JORDAN RHODEZZZZ!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Dont think many owls would begrudge Tom Lees success, served us well during his time here, but theres always the odd numpty that swims against the tide

So different opinions = numptys or ‘swimming against the tide’..don’t engage wi me anymore

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The coach said:

So different opinions = numptys or ‘swimming against the tide’..don’t engage wi me anymore

Not sure you can begrudge Lees. He was nothing short of solid for us and its baffling that you think otherwise. 

He never hurt the club so why wouldn't you wish him well?

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

What attitude should he have shown when Paterson, Green, Harris, Da Cruz, Marriot, Kachunga etc we’re up front for Wednesday while Rhodes was on the bench?

Dreadful waste of a proper striker. 

The very fact that those players were higher than him in the pecking order illustrates how bad he was for us. Apart from when he was on loan, he was not selected to play by on a regular basis by almost all (if not all) Wednesday manager he played under. 

He was given enough chances to cement his place is the side but never took any of them. That is down to him and no more me else. 

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

The very fact that those players were higher than him in the pecking order illustrates how bad he was for us. Apart from when he was on loan, he was not selected to play by on a regular basis by almost all (if not all) Wednesday manager he played under. 

He was given enough chances to cement his place is the side but never took any of them. That is down to him and no more me else. 

*”no one else” not “no more me else”. 

3 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Just doesn’t work out for players at certain clubs, for various reasons,  very unfair to call out his attitude 

He didn’t choose his price tag, it wasn’t his fault the club signed him and there was certainly more things wrong at the club than Jordan Rhodes at the time, not saying I forgive him for the penalty incident but if his confidence was shot and he didn’t fancy it , it is what it is 

To call out his attitude is very unfair, everywhere Jordan Rhodes has been he’s scored goals , it didn’t work out for

him here but that’s football ! It happens and will happen again many many times 

Watching that goal tonight just shows exactly what he is at that level, a fantastic goal scorer 

I haven’t mentioned his price tag. I also haven’t mentioned his record elsewhere. I have no doubt he has talent. He didn’t apply himself at SWFC.  

5 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

We needed to play him week in, week out with another striker alongside him and his goals would have kept us up. 

I can't quite believe I'm about to post in a Jordan Rhodes thread in 2022, but he we go...

I'm not sure we could play him week in, week out last season; certainly not over a sustained period, anyway.

The thing with Rhodes is that he rarely looked fully fit and up to playing for much more than the appearances we gave him last season. We saw flashes of a more complete performance, such as the Barnsley game, but unfortunately they were the exception rather than the rule.

I thought it was strange at the time when Thompson was talking of the need for him to 'get his legs back together' last February, particularly when he'd hardly been run into the ground at that point.

Then the Huddersfield manager revealed Rhodes had arrived to them with a back problem which they'd been trying to manage before he broke down, which could help explain things...

"He had a problem in the back and from the beginning has had pain in training.

"We were managing the number of training [sessions] with him because he continued having this pain."

It seems like he's recovered from his issues and is in much better shape than when he left us now though, according to Corberan:

"After the pain he has had, he has recovered from the pain. It has been an intense recovery.

“I am watching him now and he is better (in condition) than when he joined the club.

Then he had some restrictions on mobility and could not show his possibilities for the team.

“He has now trained two or three times in group game situations and I am watching him better than when he arrived at club."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

Have to agree that all the years Rhodes was here he never earned a place in the starting eleven. Just seemed totally void of confidence and wasn't up to what was required. Think we bought him at the early days of his downward spiral as Boro realised it was time to sell.

28 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Have to agree that all the years Rhodes was here he never earned a place in the starting eleven. Just seemed totally void of confidence and wasn't up to what was required. Think we bought him at the early days of his downward spiral as Boro realised it was time to sell.

There’s a bit of re-writing of history going on in this thread.

Rhodes was a big factor in Boro getting promoted. He scored 5 and got 2 assists in 7 games in the run-in where they pipped Brighton to go up. Once in the Prem they decided he wasn’t up to it.

In the same way Norwich sold Hooper once they made the Prem, and Forestieri was sold by Watford once they went up, Rhodes was a superb Championship player but came up short in the Prem. 

7 hours ago, victorturner said:

Even when DM arrived, we continued to play with only 1 striker. Although  DM said on arrival he had to get the best out of Rhodes, he hardly ever picked him to start even though he was the only true striker on the books,  unless you assume that Windass and Paterson are strikers. We could not find room for him. 

I have to explain my post as the experts on here don’t understand it again 😩

Didn’t it take sometime this season for the style of play we see from us now to bed in?

So in a nutshell implementing this is in a short period of time last season was a non starter. 

What my initial post meant is put Rhodes in our side/system now he scores goals regularly.

Back onto Lees.

I’ve watched numerous Town games this season and whilst Lees still isn’t Beckenbauer or Hansen he’s very competent playing the ball out. I guess it shows what good coaching can do. The Town back 3 always have options, whether wide, inside or from busy midfielders looking for the ball.

We did it way too ponderously for seasons. Lees regularly had two options for us - chip forward or back to Westwood.

That said, Moore certainly seems to have improved us in that respect. Our playing out was way better this season.

Edited by Holmowl

7 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

What ruined Rhodes was his move to bonny 'Boro.

'Boro were bobbar by PL standards anyway, with a manager who played him as a lone striker in a defensive outfit.

How many strikers in world football could have thrived in that environment?

There are only a handful of clubs in world football who could afford such a player.

And if a club has that sort of money, then it doesn't have to play that formation in the first place.

Colin did the same and played with a lone striker when United went up in the mid-Noughties, because he was scared of opponents running straight through them.

yep agree. Football was evolving at that stage with the lone striker and two wide wingers becoming very fashionable…Rhodes Isn’t a lone striker/target man/battering ram. 

rhodes would have thrived with Gregory this session. 

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

There’s a bit of re-writing of history going on in this thread.

Rhodes was a big factor in Boro getting promoted. He scored 5 and got 2 assists in 7 games in the run-in where they pipped Brighton to go up. Once in the Prem they decided he wasn’t up to it.

In the same way Norwich sold Hooper once they made the Prem, and Forestieri was sold by Watford once they went up, Rhodes was a superb Championship player but came up short in the Prem. 

Not a chance that he was a superb championship player for us. He wasn't at the races here. As I stated we bought him at the start of his downward spiral on ridiculous wages . Don't think he can be rated as anything but a disaster for this club and that's not rewriting any history it's fact.

Absolute garbage for us, despite us changing our system to accommodate him.

You don't spend the money we did on Rhodes in wages without giving him several chances.

Manager after manager saw him in training every day and didn't like what they saw. Were they all wrong then?

Whatever his issue was, and I do think he had off field problems,  his work rate and attitude on the pitch was shocking.

I wasn't suprised to see a thread on him tonight, far too many owlstakers still think he was treated poorly here and that they know better than 5 different professional football managers. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Not a chance that he was a superb championship player for us. He wasn't at the races here. As I stated we bought him at the start of his downward spiral on ridiculous wages . Don't think he can be rated as anything but a disaster for this club and that's not rewriting any history it's fact.

He absolutely was a disaster for us. Nobody could disagree. But it could and should have been so much better.

He helped Boro and Norwich go up with critical goals while we were losing millions on him. Now he’s doing the same for Huddersfield on a free.