NML as striker

It almost worked today. He should have put that chance away then the conversation would have been different. His pace does cause problems away from home and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team start next week

3 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

It almost worked today. He should have put that chance away then the conversation would have been different

Unfortunately,  and I think this is the point, he's not a finisher. He's very wasteful in front of goal.

Play him instead of Hunt, bring him on late for Hunt but start Berahino.

• Like 3

Paterson and Berihino have both scored goals when they’ve started matches recently which makes his decision to play a winger up front with those 2 on the bench even more baffling.

We missed so many chances today (NML missed a sitter in the first half) and I can’t help but think that you put two strikers on the pitch from the start and we leave today with 3 points.

For me the blame for us dropping points today lies solely with Darren Moore and his bizarre choice of forward line given the options he had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its been the same all season, with lots of injuries the team picks it self, when Moore has options he normally gets it wrong.

Hunt is not a winger but NML is, Iorfa should have started with Hutch being rested, Berahino should have been up front.

We had 21 shot but could only get 5 on target that is very poor. You dont need top corners or spectacular goals in league one, more often than not a shot on target has a 50:50 chance of scoring.

we missed a big chance today, a win we are 8 behind Mk Dons with a game in hand and still to play them. Instead we are in the playoffs on goal difference.

NML is great on the wing, play him there or leave him on the bench and bring him on for Hunt or Johnson as they tire. Personally I think he is a better player than Hunt on the right.

NML just isn't a striker, he tries but he drifts wide closing down space needed by Hunt or Johnson and that leaves us with 1 up top.  Berahino is a bit hot or cold but he's a better option than NML.

• Like 2

Crystal ball and all that. 
He’s unlucky with the first chance as his standing foot gives way and he kicks onto it. 
However that should be top Corner. 
Berahino should start. 
He got the lad firing then left him out. 
Bit baffling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

Looked a different player when he moved out wide last week against Wimbledon.

Waste of a shirt upfront, goes missing because he’s positionally clueless. May aswell play with 10 and Gregory on his own. How Berahino isn’t getting game with Gregory after scoring a hat trick and us hitting 6 is baffling. 

Baffling ?   Unfortunately, Moore can be arrogant and stubborn in refusing to make obvious changes

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

You are definitely becoming a bit draining

Some of your content used to be quite interesting but now you just latch on to whatever suits your argument in the moment

Mins per goal

Appearances

Partnerships 

Form

Just be a bit more authentic because IMO you are actually one of the better posters

To be honest whether we are still in League 1 next season, it is quite worrying that DM still sees NML as  striker. That is a concern and it would be a tragedy if we missed out due to DM putting square pegs in round holes. There is absolutely no need for it especially when there is Paterson and Berinho who can both play that role a damn site better than NML. 

Just now, Musttryharder said:

To be honest whether we are still in League 1 next season, it is quite worrying that DM still sees NML as  striker. That is a concern and it would be a tragedy if we missed out due to DM putting square pegs in round holes. There is absolutely no need for it especially when there is Paterson and Berinho who can both play that role a damn site better than NML. 

I don’t think he seems him as a striker any more than he saw Johnson as a LCB

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

It almost worked today. He should have put that chance away then the conversation would have been different. His pace does cause problems away from home and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team start next week

It never looked like working with ML up top...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

If Moore has decided our best partner for Gregory is NML we play in League 1 next season.

Simple as that. 

And, it looks like he has decided that.

Hard to disagree

Moore with options is dangerous 

Forcing favoured players into any position just to get them on the park 

He’ll never be a striker while I’ve got a hole in me arse 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

Looked a different player when he moved out wide last week against Wimbledon.

Waste of a shirt upfront, goes missing because he’s positionally clueless. May aswell play with 10 and Gregory on his own. How Berahino isn’t getting game with Gregory after scoring a hat trick and us hitting 6 is baffling. 

spot on

I agree that NML is no striker and it seems DM is trying to shoehorn him into the team. Having said all that, most professional footballers would have scored those two chances, the first one especially. That miss was unbelievable and is up there with that Andy Booth miss against Stoke all those years ago.