Womens Euros

38 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I would also disagree with the ' no diving and cheating ' comments. Ellen White dived to get a penalty the other day. They stay down without being injured, commit professional fouls, argue with officials.

There is a vast, vast difference though. It will sadly creep in almost inevitably I'm sure. In this tournament, Spain seemed to start with a gameplan against us that included a fair amount of sh*thousing and in the last World Cup, the US in particular were not short of a few dirty tricks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There is a vast, vast difference though. It will sadly creep in almost inevitably I'm sure. In this tournament, Spain seemed to start with a gameplan against us that included a fair amount of sh*thousing and in the last World Cup, the US in particular were not short of a few dirty tricks.

Easily stopped by referees

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

100%, I don't like rugby. I don't moan when the six nations are on, or a World Cup.  I have plenty of other things I can do/watch.

Wouldn't surprise me if a large % of the people who are moaning about the coverage are the same ones who claim to never watch the BBC anyway.

Guaranteed

(but every single one of them do really)

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’ve always enjoyed women’s football. It’s a different vibe to the mens game. It’s great that England are doing well as more girls will hopefully take up playing and watching. Comparisons to the mens game are pointless. Like tennis, basketball, athletics, rugby, boxing, MMA etc etc comparing men to women doesn’t make sense. Just enjoy it for what it is. A competitive sport that anyone can watch and enjoy or not watch if they don’t fancy it. 

I saw some guys on TV playing blind football. With a bell in the ball. How cool is that? But maybe they should bother because a local sighted pub team would easily beat them. FFS. 

I watched the blind football on Blackpool beach the donkeys had a terrible time

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, longreach said:

Excellent. No falling over as if they'd been shot, no arguing decisions... pure football. Loved it!! 

Totally agree it’s much more honest in terms of injuries fouls etc. as someone else said though, it will be interesting to see if this continues if the “money men” get their hooks into it. I’d be quite happy for Wednesday to be a club permanently in the championship (if we ever get there) to avoid the pantomime that is the Premier League…suppose I’m just old fashioned!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DB2002 said:

In my mind, even since the last World Cup, the technical ability has developed at the top level very quickly, the first touch, the tactical movement, the passing, and some of the finishing has been excellent.

Part of the joy, other than the fact that it is England, and they are winning, is that there is space in the game and together with the less physical nature of the sport it creates an opportunity for open, flowing, attacking football which coupled with the growing skill level makes it a very enjoyable watch.

Looking forward to Sunday.

Agree with this. If you think about the mens game, there's no doubt that if the top teams now could travel back in time to play the top teams of forty years ago, it would scarcely be a contest. Players now are so much fitter, the game is so much quicker, there is such a premium on space. The development is impressive in its way but doesn't necessarily make the game better to watch. There was a sweet spot in rugby union about 20 years ago when fitness levels and above all technique had evolved from the amateur days, but the arms race which gave us 100kg+ backs hadn't begun, and that's true also for mens football.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Personally can't get into it. The quality is dreadful, would i be wrong in saying the best international women's teams such as USA, Germany, England etc would struggle in the national league? They have zero strength, zero pace, no power in shots, keepers are horrific, think national league is been generous. My mate plays for Hallam in the NCEL and they'd beat them aswell i think

I can't get tennis, horse racing, athletics, swimming, rugby the quality is dreadful but millions do and millions now enjoy women's football. 

Live and let live

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Are people really saying one of the goals last night was one of the best goals ever? I take it they mean that back heel? If so it was good but not that special ffs. 

Context is everything, yes the goal itself was not in a class of its own, but it was a defining goal which summed up the tournament, a little bit cheeky and making people take notice.  

Hopefully it will get more people to embrace the game and that can't be a bad thing can it?

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

There's gonna be lots of girls picking up a football and playing the game now, and going to watch more games live too.

The best legacy these Euros could leave though is that men finally, once and for all, just SHUT UP slating Women's football and grow up.

And to be fair I've seen there are a few less idiotic posts from blokes and that's such a great positive thing

Yep think loads of us have fallen in the trap of comparing men v women and maybe that was to protect our male pride, "How dare women think they have a right to enjoy football?"  But we move on, educate ourselves start watching the game in a new light, now when I watch the game I'm not even thinking they are women (same as I have never thought that men are men) just watch it one team against the other. 

Went to watch my great nephew (under 10's) in a football festival at Wickersley the other week and have done over a number of years and its noticable how many girls teams are now participating.  It's really growing.

As an aside they should televise kids games the games are fantastic to watch played with such enthusiasm and some brilliant skill on show they don't hold back, playing every game as it was the last game ever.

Though I was disappointed that even at that level one team who beat us 3-1, resorted to time wasting, kicking the ball away at throwings and the goalie keeping the ball etc.  

When I compare the standard they play at to what we played at back in the 70's is worlds apart.  Makes me wonder how higher standard they can attain in the future.

Though it was also nice to see a couple of kids giving a shout out to Kez, just casually talking to each other as the game was played around them.

Football is brilliant whatever the level.  Love it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yep think loads of us have fallen in the trap of comparing men v women and maybe that was to protect our male pride, "How dare women think they have a right to enjoy football?"  But we move on, educate ourselves start watching the game in a new light, now when I watch the game I'm not even thinking they are women (same as I have never thought that men are men) just watch it one team against the other. 

Went to watch my great nephew (under 10's) in a football festival at Wickersley the other week and have done over a number of years and its noticable how many girls teams are now participating.  It's really growing.

As an aside they should televise kids games the games are fantastic to watch played with such enthusiasm and some brilliant skill on show they don't hold back, playing every game as it was the last game ever.

Though I was disappointed that even at that level one team who beat us 3-1, resorted to time wasting, kicking the ball away at throwings and the goalie keeping the ball etc.  

When I compare the standard they play at to what we played at back in the 70's is worlds apart.  Makes me wonder how higher standard they can attain in the future.

Though it was also nice to see a couple of kids giving a shout out to Kez, just casually talking to each other as the game was played around them.

Football is brilliant whatever the level.  Love it.

Great post mate

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Are people really saying one of the goals last night was one of the best goals ever? I take it they mean that back heel? If so it was good but not that special ffs. 

Next time you're having a party let me know and I'll nip round 
Bet it's a RIGHT laugh

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop