Dunkley Staying?

Sounds very much like it! 

I like Chey he does seem to be a genuinely good guy and a leader. Sometimes that hasn't translated to performances on the pitch and his injury record has been less than ideal.  When he has been on form though, he's been superb. 

I'm surprised if Moore has decided to keep him on, that says to me that its unlikely we will get Dean to stay and Storey is an absolute non starter. 

• Like 3

Just a feeling  we may end up being surprised at how many actually stay, maybe on reduced terms.  I think Moore might want to keep the majority together so we simply add to that here and there. Release certain ones, Shapido, Brown, and let go of the ones we know have to return. BPF, Dean, Storey. Gibson. I don’t expect overhaul. 

• Like 1

Has to prove his fitness,  would I prefer Dean ?  Absolutely 

But I suspect DM is gonna keep the core of the squad together, I really think we’ll see Lewis Gibson back aswell 

I always thought missing out on promotion would work in his favour here as I very much doubt we’d have been looking to keep him had we had gone up?

That said this level he’s a good player but like with quite a few of our squad how many games is he going to play?

The fact he’s had no dialogue suggests he won’t be here.

Certainly not a bad player, his issue has been that he’s only managed to play 33 times over 2 seasons. I do sympathise with him, his leg break and constant set backs must have been a real struggle for a player who prior to that was looking at getting a top Championship move. 

Wish we would crack on with the retained list. Sheffield United released theirs yesterday and still may have 3 games to play! 

Edited by 0114
  • Like 2

I like Dunkley - he appears to be a good honest “kick it/head it” pro and I wouldn’t see it as a negative if he stayed with us because he can be used to counter the aerial and roughhousing tactics of certain opposites; however, I haven’t really seen enough of his passing play to determine if he can pass the ball effectively enough for Moore’s style of play. 

If Dunkley does stay then Moore needs to find a way for him to fit into our “passing out from the back” philosophy. 

• Like 2

I can see him being a committed pro but personally apart from a couple of winter months I don’t know what would give us a reason to sign him 

Even when he was fit he was on the bench more and players like Palmer ( not a critiscm ) we’re selected above him 

so I’d like to think there is much better options out there that we would look on to step or use 

it seemed we only favoured big dunks when we had our massive injury crisis, he got injured which was unfortunate to him at the time because he was on form 

but not for me, dean, that big 22 year old tall lad from is it Gillingham who I know nothing about apart from reading owlstalk, both seem on paper to be the right steps to overhaul this squad and make it much more competitive that resigning dunkley 

I’d also think with him signing for us in the championship he’d be a big earner in terms of what cbs are paid in this division and that’s ok if he’s in the starting 11 pushing for a promotion but can you see that with us?

im not critism dunkley he’s got obvious strengths but he’s be an overpaid underused player IMO and for the money we can do better 

• Like 1

Dunkley is great in the air. At one time this season he was causing the opposition all sorts of problems when we had corners, he was unplayable. He's good at defending in the air, on the ground he's a bit slow but good enough for this level, if he ever gets fully match fit he would probably be a very good CB at this level.

On the other hand there have been times when he looked petrified when the ball was passed to him when we were playing out, he really was dreadful at that. After the turn of the year he stopped looking petrified and just looked uncomfortable.

He's 31 now, whether we keep him will depend on whether Moore wants an honest defender or a ball playing defender for next season.

• Like 1