Womens Euros

3 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

Some very weird comments saying it’s shoved down our throats… It’s England, in the final of a comp… that 28k people attended, Dev green had a full fan park… Girls are feeling confident and happy watching it…

Deary me. I don’t like F1 but I don’t cry when the BBC put a section about a race SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT!

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. You don’t need to tell people you hate it and everyone else is wrong for watching it

Exactly this 

Ricky Gervais' (very accurate) description of Twitter springs to mind

https://youtu.be/uEawbnXaIDs

• Like 6

Quite refreshing to see teams playing attacking football from the start . None of this messing about at the back , backwards , sideways back again

. ..No rolling about whenever there's a tackle , no hysterics with referees ...they just get on with it . Hope the men learn from these women .

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally think that schools need to do more to encourage girls to play football now. Ian Wright got it spot on last night. So much investment by the FA, WSL, pro clubs, etc. It's time the schools got on board and if they do it will flourish. Make it part of the PE national curriculum and the teams will follow. Not a dig at the teachers by the way.

Surprised we're still seeing the 'my mate plays for a non-league side and I reckon they'd beat them' nonsense in this thread. Why do you feel the need to compare? What would it prove even they did?  It's a totally different game. See it as that and you'll see it in a different light. In fact just educate yourself why that might be the case - science, 50 year ban, nations with no pro women's league, etc.

• Like 3

If you don't like it/are not interested, then fair enough.

But, if that's the case, why moan about it and claim there is an agenda? 

At the end of the day, it's a professional sport and they and their broadcast partners should promote it to their hearts are content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

Some very weird comments saying it’s shoved down our throats… It’s England, in the final of a comp… that 28k people attended, Dev green had a full fan park… Girls are feeling confident and happy watching it…

Deary me. I don’t like F1 but I don’t cry when the BBC put a section about a race SHOVING IT DOWN MY THROAT!

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. You don’t need to tell people you hate it and everyone else is wrong for watching it

Top post well done.

I believe 9.3m watched the game last night, the coverage the BBC or any news outlet are giving is fully deserved. The English ladies are fantastic role models and not just because they have reached a final.  

What I have a problem with is the coverage Liverpool men’s football team always gets, but maybe that’s me being hypocritical. Though England is a country and Liverpool is a club side. 

• Like 2

I’ve always enjoyed women’s football. It’s a different vibe to the mens game. It’s great that England are doing well as more girls will hopefully take up playing and watching. Comparisons to the mens game are pointless. Like tennis, basketball, athletics, rugby, boxing, MMA etc etc comparing men to women doesn’t make sense. Just enjoy it for what it is. A competitive sport that anyone can watch and enjoy or not watch if they don’t fancy it. 

I saw some guys on TV playing blind football. With a bell in the ball. How cool is that? But maybe they should bother because a local sighted pub team would easily beat them. FFS. 

• Like 6

I’d rather watch woman's football than have ‘elite’ broken Champions League football on my tv.   

Barca with their debt, buying players and never paying them.  Super league.  Man U spending hundreds of millions, Bury going bust because of the FA’s crappy rules, Wednesday being relegated with a points deduction.  

Mens footy is broken.  I only watch Wednesday because of my love for them and Salford because my wife works there.  And the footy on display is usually turgid.  

Women’s football is awful quality compared but you shouldn’t compare.  It’s unique and it’s own thing. 

Personally, the womens euros doesn’t get me excited but my daughter is loving it and i think that’s fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Watch the highlights here…

some of the movement, pace, and through balls wouldn’t look out of place in league one. If bannan had played some of those through balls we’d be waxing lyrical.

I’d not watched any women football before but the quality was much higher than expected.

I used to be a bit irked that it got so much coverage.

Then I educated myself, listened to other peoples opinions on it , and now it has filled the men's summer tournament void completely for me.

Bonus is , we can go as a family and not be surrounded a bunch of coked up hoolies which happens even at Wednesday home games.

Of  course a decent male amateur team would beat the women's national side That's because, you know, men tend to be bigger, stronger and quicker. The set up  from grass routes is also biased towards coaching for boys and young males.. 

That doesn't mean that that the games are not exciting, they most certainly are. The key enjoyment factors for football are still all there - technical ability, skill, drama and tension.

I would also disagree with the ' no diving and cheating ' comments. Ellen White dived to get a penalty the other day. They stay down without being injured, commit professional fouls, argue with officials. These are not dainty little ladies in fluffy pink outfits giggling through a game, these are strong , athletic , professional sportswomen wanting to win. 

I know the usual suspects will stick stubbornly to not giving it a chance, scared the wokeist agenda will come and get them or something, but I tell you summat, they are missing out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, modboy said:

Watch the highlights here…

some of the movement, pace, and through balls wouldn’t look out of place in league one. If bannan had played some of those through balls we’d be waxing lyrical.

I’d not watched any women football before but the quality was much higher than expected.

We watched in a bar in Turkey and we've booked a table for Sunday's final,cracking game wasn't it

• Like 1

In my mind, even since the last World Cup, the technical ability has developed at the top level very quickly, the first touch, the tactical movement, the passing, and some of the finishing has been excellent.

Part of the joy, other than the fact that it is England, and they are winning, is that there is space in the game and together with the less physical nature of the sport it creates an opportunity for open, flowing, attacking football which coupled with the growing skill level makes it a very enjoyable watch.

Looking forward to Sunday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

If you don't like it/are not interested, then fair enough.

But, if that's the case, why moan about it and claim there is an agenda? 

At the end of the day, it's a professional sport and they and their broadcast partners should promote it to their hearts are content.

100%, I don't like rugby. I don't moan when the six nations are on, or a World Cup.  I have plenty of other things I can do/watch.

Wouldn't surprise me if a large % of the people who are moaning about the coverage are the same ones who claim to never watch the BBC anyway.