Local Derby or Not?

6 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

The word is likely to come from the Earl of Derby, who held horse races between two ends of their estate: St. Helens and Wigan.

With regards to the use of the word "Derby" in its purest sense, it's simply a noun that represents any kind of sporting contest. It doesn't necessarily need to be prefixed with "local" but often is and in reality this is how football fans think of the term when used, i.e. the Sheffield Derby (Sheffield FC vs Hallam) or the Steel City Derby (Owls vs Pigs) both local derby's.

Yet we play Bradford next week and that could well be classed as a Yorkshire derby. Technically correct, but stretching the real meaining somewhat.

Brilliant answer, thank you. So is there a "The" derby versus "a" derby? Like Wednesday v Leeds, is it "a" Yorkshire derby or "The" Yorkshire derby given that it's the two most prominent sides representing the area?

21 minutes ago, BOOFABI said:

Brilliant answer, thank you. So is there a "The" derby versus "a" derby? Like Wednesday v Leeds, is it "a" Yorkshire derby or "The" Yorkshire derby given that it's the two most prominent sides representing the area?

You're welcome.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% certain regarding your next question, but I guess it depends on the name of the derby. If The Yorkshire Derby was just between two teams, like The Sheffield Derby, The Steel City Derby, The Manchester Derby etc., then "The" (capitalised) would be used. If say for instance The Yorkshire Derby was us vs Leeds, then that name couldn't be used for say Barnsley vs Huddersfield, whereas "a Yorkshire derby" could.

If it was just known as a local derby, that's exactly what it would say: "a local derby".

I'm not sure if that is right, but if anyone else has any suggestions or knowledge please feel free to add or correct.

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2022 at 22:38, R-Sole14 said:

The term derby gets thrown around too much.

In the A-League they refer to Perth vs Wellington as the Distance Derby. Maybe it was done ironically, but commentators love to refer to a game as a derby.

And they say it wrong.

Pronounced "derrby" over there, iirc.

Re: geographic rivalries, Forest and County don't really consider each other rivals due to historical league gaps, despite sharing the city and grounds being half a mile apart.

County is Mansfield.

Forest is Derby.

1 hour ago, aussieowl87 said:

And they say it wrong.

Re: geographic rivalries, Forest and County don't really consider each other rivals due to historical league gaps, despite sharing the city and grounds being half a mile apart.

County is Mansfield.

Forest is Derby.

Derby is generally pronounced correctly here. But definitely have heard it pronounced in the American way.

The one seemingly no one can pronounce here is debut… fûcking de-boo. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aussieowl87 said:

And they say it wrong.

County is Mansfield.

Forest is Derby.

I'd argue it's a one way rivalry, Notts don't like Forest, but Forest see Notts as a kid brother. Forest are far more concerned with Derby County and that shiz is real, just like us and Utd.

Mansfield vs Chesterfield is the big one, Mansfield wise. Pure hate. From both.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

Derby is generally pronounced correctly here. But definitely have heard it pronounced in the American way.

The one seemingly no one can pronounce here is debut… fûcking de-boo. 

What about Loughborough?

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

4 hours ago, Django said:

As bad as Ipswich- Norwich and Palace- Brighton 

Or in the minds of Leeds fans, Leeds- Man utd

To be fair, the Norwich - Ipswich rivalry is strong. Obvs, not Rangers and Celtic strong, but I’d put in on par with Forest - Derby.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

6 hours ago, BOOFABI said:

As it's relevant to next week: are Barnsley v Wednesday or Rovram v Wednesday derby games? I thought this was fairly obvious but there's been some fierce debate about this on at least two podcasts I'm aware of.

I don't regard them as derbys.

Wednesday only have one and that's United for me.

This probably adds to the annoyance of Barnsley/Rotherham and Doncaster fans.

It's a bit like the Notts County/Forest debate. They just arnt that relevant due to United.

Edited by Maddogbob

5 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

I don't regard them as derbys.

Wednesday only have one and that's United for me.

This probably adds to the annoyance of Barnsley/Rotherham and Doncaster fans.

It's a bit like the Notts County/Forest debate. They just arnt that relevant due to United.

Leeds?