Do other fans reject some of their player as much as our fans do?

Slightly off topic but I was never comfortable with Chris woods. November 1991 we were in the front row of the South Stand at the stain, lost 2:0 and Wood's performance was dire. Due to our position we were close to the players as they were walking down the tunnel as I shouted "That was F*cking awful Woods, you shouldn't have been on the pitch" At this point a policeman turned and looked at me and I thought I was in trouble, he just nodded at me and said "Aye, you're right kid!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh gosh, if you think we're bad

Arsenal and Emmanuel Adebayor

They absolutely despised that player and were celebrating like they'd won Euro Millions when he left for Manchester City. Everyone remembers that celebration though as payback

Also in recent times

Just look at the abuse Harry Maguire gets from Manchester United fans

12 hours ago, GermanBird said:

I do feel sorry for both of our goalkeepers.

It seems like we will never forgive them the mistakes they made in the past.

And these lads are two of our own, not keepers we’ve spent zillions on. Neither of them are world beaters, but they’re way better than many we’ve faced this season.

If they played for someone else, a lot of their detractors would be wanting us to sign them. Our expectations kill this club. It’s time we realised we’ve been an underachieving club for nearly 100 years.Please get real, we’re not Real Madrid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Rotherham fans, Paul the Miller and Brian the miller, wanted Paul Warne sacked Immediately after their last relegation.

Now they want to have his Kid's, again.

I listen to it regularly and Brian the Miller has never wanted Warne sacked it was that nobhead watmacallit Paul that said it, complete arsehole, but Brian the Miller usually is OK, not like Brian the sycophantic blunt..

56 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Oh give over whinging about the bloody fans. 🤣

You'll have us sat holding hands singing nursery rhymes at the games next lol

Doesn't that already happen when Rotherham play Sheffield United?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, shandypants said:

It seems that we Wednesdayites are a bit self-destructive at times with our rejection of our own players. It seems that every one of our players has some real loathsome characters wanting to chase them out of the club. I was the same with Rhodes (he was w4nnkk though). 

I was brought up through a long line of Wednesdayites, going back to before the first world war. The mantra was "if they pull a Wednesday shirt on then you support them come what may". Yup I have opinions on skill quality and commitment of some of them, but I still support them.

What's weirder than fans hating their own players are the fans who want to try and justify fans hating their own players

You know the type

"we pay our money and they get paid millions and drive bentley's so I should be able to abuse them on twitter and boooo them whilst they're playing" etc

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

I was brought up through a long line of Wednesdayites, going back to before the first world war. The mantra was "if they pull a Wednesday shirt on then you support them come what may". Yup I have opinions on skill quality and commitment of some of them, but I still support them.

I bet they all voted labour too.

Generally speaking all stes of football fans are the same, we all come from the same cross section of society. I quite often read other fans forums, sad I know. They have the same mix of haters for certain players. The pigs absolutely hammer some of their players.

• Like 1

Players get a reputation for being 'bad', then to certain sections of the crowd everything is their fault, even when it's not.

I remember Jack Hunt (first time round) getting stick for losing the ball when he was stuck out on the right wing, with the other 10 players doing absolutely nothing to make a pass for him.

Can't have been Bannan's fault, cos he's 'good'.

Think this is what's happened with Liam Palmer. He started off as a midfielder, but wasn't good enough to play there, so got labelled as a 'bad' player. Then he wasn't that great at full back for quite a while.

Now he's actually quite a reasonable defender, but people are still anchored on him being a 'bad' player

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

For every Flair player, you need 2 Palmers to do the unseen work.

And I suppose that's why you get a divided opinion on Owlstalk. If our side was made up of 7 Liam Palmer's and 4 flair players, we'd finish somewhere around mid table in my view.

I'd say, for every flair player, you been at least 1 warrior who you'd take into the trenches with you. Liam Palmer isn't that. I'd say, for every flair player, you need a bit of steel, a bit of height, a bit of pace, a player that will still get you an occasional goal and assist. Liam Palmer isnt that either. 

Every team is ok with 1 Liam Palmer, like I said before, he's blue and white, he's a good egg, he's no trouble, but we've had a few too many of them in recent years (Joey P, Morgan F, Julian B, Jordan R, Kadeem H  to name just a few hardworking players who we amassed )

18 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I can't disagree with much of what you've written there. He's a model professional as far as I can tell and well liked in the dressing room. However, he's exactly that, he rarely makes a positive difference to the result (scored, assisted, marked a player out of the game), he's got a mistake in him and it's infuriating when you see him fail to bust a gut to get back. I see him as an above average L1 player, but not a top 2 league 1 player. I guess it depends what you are striving for. I don't mind one Palmer type in our squad, especially as hes a Wednesday fan, but I'd hope we have a team where he only makes the bench each week.  

I don't disagree. 

You don't want a squad full of what Liam is, which is essentially a solid utility player. 

But you do need a couple, particularly at our level where you can't be splashing fortunes. 

A lad who can play CB, RB, LB, RWB and do so in a solid manner is a very useful asset and I'm sure that will be the case in this forthcoming season. 

Every team needs a few water carriers. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What's weirder than fans hating their own players are the fans who want to try and justify fans hating their own players

You know the type

"we pay our money and they get paid millions and drive bentley's so I should be able to abuse them on twitter and boooo them whilst they're playing" etc

I hate booing. I understand it sometimes, games aren't cheap and football in general can be infuriating.

But I always resist because what's the point of demoralising the players?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

I don't disagree. 

You don't want a squad full of what Liam is, which is essentially a solid utility player. 

But you do need a couple, particularly at our level where you can't be splashing fortunes. 

A lad who can play CB, RB, LB, RWB and do so in a solid manner is a very useful asset and I'm sure that will be the case in this forthcoming season. 

Every team needs a few water carriers. 

Man City spend a fortune and have excellent players in every position.  We should follow their example 

Guest DoesJackHunt
On 22/05/2022 at 21:36, shandypants said:

Indeed. A prime example being when some people were blaming Palmer solely for Sunderland’s equaliser in the playoff second leg where the fact is that NML and Storey were equally, if not more, culpable than Palmer. 

Bit harsh on Storey, he was pulled out of position because of NML failure to track back.
Palmer was ball watching though. 

Everyone was saying Palmer was the man of the match for the first leg. I wasn’t (storey) but I think the majority on here were. 
So, I get what you are saying but he gets praise too, that’s my point.

I do think posters can be way too harsh with criticisms of our players. Especially based on one game. 

If a player is consistently rubbish, Rhodes, Shodipo, Bothroyd then it’s fair enough to point that out. 
What I hate is people hammering players based on a bad game. Usually straight after the match when emotions are high and they post reactionary over the top stuff like
“He should never play for us again” 

“Never been a footballer”

”Not fit to where the shirt”

and things that’s get really personal like

”He’s thick as mince” 

It’s so dramatic and over the top.

Players will read Owlstalk and it won’t do their confidence any good.