Liam Palmer

4 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Once the balls in the box you can throw a coin for who wins it

Storey needs to just wipe the ball and player out, with no risks taken on letting him turn and run at you 

NML was a poor sub mind, his skill set is running in behind and pushing teams back, they were already parked on the edge of the final third

Bringing him on made us unnecessarily vulnerable down that side 

Cost us dearly

I know what you mean, but with the headstart he had over Roberts, it looked like Palmer should have easily beaten him to the ball if he'd shown the same desire and determination.

Stop looking for scapegoats and pouring over the ‘what ifs’. We can analyse & disect every game and find a moments action that serves to evidence the point we want to make about great, indifferent or abject performances. No one did a Jordan Rhodes last night. We got ourselves into the promotion frame after a first hall to the season that didn’t promise that. Someone has to lose & unfortunately it turned out to be us. This isn’t about Liam Palmer or any one individual at all and making it so won’t change the outcome. UTO!

Edited by Hoofit
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Weshallovercome said:

I've watched it back a few times, Roberts starts off running from outside the box and is at full pelt by the time Liam notices him.

Maybe he could have anticipated it better, but for me the main damage was done by firstly NML not busting a gut to get back, Storey not getting close enough to his man to block the cross......and it was a bloody good goal,

So yeah, all three of them messed up then, really.

Three opportunities to prevent the goal, and not one of them taken.

It's quite a fitting end to the season in a way: just one more late goal and one more defensive horror show to add to the showreel.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I agree on both Mendez-Laing and Storey, but do you not think Palmer should have beaten Roberts to the ball?

When Portsmouth scored Palmer did a scamper onto the goal line and left a tap in for his man.....it didn't matter then but in big games mistakes cost big time.

He's been a stalwart but he can't seem to concentrate... it's the hard truth imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but you have to forget all that and just jump on the bandwagon

That's the rules

Apparently Palmer is also behind the hacking of MI5, the poisoning in Salisbury, and Chicago winning the Oscar for best film. 

How does he sleep at night?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

How does Dunkley feel?

A centre back is injured, and he doesn't use the centre back on the bench? He brings on a makeshift defender who constantly gets beat at the far post (a key skill for a supposed full back!).

Do you think Dunkley would have beat the rapid approaching striker to that ball?

Not a chance

Owlstalk Shop

57 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Once the balls in the box you can throw a coin for who wins it

Storey needs to just wipe the ball and player out, with no risks taken on letting him turn and run at you 

NML was a poor sub mind, his skill set is running in behind and pushing teams back, they were already parked on the edge of the final third

Bringing him on made us unnecessarily vulnerable down that side 

Cost us dearly

I don’t think NML was a poor sub. We were 1-0 down when he came on and needed a goal. Just typical he comes on and then within minutes we go and score a goal. 

At 1-1 we were better off sticking with Hunt. But that’s football.

At that moment in the game bringing on NML to spark some creativity was absolutely the right call. And if Byers had slipped him in at 1-0 we could be here planning our trips to Wembley.

Honestly the play offs is a complete lottery and decided on fine margins. 

• Like 2

NML didn't track back

Storey didn't put a foot in and backed off. If he's that knackered then just bring him down. Yes they'll get a free kick in the last few minutes but at least we'd get a chance to regroup to defend the innevitible cross. 

There's 2 people at fault right there before Palmer even comes into the equation.

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I agree on both Mendez-Laing and Storey, but do you not think Palmer should have beaten Roberts to the ball?

Possibly though he did make a good run and finished it well. 

Palmer is always chosen as the scapegoat when anything goes wrong. 

I haven't seen any let's blame Hutchinson thread for defeat after his poor mistake for Sunderland's goal in first leg. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Possibly though he did make a good run and finished it well. 

Palmer is always chosen as the scapegoat when anything goes wrong. 

I haven't seen any let's blame Hutchinson thread for defeat after his poor mistake for Sunderland's goal in first leg. 

Really?

There were loads of comments on here discussing Hutchinson's mistake in the first leg.

Not many blaming him alone for the defeat, but then I've not seen that re: Palmer, either.

It's not scapegoating to point out that Palmer really should have done better for their goal; it's just an honest opinion.

Exactly the same as saying that Mendez-Laing should have done better, as should Storey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mark77 said:

But he gets found out when it really matters (against decent opposition).

Pretty sure he was a disaster in the 5-0 game back in December.

The whole bloody team was found out not just palmer, crying out loud. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't rate him, but thought he had a good game in the first leg, and Sunderland were extremely worried about him in the second.

Tactical genius that is Moore dropped him and they couldn't believe their luck.

Moore should be under scrutiny not Palmer.