Liam Palmer

53 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Some people call themselves fans but only ever see the negative 

you never here them support encouragement only ever bring players and the club down 

It’s bizarre 

In short to bump this thread to try and highlight something in a preseason friendly against a team in the Spanish top flight is beyond negative 

get a grip 

Exactly the same thing cost us potentially going up, to see it again the following pre season means it can happen again when it matters. That's my point. Other teams will spot the weakness and exploit it. Sunderland did, the goal scorer that night was 20 yards behind Palmer but bust a gut because he knew Palmer wouldn't and he could score. Opposition and type of game is irrelevant.  I'm simply highlighting a weakness in his game (as many others have done repeatedly). Nothing to do with being negative. Heneghan looked very good last night if you want a positive comment...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liam Palmer in some respects, and please don't shoot me down saying this, but in some respects he has under delivered on his early promise as a youngster.

He was lauded as one of the few players we had who could easily grace the premier league at one point.

So, I will come to my main point.   He is a full back now, right?  It's the worst thing that ever happened to him being pushed into the right back slot.   He starred for Tranmere in L1 as a central midfielder.

At his age, is it worth transitioning him back to CM?   Most likely not.   My main reason for saying this is with our latest signing we are over subscribed barring injuries or  departures in that position now.

So he'll be floating around fullback/wingback - central defence again this season, not first choice but probably playing a big part, unless we have a miraculously injury free season for most players, which let's be honest hasn't happened for nigh on two decades.

He'll do us ok will Palmer, but for me he'd do us better in central midfield, especially in a 3.

Edited by DaveClark

14 minutes ago, DaveClark said:

Liam Palmer in some respects, and please don't shoot me down saying this, but in some respects he has under delivered on his early promise as a youngster.

He was lauded as one of the few players we had who could easily grace the premier league at one point.

So, I will come to my main point.   He is a full back now, right?  It's the worst thing that ever happened to him being pushed into the right back slot.   He starred for Tranmere in L1 as a central midfielder.

At his age, is it worth transitioning him back to CM?   Most likely not.   My main reason for saying this is with our latest signing we are over subscribed barring injuries or  departures in that position now.

So he'll be floating around fullback/wingback - central defence again this season, not first choice but probably playing a big part, unless we have a miraculously injury free season for most players, which let's be honest hasn't happened for nigh on two decades.

He'll do us ok will Palmer, but for me he'd do us better in central midfield, especially in a 3.

i don’t mind Palmer don’t get me wrong but when was he ever lauded as someone who could grace the premier league? 

5 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

i don’t mind Palmer don’t get me wrong but when was he ever lauded as someone who could grace the premier league? 

Irvine, Megson, Jones,  Gray ALL made this comment.  All coached Palmer.  All said he would be good enough.

At least one of them had badges to prove they were right as well.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveClark said:

Irvine, Megson, Jones,  Gray ALL made this comment.  All coached Palmer.  All said he would be good enough.

At least one of them had badges to prove they were right as well.

They all ended up being very wrong...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DaveClark said:

I do feel like an old duffer saying this, but years ago I saw Palmer play central midfield for our reserves at Port Vale (Steve MacLean also played, we're talking about 15 years ago now).  He was amazing, played with a real swagger, pinging balls around the park... looked a real talent.

While I'd say he's had a really decent career so far as a versatile defender (was he best under Bruce as a left-back?) and has somehow remained fit almost all his time here (who can say that?) I do wonder how he would have progressed in midfield, especially after that Tranmere loan.

But in fairness he's the only player I've ever seen completely control a game as a right-back in that weird game under Megson in the St Johnstones Paint Trophy game against Bradford (?) too.

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

Every goal conceded has an error somewhere, that's not the issue. Hunt made 2 errors last night that led to goals.

It's the fact the same error is made by the same player for a number of seasons that really annoys me.

It's poor coaching by a number of management teams by failing to eradicate it from his game when it's a clear weakness to those of us that really understand the game.

Bloody good of you to take the time to explain things to us mate, I thought you’d be busy with the Man City job

1 hour ago, mark77 said:

Exactly the same thing cost us potentially going up, to see it again the following pre season means it can happen again when it matters. That's my point. Other teams will spot the weakness and exploit it. Sunderland did, the goal scorer that night was 20 yards behind Palmer but bust a gut because he knew Palmer wouldn't and he could score. Opposition and type of game is irrelevant.  I'm simply highlighting a weakness in his game (as many others have done repeatedly). Nothing to do with being negative. Heneghan looked very good last night if you want a positive comment...

You’ve bumped a post and singled out Palmer after a preseason friendly of course that’s being negative 

can you remember Hutchinson slip in the first semi 

how about Mendez-Laing and Paterson missing sitters against Rotherham 

Remember BFP rolling the ball to the Ipswich lad 

there was many mistakes and things you question why we didn’t eventually get promoted 

Palmer was arguably one of our better players In the first leg at their place too 

Sunderland murdered us for speed over two legs nothing to do with Palmer 

there were a lot of problems with last years team Palmer wasn’t one of them 

• Like 3