Darren in or out?

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Who would you get in as manager?

That is a question and a half.

So as you have ascertained, I am not a fan of Moore,, but  I still would not replace him because I cannot think of an easy way to replace him.   Isn't that a strange reply to your question.

You can't make a change if it is not for the better.

Honestly, I don't know so  I would not axe Moore at this time.

It doesn't mean I don't think Moore is doing a great job though.

1 minute ago, DaveClark said:

So as you have ascertained, I am not a fan of Moore,, but  I still would not replace him because I cannot think of an easy way to replace him.   Isn't that a strange reply to your question.

Can't even be arsed to reply... but thanks for the response

• Haha 1

How come there’s a Moore in or out thread every few days or so? Surely we’ve flogged the subject to death. Some of us on here seem to have it in for him, others think he’s done a good job under difficult circumstances.

We need to move on as a fan base, get behind the team and the man, and look forward to what is hopefully a promotion year. If it isn’t, or looks like it won’t be, then that’s the time to question managerial leadership. But for now - DM is ours - be proud of what he’s achieved so far, and hope for great times ahead.

• Like 2

Are we gonna sack a manager everytime we finish just short of a goal? 

We sack him, new guy comes in, spends summer building his team and incorporating his style of play etc. Team obviously takes some time to get used to things. 

If we don't go up? Sack him and repeat the cycle? A new manager every 6 months until we get lucky? 

We need stability at some point and now seems as good as a point as any. I'd rather we don't get the reputation Leeds had under Celino.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DaveClark said:

Agree with this sort of.

Definitely think we underachieved with that squad last year.  100% still think we could and should have changed manager in October/November 2021 when a a ready made replacement in Alex Neil was available.

But on other hand there has been an improvement since the new year, hopefully we recruit well to sort the issues that let us down last year.

At present there is no outstanding (realistic) candidate out there so time to back the current set up, no reason we cannot get automatic promotion next year (would like Sunderland to win Saturday though as makes task little easier)

On 14/05/2022 at 19:18, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

1161740801_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.6abb6a9e175b50261c0cae9ba32eb3a0.png

That certainly is telling. And you can't blame him for the slow start after the mass turnover of players.

Main disappointment was the playoff game but Neil did a job on him there. Tactically he seems questionable but definately deserves another shot at it.

And his signings were a major positive so lets hope we see more of the same this summer.

If things go badly to start next season he'll be under pressure, but we should give him until Xmas at least. And another positive is the football is usuually entertaining, so it's easier to accept some sticky results when we are playing attacking football and scoring goals. 

The defence is the other area he's questionable imo, that has to improve next season to get auto.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 18:52, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Byers was out injured for a big chunk of the season and needed managing back to full match fitness.

If anyone is aware of his qualities, it will be the bloke who signed him for the club, I reckon.

:duntmatter:

Moore signed a lot of players.

In some respect he signed players he knew he could not play as they were all of a similar ilk.

1 hour ago, DaveClark said:

Moore signed a lot of players.

In some respect he signed players he knew he could not play as they were all of a similar ilk.

Not sure that's fair. He had no budget so he signed what he could. I got the impression there were a few different players he was after that he failed on. I remember the left back (was he at Donny) who went into the Championship, he was linked with a tall striker (can't remember his name) and it was clear he didn't get his first choice in a few cases. Sow seemed to be forced on him a little, plus if you have loan enquiries out there that you are waiting on that must make it tricky. 

Initial signings/loan Kamberi, Gregory, Adeniran, Byers, Hunt, Brown, BPF, Corbaneau, Johnson, Wing aren't incredibly similar and I think at that point he had planned to play 2 CHs and had Hutch, Iorfa, Palmer, Dunkley + Brennan and probably thought that should be enough. 

56 minutes ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

In. 100%

That's a big quote.

For me he is in because I can't think chopping and changing will help.

That's one of only two reasons I have.   The second is he has a half decent record of recruitment, so I am hoping he can pull things out of the hat on that score.

