Tactics for First Leg

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Been looking at their results at home recently. Funnily enough they’ve needed late goals in quite a lot of games. 

Rotherham 1-1

Needed an 88th minute OG to salvage a point.

Cambridge 5-1

Comprehensive win for Sunderland. But pretty much the only one under Neil. 

Shrewsbury 3-2

2-0 up and threw away a 2 goal lead. Before nicking a 92nd minute winner. 

1-0 Gillingham 

Again, needed a 95th minute winner. 

Crewe 2-0

Only took the lead in the 84th minute.

Fleetwood 3-1

Yet again didn’t take a lead until the 82nd minute. 

Burton 1-1

Needed a 93rd minute equaliser. 

MK 1-2

Lost to a fellow play off rival. 

So since Neil has taken over they have needed late goals in 6 of his 8 games. Only convincingly beating Cambridge. Not as impressive results wise as it’s appeared. 

And Cambridge only had 10 men..

12 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

What we all thinking and how do we all want the team to set up?

Personally, I would like us to set up like we did away at MK. We pressed and set our stool out early that day.

I don't think any of us want a repeat of Huddersfield away, and play for a draw. Also Brighton away, many of us 100% cannot handle an away day like that on the old tickers.

We all know Sunderland fans get on the teams back, so an early goal is crucial.

Our best form of defence is to attack. I actually trust Moore to go there and set us up to attack. I cannot see him doing a Carlos away at Huddersfield at all.

You want them to 5h1t on the pitch?!! Disgusting!!! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

What we all thinking and how do we all want the team to set up?

Personally, I would like us to set up like we did away at MK. We pressed and set our stool out early that day.

I don't think any of us want a repeat of Huddersfield away, and play for a draw. Also Brighton away, many of us 100% cannot handle an away day like that on the old tickers.

We all know Sunderland fans get on the teams back, so an early goal is crucial.

Our best form of defence is to attack. I actually trust Moore to go there and set us up to attack. I cannot see him doing a Carlos away at Huddersfield at all.

I'm thinking maybe a few here

500.jpg

Go for the win, it's Sunderland not Real Madrid. They've finished below us in the table, it doesn't lie after 46 games. They've needed so many late goals in the last month and Nathan Broadhead went off injured in their last match. Imagine the home support if we get an early goal, they're toxic at the stadium of light and if we can get their fans turning as early as possible that can only benefit us. All the team picks itself apart from Palmer/Dean depending on Dean's fitness. BPF, Hutch, Storey, Hunt, Johnson, Byers, Bannan, Luongo, Berahino, Gregory. Then one of Palmer/Dean. Get at them from the off like at MK, simple as that

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Go for the win, it's Sunderland not Real Madrid. They've finished below us in the table, it doesn't lie after 46 games. They've needed so many late goals in the last month and Nathan Broadhead went off injured in their last match. Imagine the home support if we get an early goal, they're toxic at the stadium of light and if we can get their fans turning as early as possible that can only benefit us. All the team picks itself apart from Palmer/Dean depending on Dean's fitness. BPF, Hutch, Storey, Hunt, Johnson, Byers, Bannan, Luongo, Berahino, Gregory. Then one of Palmer/Dean. Get at them from the off like at MK, simple as that

Agree, need to adopt same tactics when playing MK Dons and attack from the off.

• Like 1

We pretty much adopted liverpools tactics against mk dons and it worked a treat.  How often do you see liverpool score then score again within a short space of time?.  If we do score first or get in front on Friday I would love to see us go for the jugular and kill the tie.

Wishful thinking and by no means am I saying we play like liverpool. 

As someone else said on here, watch the hudds first leg and do the opposite. I would be gutted if we played really well and settled for a draw. No more missed opportunities please Wednesday! 

21 hours ago, MallorcaOwl said:

It's not the tactics that worries me, it is the line up. I can see DM resting Bannan, Loungo, and Gregory. Giving the advantage to Sunderland. I hope I am wrong, buy at times DM over thinks things.

Seriously? I mean, no, really, seriously, you can see him resting Baz Luongo and Gregory?

Are you drunk? High? Trolling? or just messed up?

My god. This forum at times. I really want to go on an epic rant right now, but words are just failing me.

WTF 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paulqx owl said:

If Alex Neil has any sense he will attack down the left at our weakest point jack hunt who sadly doesn't have the legs nowadays as was shown for Portsmouths goal

Teams have been doing this all season, I'm pretty sure that Jordan Storey covering has saved Jack's career.

58 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Seriously? I mean, no, really, seriously, you can see him resting Baz Luongo and Gregory?

Are you drunk? High? Trolling? or just messed up?

My god. This forum at times. I really want to go on an epic rant right now, but words are just failing me.

WTF 

You ask if I am drunk or high, at least I can construct a sentence. If you read my post again I didn't say DM would do that. I was hypothersising for arguments sake. It is what you can do on forums to stimulate debate.

4 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

You ask if I am drunk or high, at least I can construct a sentence. If you read my post again I didn't say DM would do that. I was hypothersising for arguments sake. It is what you can do on forums to stimulate debate.

No, your exact words were;

"It's not the tactics that worries me, it is the line up. I can see DM resting Bannan, Loungo, and Gregory. Giving the advantage to Sunderland. I hope I am wrong, buy at times DM over thinks things."

And I have to admit, you structured your sentences fabulously. Grammar, spelling, all of it was spot on. A+.

Thank You for your kind words🤣 The phrase "i can see" is a thought, ie I can see gregory scoring a hatrick at Wembley. Doesn't mean it will happen but it might. DM might well rest the players I mentioned, not that he will. But it is all good stuff for arguments sake.