Womens Euros

53 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

37% of schools still don't allow girls to play football in PE at school

That sounds/reads like something you'd get in Afghanistan or the UAE or Sudan or something

Its a real bugbear of mine. The team I run is in  small rural town. our catchment area is low compared to the bigger places around and i have to compete with dancing, horses, hockey etc. The school is a shambles for the girls football. Boys team fully supported but the girls get a couple of games a year and dont do in PE

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It's just some weird insecurity some blokes have that think that by something existing that:

1) It should be for THEM
2) It means they will have something taken away from them

3) They should oppose it if it has different genders, colour, sexuality or race involved

Some blokes just can't see something emerge or succeed or grow and be encouraging of it 

Proper odd

It's like some natives on an undeveloped island seeing an aeroplane fly past so get scared and attack it by throwing stones at it

lol

You’re probably right and if it gets more women and girls out playing sports it’s got to be a good thing.

But I don’t think you need to be so dismissive about any discussion on the amount of coverage it gets.

As an example, I’m a cricket fan and sky sports used to televise loads of T20 blast games and also international games that didn’t involve England (eg. Australia v Sri Lanka, India v West Indies etc).

Now sky sports barely show any T20 blast games and don’t show any overseas games (that don’t involve England) because that coverage has been replaced by womens cricket.

And I think you’ll see the same in football over the next few years that the amount of coverage and live games the EFL gets will reduce (and there’ll be less league 1 and 2 games shown live) because they’ll be replaced by live coverage of WSL games.

If you’d rather watch a WSL game than an EFL game (and you’re happy that sky are televising more and more WSL every year) then that’s fair enough but you don’t need to laugh at anyone who raises it as a discussion point

• Love 1

Personally can't get into it. The quality is dreadful, would i be wrong in saying the best international women's teams such as USA, Germany, England etc would struggle in the national league? They have zero strength, zero pace, no power in shots, keepers are horrific, think national league is been generous. My mate plays for Hallam in the NCEL and they'd beat them aswell i think

And as for Ian Wright harping on about how good it is, he needs to stop getting players names wrong then. Struggle to take him seriously saying how good it is for womens football when he's clearly got no knowledge of it, kept having to check with Alex Scott and the Swedish fella on the panel for their names, needs to sort his knowledge out first to be taken more seriously.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

You’re probably right and if it gets more women and girls out playing sports it’s got to be a good thing.

But I don’t think you need to be so dismissive about any discussion on the amount of coverage it gets.

As an example, I’m a cricket fan and sky sports used to televise loads of T20 blast games and also international games that didn’t involve England (eg. Australia v Sri Lanka, India v West Indies etc).

Now sky sports barely show any T20 blast games and don’t show any overseas games (that don’t involve England) because that coverage has been replaced by womens cricket.

And I think you’ll see the same in football over the next few years that the amount of coverage and live games the EFL gets will reduce (and there’ll be less league 1 and 2 games shown live) because they’ll be replaced by live coverage of WSL games.

If you’d rather watch a WSL game than an EFL game (and you’re happy that sky are televising more and more WSL every year) then that’s fair enough but you don’t need to laugh at anyone who raises it as a discussion point

What a load of absolute paranoid baloney

Straight out of the 'they're shoving it down our throats' club

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

And as for Ian Wright harping on about how good it is, he needs to stop getting players names wrong then. Struggle to take him seriously saying how good it is for womens football when he's clearly got no knowledge of it, kept having to check with Alex Scott and the Swedish fella on the panel for their names, needs to sort his knowledge out first to be taken more seriously.

Important to attack the pundit 

Ps the irony of him not knowing names and then posting 'the swedish fella' isn't lost on me

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Personally can't get into it. The quality is dreadful, would i be wrong in saying the best international women's teams such as USA, Germany, England etc would struggle in the national league? They have zero strength, zero pace, no power in shots, keepers are horrific, think national league is been generous. My mate plays for Hallam in the NCEL and they'd beat them aswell i think

Don't watch it then

Watch your mate playing for Hallam?

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't watch it then

Watch your mate playing for Hallam?

wish the women's teams were as defensive as you Neil, then people might be able to take it more seriously and not have to watch a keeper get lobbed or backheeled by two passbacks. Teach them your defensive methods it might up the quality a bit

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Yes we know any level of Mens football from Sunday league up would beat any Women's side!!!

Mens and women's football are different sports and should be views as such.
We don't constantly go on about Mens Wimbledon Champion would beat Women's Wimbledon Champion.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

wish the women's teams were as defensive as you Neil, then people might be able to take it more seriously and not have to watch a keeper get lobbed or backheeled by two passbacks. Teach them your defensive methods it might up the quality a bit

Oh I'm not being defensive

I'm being attack minded and very direct 

I'm pointing out to some blokes that change is already happening and it's leaving some of them looking like right dinosaurs

I'm thrusting forward the fact that Women's football is here, it's happening, and there's nothing going to stop it

Especially some gimmer on the internet crying because it's not for THEM specifically

It really is time for some of the blokes in this world to come out of the dark ages and understand life moves on past their outdated views

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Why are you making comparisons to the men's game . 

Women's football stands on its own

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Well done for noticing that women are generally smaller, weaker and less aggressive than their male counterparts. That's startling news to all us fools who have been enjoying the tournament in blissful ignorance.

It's relatively well known that the women's world champions were comfortably beaten by an American team of teenage boys. What do you propose they do about that? Become men? As I understand it, the science is that not only are females at an obvious physical disadvantage, but also in terms of the brain's reaction time and visual-spatial processing abilities. Fortunately, the enlightened are able to incorporate such realities and enjoy the game regardless. The genders should complement each other, not be in constant competition.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, The coach said:

Yet all my female friends prefer men’s football...suppose they are just being ‘edgy’

I prefer men's football too, that's why I've had a season ticket at Hillsborough for 30 plus years but that fact has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the women's game. I prefer men's football to cricket, does that mean I can't appreciate England's recent epic run chases and acknowledge Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow as the top level sportsmen they are in their field?

I find the constant comparisons to the men's game odd tbh, I mean you don't go to Hallam or Stocksbridge and then slate them for not being as good as Man City, you just accept the level they're playing at and enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 6

The real question we need to be asking is why are some men so insecure and frightened that they feel the need to sit attacking ladies football because they fear it may just succeed and women might just have something for themselves to enjoy and get involved in?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

All I can add to this discussion is that from the moment that ball kicked off last night is that I was watching a game of football.  I was cheering on the England team, moaning at the ref, getting excited at every attack, grumbling when things didnt go well, and cheering like a nutter when we scored especially the 3rd which had me out of my seat.  An evening in watching footy with the bonus of a victory and a final for our side, whats not to like.  Will defo be doing the same on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"