Womens Euros

What I dislike is BBC sport shoving it down my throat

For the amount of fans bothered it should come below league 2 signings etc

I tried to read BBC news last night, and it must have been every section. 

Anyway I watched the eternals last night instead of that, plus side very good film 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

What I dislike is BBC sport shoving it down my throat 

But it's ok for the mens version to have far far far far FAR more coverage all the time?

Whoever would have guessed that the England team getting through to the Euro's final at Wembley should be reported eh?

lol

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

Anyway I watched the eternals last night instead of that, plus side very good film 

There's been some bad takes in this thread but this has to be the worst.

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune of (what felt like 7 hours) watching.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most guys want a son so they can take them to the game or so they can play.

These euros will get girls actually believing they’re allowed to play and more importantly confident enough to want to. I have a sister who played when we were in school but as we got older most girls stopped as it never got the same attention. I still think the nets should be slightly smaller to make up for the natural height difference, but what a summer for the girls. Is it 1 conceded? Batter 2nd in the world. Play with attacking flair and bravery, take note Gareth!

I cheer England on in every format. No need for negative comments. 28k at Bramall lane, a record for womens here I believe, shows people will watch al things England.

Well done Lionesses!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

We all love football. 

Gender is irrelevant.

Its all about the beautiful game.

Exactly this!

I enjoy football in all its forms. I watch people having a kick about in the park. I've been to matches from non-league to internationals. I've watched women's football for years and the standard is improving all the time. There is no need to bash it at all.

The matches in this tournament have been great to watch and England play some brilliant football. Looking forward to the final - it would be great for England to FINALLY win a tournament!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Went tonight. 

Great game, great atmosphere. 

Fantastic result.

Going to Wembley 

Come on England!

All of this.

I went myself and had a great night out. It was a lot of fun and it beat sitting at home slagging it off.

If I could I would head to the final but will be watching it.

Enjoy it folks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It was a shame it wasn’t a sell out like they said it was going to be. That was the first game I’d seen of the Womens Euros, I only watched 40 minutes ish in-between cooking but I enjoyed what I saw. End to end football, some good strikes, lassies giving their all, it was a decent watch.

I would never ‘support’ England in anything sport-wise but they are infinitely more likeable than your mens team. It won’t happen but I’d feel sick for months if Waistcoat won England anything. However I’d be happy if your lassies won this.

lol I just hope if you do then your media don’t bang on about it like you do with 66. Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, darklord said:

I've long been an advocate of women's football having watched it for over a decade. 
And these days as a manager in the girls game.

It annoys me no end to constantly read comments (always from men) putting down the women's game.  Not as good as the men, should be in the kitchen. 

Yes the women's game isn't as proficient as the men's but it's a different game.  It's also an emerging sport that was banned for 50 years then never taken seriously. But time are changing. 
  I hope now it will begin to be taken seriously.  Its not competing with the mens game,  it can sit alongside it like men and women's tennis does. Navratalovas skill is no less than Nadals.

Sport is fundamentally about joy. At its core its something people do for fun and the female game beats the mens hands down on that score. 
Whether its watching a 13 year old girl excited because she just scored or the fervour ftom Ellen White when the full time whistle went. 
Its all joy and that should be celebrated and embraced.

Im proud to support the women's game and I'm proud to be involved in it in a small way and to try and inspire more into the game. 
Let's give our female players the respect they deserve.

Well done Lionesses.

Fantastic and considered post.....100% this 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I was just about to write a post praising the often maligned BBC when I read this.

The BBC are the biggest factor in promoting women’s football (after the success of the England team). If this competition had been on Sky or hidden away on BBC 4 it wouldn’t be the success that it is. Ticket pricing has helped too. It wouldn’t have grabbed the attention of fans, families, girls, and yes, some men, like it has.

The BBC has a licence obligation to represent all sectors of society. In sport, this brings them to televising, and promoting, less well followed sports. Remember, MOTD started on BBC2. Snooker was nothing until BBC ran Pot Black. They gave darts an audience before Sky grabbed it. And now it’s Women’s football’s turn. They’ve been showing the Women’s Premier League and now this competition. I think the Beeb should be lauded for their commitment and their coverage.

And if you’re still sick off the excess coverage, just think of the alternative: more Truss and Sunak arguing to see who’s most like the bloke they happily kicked out a fortnight ago.

