NML as striker

18 minutes ago, deano said:

Berahino hasn't started a game since he scored a hat-trick.

Then play NML upfront who isn't a finisher and hasn't really showed promise in this position. 

We then drop points because we don't take our chances, with NML completely fluffing his lines. 

Moore has done well recently but I sometimes find his tactics baffling.

He started the next game, which we drew against Accrington.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He started the next game, which we drew against Accrington.

Thanks, I should of checked before posting.

Point stands however, Berahino will be more efficient in front of goal. 

I do like NML but not as a central striker. 

25 minutes ago, deano said:

Thanks, I should of checked before posting.

Point stands however, Berahino will be more efficient in front of goal. 

I do like NML but not as a central striker. 

Yeah, he's clearly the more natural finisher.

But I think Moore played Mendez-Laing yesterday in order to use his pace and power to push their defence backwards, latch onto through balls, and create space between their midfield and defence for the likes of Bannan to exploit.

And but for some wayward finishing, it worked.

If Berahino had been presented with the same chance as Mendez-Laing, he'd have been more likely to score, but the chances may not have been created in the same way, due to Mendez-Laing's absence.

I've no issue with us using NML's pace to push them back.

However , IMO , that is far more effective when coming from deep and getting a head of steam up. Whether that be from the flank or even from a slightly deeper attacking midfield position. 

In a game where you expect, and do, dominate the ball it's more important to have a striker who's comfortable in those tight pockets around the box. Someone who can buy half a yard and crack an accurate shot away. 

• Like 1

IMO we can't play without Hunt & Johnson and this is the problem for Moore with NML.

We need their up & down the line energy so NML is played as a striker just to get him on the field.

The only way he can do it is to drop Byers & go 3-4-3 with NML/Gregory/Berahino as an attacking 3.

22 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I've no issue with us using NML's pace to push them back.

However , IMO , that is far more effective when coming from deep and getting a head of steam up. Whether that be from the flank or even from a slightly deeper attacking midfield position. 

In a game where you expect, and do, dominate the ball it's more important to have a striker who's comfortable in those tight pockets around the box. Someone who can buy half a yard and crack an accurate shot away. 

Like who?

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Like who?

Buy half a yard and crack  shot away?

We have one striker...who scores 90% of his goals like that

● In a congested box it was Saido Berahino who deftly moved the ball away from his man  to create enough space to swivel a left footed shot into the roof of the net past the groping hand of Mitchell

● Marvin Johnson was creator with a run down the left flank and his cross was volleyed home in consumate style by Berahino, who showed terrific technique to get over the ball despite the close attentions of his marker.

●Berahino made it 3-0 in the 37th minute  when he sharply turned his marker with his back to goal in the 18 yard box and fired past Dimitar Mitov got a hand to but could not keep out.

●Four minutes before the break, Berahino scored again, showing razor sharp striking instinct in turning in the loose ball from close range after Gregory's effort had been saved.

●A reverse pass found Berahino, who looked to have nothing on but shuffled the ball quickly bamboozling his marker with a smart turn to once more fire past Mitov again.

----------------------

Of course, that's not to say he makes the best partner for Gregory. 

He has operated his best, IMO,  alongside big Paterson and the maligned (and perpetually offside) Kamberi. 

Either way. For my money. NML isn't neither the goal threat of Berahino or the effective partner (Pato/Flo)  needed by Gregory.

I also think playing higher actually negates NMLS pace anyway as he's in tighter areas.

With a head of steam from the wing or a deep cam position he'd cause   and has caused havoc for the opposition. 

But, hey ho,  I don't pick the team. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Buy half a yard and crack  shot away?

We have one striker...who scores 90% of his goals like that

● In a congested box it was Saido Berahino who deftly moved the ball away from his man  to create enough space to swivel a left footed shot into the roof of the net past the groping hand of Mitchell

● Marvin Johnson was creator with a run down the left flank and his cross was volleyed home in consumate style by Berahino, who showed terrific technique to get over the ball despite the close attentions of his marker.

●Berahino made it 3-0 in the 37th minute  when he sharply turned his marker with his back to goal in the 18 yard box and fired past Dimitar Mitov got a hand to but could not keep out.

●Four minutes before the break, Berahino scored again, showing razor sharp striking instinct in turning in the loose ball from close range after Gregory's effort had been saved.

●A reverse pass found Berahino, who looked to have nothing on but shuffled the ball quickly bamboozling his marker with a smart turn to once more fire past Mitov again.

----------------------

Of course, that's not to say he makes the best partner for Gregory. 

He has operated his best, IMO,  alongside big Paterson and the maligned (and perpetually offside) Kamberi. 

Either way. For my money. NML isn't neither the goal threat of Berahino or the effective partner (Pato/Flo)  needed by Gregory.

I also think playing higher actually negates NMLS pace anyway as he's in tighter areas.

With a head of steam from the wing or a deep cam position he'd cause   and has caused havoc for the opposition. 

But, hey ho,  I don't pick the team. 

I agree, Berahino's by far the most likely of our available options to score that kind of goal.

He was on the pitch for 38% of the game yesterday and failed to do so, however.

Maybe it just wasn't his kind of game?

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I agree, Berahino's by far the most likely of our available options to score that kind of goal.

He was on the pitch for 38% of the game yesterday and failed to do so, however.

Maybe it just wasn't his kind of game?

I'd have fancied him to have put the one away on the first half that, well, I'm not sure what NML did really. But it wasn't the action of a natural striker let's put it that way.

2 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

IMO we can't play without Hunt & Johnson and this is the problem for Moore with NML.

We need their up & down the line energy so NML is played as a striker just to get him on the field.

The only way he can do it is to drop Byers & go 3-4-3 with NML/Gregory/Berahino as an attacking 3.

If so, he’s plain wrong.

NML, Johnson and Hunt are fine WBs and should stay there.

We are very lucky to have 3 such strong players for two roles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd have fancied him to have put the one away on the first half that, well, I'm not sure what NML did really. But it wasn't the action of a natural striker let's put it that way.

Would he have been in that position to start with, though?

That's the unknown whenever we have these discussions, isn't it?

Just because one player ended up with a chance, doesn't mean the alternative option would have as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Would he have been in that position to start with, though?

That's the unknown whenever we have these discussions, isn't it?

Just because one player ended up with a chance, doesn't mean the alternative option would have as well.

Your quite right.

He may well have been in an even better position.

Similar thing, bringing patto on near the end into midfield WHYYYYY. Yes he'll run around, but he's like a dog after a bone, he doesn't sense danger and hold position, his passing and touch is hit and miss most of the time. Why not bring Palmer on or bash who is a midfielder.

It's like he's got this guilty feeling where he has to give people mins.