What I'm not convinced about is when it comes to the nitty gritty of games again,  will he go back to his preferred tactics, will he still have little to offer by way of changing a game plan when things aren't going our way, and will he play on the front foot more then he does currently?

On 15/05/2022 at 17:38, BridportOwl said:

Occasional individual player errors, not mistakes from Moore in my opinion. 

From what I have seen on here:

A players gets injured = Moore's fault.

Keeper makes a howler = Moore's fault.

Bad pass = Moore's fault.

Look at some of the posts on here after Bannan went down injured against Portsmouth. You would have thought Moore had run onto the pitch and kicked him the way some people reacted.

Nobody rational would blame any manager for that sort of thing.  But our manager has made numerous mistakes in selection,  admittedly in the opinion of some supporters who might know all the facts every time,  in unnecessarily playing players out of position and in being overcautious,  hence all those draws.

That does not mean he ought to go but some supporters are bound to have reservations esp as we did not play well in the play off. That was our real test and we failed and only rarely looked like beating Sunderland. 
Rotherham had a better season and that is bound to be irritating. 

Just now, victorturner said:

Nobody rational would blame any manager for that sort of thing.  But our manager has made numerous mistakes in selection,  admittedly in the opinion of some supporters who might know all the facts every time,  in unnecessarily playing players out of position and in being overcautious,  hence all those draws.

That does not mean he ought to go but some supporters are bound to have reservations esp as we did not play well in the play off. That was our real test and we failed and only rarely looked like beating Sunderland. 
Rotherham had a better season and that is bound to be irritating. 

Sorry…amend.. .line 3 ..might NOT know all the facts

45 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Which 'mistakes' are we talking about?

Who did he unnecessarily play out of position?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

On 15/05/2022 at 18:28, parajack said:

NO it isnt it was our first season in L1 having just been relegated ONLY by an EFL sanction(as bad as we were) we were an established Championship side and retained 7 Championship players to start the season,on Championship level contracts.

They came in the main(if not entirely) from other Championship Clubs ...we than later brought in Gregory,Dean,and Storey,ALL from Championship Clubs....BPF from Burnely....

We had CHAMPIONSHIP Players playing in L1.......(which of course made them at the time 'L1' players...)..but all regulars from playing in a League higher,against a higher level of opposition.

The team over the last four months looked like a Championship team of players. The budget was the biggest in this league, so we are told. It sometimes looked as if we had too many players to pick from . 

In for me; give him until Christmas. Needs to hit the ground running this season and have us playing in a more expansive way. I think he's nearly there. I'm not confident though having seen what happened with him at WBA but I think he deserves to be backed in the summer as these are now his players. Would love us to bring in a assistant though that compliments him and can get the team really firing.

15 hours ago, DaveClark said:

That's a big quote.

For me he is in because I can't think chopping and changing will help.

That's one of only two reasons I have.   The second is he has a half decent record of recruitment, so I am hoping he can pull things out of the hat on that score.

What I'm not convinced about is when it comes to the nitty gritty of games again,  will he go back to his preferred tactics, will he still have little to offer by way of changing a game plan when things aren't going our way, and will he play on the front foot more then he does currently?

A lot to unpack there. 

They say if 50% of transfers are successful you're doing well, on thar front DM is about right.

As for big games, I see your point but I'm not sure you should be considering moving DM on for a good tactical performance from Sunderland.

Steve Cooper got forest to 3rd in champ and lost key game to Bournemouth, plus the lost the second tie to playoffs last night only going through on pens. Playoff football is harsh and unpredictable. If they had not gone through last night would people be asking Cooper to go? Seems unreasonable to me and its a comparible situation with DM

Imo of course

• Like 1

Moore has got the team playing the best football since CC first season. We played Sunderland in the playoffs and in reality there was nothing between the two teams. I think he has earned the right to be in charge next season. With a tweak or two in the squad there is no reason we won't be up there all season .Time to get behind the team and the manager.

• Like 2