BBC sports posts things that have most interested people, premier League news comes above Wednesday, Wednesday comes above say Bristol Rovers. It's done for clicks etc. I can't see how England ladies etc has more clicks in the group stages than say Erikson (who is now loved because if what happened in the euros) joining one if the biggest teams in the world which was four posts down on their headlines.

It just seems like they have an agenda, and that agenda is women's football. I'm all for women playing football, but it should be done in interest. If Wednesday had a ladies team then maybe it peak my interest 

Equally comparing that leading scorer, comparing her to Rooney etc, is just ridiculous. Of they win it, will they say first win since 66.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But it's ok for the mens version to have far far far far FAR more coverage all the time?

Whoever would have guessed that the England team getting through to the Euro's final at Wembley should be reported eh?

lol

For me as above, I've known you years and you know I'm not some wind up merchant but percentage wise compared to other football posts it's so minimal

13 minutes ago, musingowl said:

There's been some bad takes in this thread but this has to be the worst.

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever had the misfortune of (what felt like 7 hours) watching.

Strangely I've just seen the review on rotten tomatoes, and was stunned how low it got. I watched black widow before it and I thought that was completely shocking film and ott even by marvel standards

• Like 1

No time wasting, play acting .. I think Joe Crann said it on twitter ... the ball was never really out of play and there was no long stoppages for feigning injury, time wasting, etc. The men's game could really learn alot from this 😉

... and wow  🤩 when did you last see a back heel goal like that ! ok they all slated the keeper saying she should have saved it - but to be fair how many would have expected that and saved it ?

Great advert for the game - lets hope they go all the way .. give the country a great boost and hopefully give the Men's team something to aim for in December !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

BBC sports posts things that have most interested people, premier League news comes above Wednesday, Wednesday comes above say Bristol Rovers. It's done for clicks etc. I can't see how England ladies etc has more clicks in the group stages than say Erikson (who is now loved because if what happened in the euros) joining one if the biggest teams in the world which was four posts down on their headlines.

It just seems like they have an agenda, and that agenda is women's football. I'm all for women playing football, but it should be done in interest. If Wednesday had a ladies team then maybe it peak my interest 

Equally comparing that leading scorer, comparing her to Rooney etc, is just ridiculous. Of they win it, will they say first win since 66.

For me as above, I've known you years and you know I'm not some wind up merchant but percentage wise compared to other football posts it's so minimal

Strangely I've just seen the review on rotten tomatoes, and was stunned how low it got. I watched black widow before it and I thought that was completely shocking film and ott even by marvel standards

Biggest sporting news story yesterday (by MILES) and you're ranting about it being an 'agenda' to report it and wanting the press instead to be reporting that Wednesday's new shirt comes out on Wednesday morning etc

Christ almighty

It's like a conversation in the Wheeltappers and Shunters club this

lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, darklord said:

I've long been an advocate of women's football having watched it for over a decade. 
And these days as a manager in the girls game.

It annoys me no end to constantly read comments (always from men) putting down the women's game.  Not as good as the men, should be in the kitchen. 

Yes the women's game isn't as proficient as the men's but it's a different game.  It's also an emerging sport that was banned for 50 years then never taken seriously. But time are changing. 
  I hope now it will begin to be taken seriously.  Its not competing with the mens game,  it can sit alongside it like men and women's tennis does. Navratalovas skill is no less than Nadals.

Sport is fundamentally about joy. At its core its something people do for fun and the female game beats the mens hands down on that score. 
Whether its watching a 13 year old girl excited because she just scored or the fervour ftom Ellen White when the full time whistle went. 
Its all joy and that should be celebrated and embraced.

Im proud to support the women's game and I'm proud to be involved in it in a small way and to try and inspire more into the game. 
Let's give our female players the respect they deserve.

Well done Lionesses.

Just to add my boys team Elsecar main are starting a girls team, not this season but the season after and I'm all for that.

It's the way it's been presented shall we say

3 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

I agree with all this...Eternals is a more leisurely  ride for the mcu but all good.

Black Widow was a bunch of hackneyed forgettable silly ideas thrown together.   Covid really didn't help that film.

• Like 1

Just now, PortlandOwl said:

I'll be honest, i've never watched a match before and without wanting to sound arrogant or anything,  I was surprised at the skill level of the England team.  

I think all those old guffers trying to be edgy and slate the Womens England Team should tune in and watch - it's genuinely great stuff

That backheel goal last night was something else..

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop