buying their favourite players shirts etc...then it'll start to create the revenue streams that can support high wages for ladies footballers. 

Took the men many years to build revenue streams and attract billionaire owners that can support these silly weekly wages. 

I can see it happening quicker for the ladies in this digital age, but it still takes time. 

They are just desperate to rush straight to the point where the men's game is now, a horrible open sewer of money and corruption and excess, without ever stopping at the stage where football clubs were a valuable community resource and source of local pride and identity.

They are on a hiding to nothing, because half the world, including the places where all the money is coming from and a huge chunk of the potential TV audience, places absolutely zero value in the woman's game and never will.  They would be far better off working on putting down genuine roots and getting people into the stadiums in the places that are receptive to it and not trying to copy the awfulness of the men's game.  Unfortunately greed is not gender specific.

Anyone watching the Canada game?

I was reading an article earlier about a player named "Quinn" who is transgender, non binary. The article mentioned something (Sorry for my ignorance but I can't remember the term) which means she now goes by the name "Quinn" therefore dropping the first name which was previously "Rebecca".

I'm wondering how the commentators are handing this. i.e are they referring to Quinn as a "her" or "she" - Which I would say is accidental rather than on purpose. Must be quite difficult to remember during live commentary. 

Also I noticed that Sky Sports still have the name as "R. Quinn" on their line-up sheet.

21 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I was reading an article earlier about a player named "Quinn" who is transgender, non binary. The article mentioned something (Sorry for my ignorance but I can't remember the term) which means she now goes by the name "Quinn" therefore dropping the first name which was previously "Rebecca".

I'm wondering how the commentators are handing this. i.e are they referring to Quinn as a "her" or "she" - Which I would say is accidental rather than on purpose. Must be quite difficult to remember during live commentary. 

Also I noticed that Sky Sports still have the name as "R. Quinn" on their line-up sheet.

X Quim

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

It's very concerning.  Normally insisting everyone refers to you with a mononym like you are Madonna or Prince is an excellent sign that you are a massive bellend.  

Now how are we supposed to tell?

• Haha 1