Womens Euros

It was so enjoyable to first hear the commentators on our TV go all Sweden before the game, they didn't speak of anything else than the superior flexible system they use. Then things started happening lol

I love these matches more than men's. It is so refreshing to see the old football.

Edited by FinnishOwl
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Last night was Bramhall Lanes greatest ever moment, I mean when have the pigs ever won a semi final of a major tournament at their ground?

Well done ENGLAND!!

Brammal lane hasnt seen football that good since The Wednesday moved out

• Love 1

What is sport about at it's heart?

Teamwork, commitment, skill, excitement, achievement and enjoyment. All of that has been displayed by this England team in abundance. And all without the whinging, diving, pretending to be hurt, snarling furiously at every decision, time wasting, trying to break anyone's jaw or shins, spectators posturing about fighting each other because of the shirt they're wearing...

Representatives of this country are doing well in the biggest game on the planet and are on the verge of a major prize. If you don't want to join in and celebrate that, it's up to you although I would argue you are spiting yourself for no good reason. But to be taking offence at the joy it's bringing? Really?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, S25OWL said:

... and wow  🤩 when did you last see a back heel goal like that ! ok they all slated the keeper saying she should have saved it - but to be fair how many would have expected that and saved it 

This!

I remember Henry scoring a similar backheel years ago, and everyone saying it was one of the greatest goals you'll ever see, blah blah blah.

When a woman does it, aah, it was the keepers fault, should've saved it blah blah blah.

Just appreciate it for what it was, a very goal improvised goal.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

really enjoyed it tbh..  sure it's not got the thrust and aggression of male football.   But it was still good with great players

and good skills.  I like the less falling down/rolling around and cheating that went off..  just honest football.

Can't say I've watched loads..  but over the last couple of years it has progressed at a rapid rate.

4 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

Lionesses 🤮.

I decided to watch some paint dry tonight instead. 

It's not for me.

Sorry if that upsets anyone. 

Get back to watching the paint dry. I enjoyed watching the game. Oh, I have been watching football for over 65 years. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

37% of schools still don't allow girls to play football in PE at school

That sounds/reads like something you'd get in Afghanistan or the UAE or Sudan or something

Seen a lot of comments about this with Wrighty being slagged off because “girls do play football now and it isn’t the same as before”.

Girls football HAS come a long way but still has a long way to go. I’ve left school for 9 years now. I was fortunate that I was very much right place right time in terms of the year group I was in and a teacher that I had, and it meant that girls dominated in PE just as much as the lads. I played in a school football team that won trophies and I went onto do A Level PE cos I had great male and female teachers who were very supportive.

Ive since worked in schools where this isn’t the case. I’ve even had a row with a teacher who made a flippant remark that girls shouldn’t play football. A FEMALE teacher. And I’ve seen it where girls football hasn’t been offered on the PE curriculum because the female PE teachers weren’t confident with it. And thus the cycle continues.

So Ian Wright is….right? I really hope this becomes a huge catalyst for a bigger change.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lukeyswfc said:

Some very weird comments saying it’s shoved down our throats… It’s England, in the final of a comp… that 28k people attended, Dev green had a full fan park… Girls are feeling confident and happy watching it…

Deary me. I don’t like F1 but I don’t cry when the BBC put a section about a race SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT!

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. You don’t need to tell people you hate it and everyone else is wrong for watching it

Think BBC and media do 'Shove it down people throat' a bit but nowhere near as bad as when the Mens team were doing well at last years Euros and the Russia World Cup, that did irritate me.

Also think we have done comparing mens and womens football to death. Should be treated really as two different sports.
We don't constantly compare women's and mens tennis or athletics.

As other have said it nice to watch a game without the constant gamesmanship you see in mens professional football.
Also I am sure these women are well paid but on nothing like what  the England mens team get so makes me feel they live a life nearer the average person on the street does, probably made more sacrifices as well.

Me and my 8 year old son got up at 5am here in Australia to watch the lionesses. He was so pumped for the game made me promise to wake him up. What a game it was the ladies did the nation proud!!

Yeah the game/quality/physicality was different but so was Liverpool vs Real Madrid verse watching Wednesday vs Cheltenham. Enjoy supporting the nation and feel proud we have team that’s in the final.

Change has started get on board and help your kids (if you have any) feel normal watching the beautiful game male or female.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1