Tactics for First Leg

5 hours ago, BIG D said:

I’m sure we were all pleased at the time with the 0-0 at Huddersfield 

Yeah it was a good result and the tactics were fine. It was leg 2 that was the problem. 

Anyway different times now and sitting back doesnt suit this team. Our best chance of a result is to be on the front foot. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

It's not the tactics that worries me, it is the line up. I can see DM resting Bannan, Loungo, and Gregory. Giving the advantage to Sunderland. I hope I am wrong, buy at times DM over thinks things.

I don’t think that will happen at all. At most, he may bring in Dean if ready. Bannan replaced if not fit and at a push, may start Pato over Berahino. 

12 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yeah it was a good result and the tactics were fine. It was leg 2 that was the problem. 

Anyway different times now and sitting back doesnt suit this team. Our best chance of a result is to be on the front foot. 

Totally agree,sitting back would be a MAJOR tactical error.....got to go for it,and bring a WIN  back to Hillsboro......Give us a MASSIVE advantage and one foot in the Final...

Leave Sunderland with everything to do coming here....

Attack attack and then attack again 

Play for a draw and we get hammered 

Play like we did in that first 45 mins against mk Don's (who are miles better than Sunderland) and tie will be over in the first leg 

The pressure is all on Sunderland at home 

Time to smash um 

• Like 1

Away MK Dons was an incredible performance, and it  would be great to see something like that.  But our pressing was so intense that everyone was knackered for the last 20, and I think it affected our performance 3 days later at home to Cheltenham too.  So I don't expect us to go for it as much as that. 

I think Moore sees things, sets up the team accordingly, he doesn't always get it right but I trust him to get it right more often than I would. 

Been looking at their results at home recently. Funnily enough they’ve needed late goals in quite a lot of games. 

Rotherham 1-1

Needed an 88th minute OG to salvage a point.

Cambridge 5-1

Comprehensive win for Sunderland. But pretty much the only one under Neil. 

Shrewsbury 3-2

2-0 up and threw away a 2 goal lead. Before nicking a 92nd minute winner. 

1-0 Gillingham 

Again, needed a 95th minute winner. 

Crewe 2-0

Only took the lead in the 84th minute.

Fleetwood 3-1

Yet again didn’t take a lead until the 82nd minute. 

Burton 1-1

Needed a 93rd minute equaliser. 

MK 1-2

Lost to a fellow play off rival. 

So since Neil has taken over they have needed late goals in 6 of his 8 games. Only convincingly beating Cambridge. Not as impressive results wise as it’s appeared. 

• Thanks 1

If anyone is going to be defensive its Alex Neil. They have been really tight at the back since he took over and i think he knows if they go all out attack, that we can exploit them. I think they going to be more wary of us, sure DM will big them up but believe he does that to make sure our players are focused.

Really confident we can win both legs, they are nothing special.

11 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

What we all thinking and how do we all want the team to set up?

Personally, I would like us to set up like we did away at MK. We pressed and set our stool out early that day.

I don't think any of us want a repeat of Huddersfield away, and play for a draw. Also Brighton away, many of us 100% cannot handle an away day like that on the old tickers.

We all know Sunderland fans get on the teams back, so an early goal is crucial.

Our best form of defence is to attack. I actually trust Moore to go there and set us up to attack. I cannot see him doing a Carlos away at Huddersfield at all.

To be honest, I feared the worst that day so I also set my stool out early……

• Haha 3