Local Derby or Not?

On 22/08/2022 at 19:30, Birstall Owl said:

This ^^^^^^

A derby to me is 2 teams from the same city, everything else is a rivalry

To me it's more to do with being chief main geographic rivals, rather than being strictly from sharing a city. For example, I'd consider Newcastle-Sunderland or Norwich-Ipswich to be derbies, even though they don't share cities.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

To me it's more to do with being chief main geographic rivals, rather than being strictly from sharing a city. For example, I'd consider Newcastle-Sunderland or Norwich-Ipswich to be derbies, even though they don't share cities.

Preston's derby/rivalry is Blackpool, but they are actually closer to Blackburn Rovers. Do you reckon it goes back to the Tom Finney/Stanley Matthews days?

Guest oneAtkinson
16 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I just think it's ironic that Derby County doesn't gave a derby game.

Brian Clough Derby with Forest 🙂 

6 hours ago, BOOFABI said:

Where did the word even come from? What is the purest use of the word, two clubs representing the same place only?

The word is likely to come from the Earl of Derby, who held horse races between two ends of their estate: St. Helens and Wigan.

With regards to the use of the word "Derby" in its purest sense, it's simply a noun that represents any kind of sporting contest. It doesn't necessarily need to be prefixed with "local" but often is and in reality this is how football fans think of the term when used, i.e. the Sheffield Derby (Sheffield FC vs Hallam) or the Steel City Derby (Owls vs Pigs) both local derby's.

Yet we play Bradford next week and that could well be classed as a Yorkshire derby. Technically correct, but stretching the real meaining somewhat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wing Back said:

Is Wednesday vs Middlesbrough classed as a Yorkshire Derby?

In a similar vein - certain London 'derbies' don't merit the term. 

Brentford v West Ham is less of a derby with way less ill feeling, history and profile than Bristol City v Cardiff, even though the former are from the same city, and the latter aren't even from the same country.

I reckon it's there's more to making a derby than just two teams from the same city.