Tactics for First Leg

I can’t imagine anything other than his 352. 

And with the pick-itself-Xl they only know one way to play, which is perfect to take the game to Sunderland.

If we see a change to formation I’d be really worried hes over-thought it.

• Like 9

I don't doubt he will stick with 3-5-2. I am just hoping that the mentality within that formation is to press and attack.

Not sit back like we did away at Huddersfield that time. We played the usual formation that day but there was no desire to get forward or press. We just wanted to get back to Hillsborough level.

Let's get back to Hillsborough in front.

• Like 2

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Set up like the last few games and attack. A lot of teams in this league can't cope with long periods of pressure, and once one goes in, the other team gets stretched and we can again attack and use the space created, or counter attack. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Set up like the last few games and attack. A lot of teams in this league can't cope with long periods of pressure, and once one goes in, the other team gets stretched and we can again attack and use the space created, or counter attack. 

This ^^^^^

• Like 2

I know there have been other threads with the stats for the ‘advantage’ of playing at home for the second leg and it isn’t that high. Personally I’d be happy with a draw but it’s pretty much impossible to play for a draw so play for the win and cross our fingers I guess. 

Clearly it’s good news that we have the best home performance in the league. But looking at the home/ away table Sunderland are the second best. We are sat next to each other in the away performance table as well. 

No one can call how this will go but I suspect small margins will make the difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

What we all thinking and how do we all want the team to set up?

Personally, I would like us to set up like we did away at MK. We pressed and set our stool out early that day.

I don't think any of us want a repeat of Huddersfield away, and play for a draw. Also Brighton away, many of us 100% cannot handle an away day like that on the old tickers.

We all know Sunderland fans get on the teams back, so an early goal is crucial.

Our best form of defence is to attack. I actually trust Moore to go there and set us up to attack. I cannot see him doing a Carlos away at Huddersfield at all.

I say let the manager and his team think about how we approach the game let the fans support the team

It can be nothing but all out attack, especially if Dean is available and fully fit.

The only question is does he start with Beres or MDL. If Sunderland play a high line (I don’t know what they do), I suspect he will throw Langers in there to stretch them in behind, leaving Beres and Windass to come on from the bench and really push them, in the last 20. 

Just now, Pieman said:

It can be nothing but all out attack, especially if Dean is available and fully fit.

The only question is does he start with Beres or MDL. If Sunderland play a high line (I don’t know what they do), I suspect he will throw Langers in there to stretch them in behind, leaving Beres and Windass to come on from the bench and really push them, in the last 20. 

Not sure a pork sarnie even fully loaded will help our cause 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We can't play for a draw otherwise we will come unstuck cos let's be honest we can't defend and soak up pressure for long periods. BUT if it does happen to be a draw I'd be over the moon. We get out of there with a draw in that first leg and we'll go through imo. Nobody can live with us at home and in front of a packed Hillsborough I'm even more confident.

• Like 3