FIFA Women’s WC 2023 - Aus and NZ

From what I’ve seen I’m more anti USWMT than anything as they’re so arrogant that it doesn’t feel in spirit of the game.

I would watch England games but suspect the times will be terrible? When England won I was a bit happier than I expected to be.

Personally had a bit of resentment towards women’s football because I think it was unfairly subsidised and promoted compared to traditional women’s team sports like netball and hockey and didn’t think it was fair on them. I’ve since learnt through here that women were blocked from playing football for many years so decided to cut it a bit of slack on that as perhaps hockey and netball wouldn’t have been the sport for girls if that was the case.

I was prepared to be well up for it, loved the Euros and the positivity that surrounded it.

As Sham says upthread, this sport wide ACL injury issue has robbed us and other teams of key players  so that's took a bit of shine off.

BBC & ITV both have signed deals to show the games live , if they are at weird times that could make them more exciting.

Anyway, sent off for the panini sticker book, me and little un will have a go at that at least .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I was prepared to be well up for it, loved the Euros and the positivity that surrounded it.

As Sham says upthread, this sport wide ACL injury issue has robbed us and other teams of key players  so that's took a bit of shine off.

BBC & ITV both have signed deals to show the games live , if they are at weird times that could make them more exciting.

Anyway, sent off for the panini sticker book, me and little un will have a go at that at least .

Think the England games will be fine for you. Most of the kick offs seem to be in the evening in order to as much television viewings overseas as possible. That tends to happen with major sporting events especially ones where Europeans have a big interest.

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Don’t get this - injuries happen in the male game you wouldn’t say it’s taken the shine off?

9 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Don’t get this - injuries happen in the male game you wouldn’t say it’s taken the shine off?

Think there's something about the lack of boots which are shaped to womens feet and the way their bodyweight is balanced, and this leads to more of these injuries?

I could be talking rubbish but I'm sure I heard something about this.

2 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

Think there's something about the lack of boots which are shaped to womens feet and the way their bodyweight is balanced, and this leads to more of these injuries?

I could be talking rubbish but I'm sure I heard something about this.

It’s likely the angle between the womens hip and knee that tends to be greater than mens that means the knee is in a biomechanically weaker position hence the higher rate of acl injuries.

Blaming women’s foot shape doesn’t seem plausible at all

29 minutes ago, scram said:

Foot shape and boots not designed for females are not relevant

Q angle at the knee, earlier growth spurts in adolescence, higher levels of oestrogen, lack of relative strength, menstruation...

Without wishing to derail the thread things like this are literally why we have women’s sports but some people think solely having a similar testosterone level as a woman means they should be able to compete alongside them…

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Without wishing to derail the thread things like this are literally why we have women’s sports but some people think solely having a similar testosterone level as a woman means they should be able to compete alongside them…

It’s my thread and I approve this subject ☺️

• Thanks 1

Banno is gonna be even more fed up now research is revealing that female football players suffer concussion twice as much as equivalent males (age, level of competition etc)

interestingly, or worryingly, the cause of concussion in a significant number of females was not identifiable therefore the conclusion being that a relatively high percentage of concussions were collisions with the ball (intentional and unintentional)

It's known that females receive concussion twice as often as equivalent males through heading the ball where a cause was identified

There are some non-modifiable aspects to the biological factors implicated which again is a concern if females are inherently less able to resist concussion yet they play with the same rules and equipment as males

A couple of thoughts of mine - are we potentially storing up a ticking timebomb with a glut of female dementia/Alzheimer's/CTE waiting down the line?

With this information becoming more readily and consistently available will football authorities take steps to intervene? Maybe rule/equipment changes?

The last thing the authorities want (or can handle) is a health crisis related to playing football that was known about and ignored

It mirrors my own involvement in womens football where concussion was quite prevalent and sometimes no obvious cause 

37 minutes ago, scram said:

Banno is gonna be even more fed up now research is revealing that female football players suffer concussion twice as much as equivalent males (age, level of competition etc)

interestingly, or worryingly, the cause of concussion in a significant number of females was not identifiable therefore the conclusion being that a relatively high percentage of concussions were collisions with the ball (intentional and unintentional)

It's known that females receive concussion twice as often as equivalent males through heading the ball where a cause was identified

There are some non-modifiable aspects to the biological factors implicated which again is a concern if females are inherently less able to resist concussion yet they play with the same rules and equipment as males

A couple of thoughts of mine - are we potentially storing up a ticking timebomb with a glut of female dementia/Alzheimer's/CTE waiting down the line?

With this information becoming more readily and consistently available will football authorities take steps to intervene? Maybe rule/equipment changes?

The last thing the authorities want (or can handle) is a health crisis related to playing football that was known about and ignored

It mirrors my own involvement in womens football where concussion was quite prevalent and sometimes no obvious cause 

Just wondered why you were have a small dig at me, and I have read back and saw that a GENUINE ( honestly!) typo resulted in me addressing you as ' Sham'   😆

Absolutely ironic, as I have the upmost respect for knowledge on sports injuries and physiology in general. 

Anyway, this concussion news is very worrying isn't it?  how can they address that without changing rules/equipment?  is the women's game prepared to make such a dramatic change? 

Other news, sticker book has arrived, not Panini's finest effort but a good keepsake all the same.  

It wasn't a dig - it was a light hearted reference to you being pee'd off at the amount of injuries already sustained

I hadn't noticed you'd called me sham - if the cap fits and all that 🤣

I dunno what the authorities are gonna do but this research/data analysis builds on and confirms earlier studies so the trend is looking pretty damn worrying

The NFL are in for over £1.5bn in lawsuits because of their inaction - and cover up - when CTE was being linked to playing their sport

Football authorities need to take heed to protect themselves and more importantly their participants

I'll be honest if i had a daughter/grandaughter that was wanting to play football - especially at development age i would try to discourage it

Dunno who put Ireland as dark horses but those quoted as being dark horses are usually speculated to be a surprise winner

There's more chance of me winning it than Ireland tbf

No disrespect to them but they are nowhere the level - even with a kind draw

• Like 2