What rule would you change or remove in football.

when you watch football there is a narrow band of pitch between the two back lines.  you see a player beat someone with a bit of skill and then there is someone there behind straight away.  when you can be offside 45yards from goal, or be offside because your elbow was in front of you, does that make it any more watchable?

if there was no offside, the play would be more open, allowing skillful players to play the game, rather than the back four trying to step up and continuously raise an arm trying to catch someone out.

i would concede to having the 18 yard line extended and having offside only past that line, otherwise, get rid.

Change handball back to only being an offence if in the opinion of the referee it is deliberate.   I don’t care if it hits a defender’s arm on the goal line if he has no idea about it.  Similarly if a ball bounces up and hits a striker on the hand before he scores, as long as he doesn’t deliberately do it, I don’t care.

Any talk of ‘un-natural positions’ to be a hanging offence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I'd change the promotion/relegation places to 5 in every division whilst scrapping the playoffs. It would give more clubs the chance to reach the Premier League, and would also allow money to flow more quickly through the football league.

I could go for this.

I'd also scrap parachute payments at the same time and find some better way to redistribute the wealth to try and level the playing field a bit more.

If the 'super six' our whatever they branded themselves don't like it and want to leave, then let them.

• Like 3

Independent time keeper and the clock stops when the ball is out of play. You could have 30 minute halfs and we'd still see more football actually being played. Would cut out all the time wasting dark arts crap and subjectivity over injury time 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

For me, i'd scrap the offside rule.  it's the most contentious in football.  it would open up play, and let skillful players thrive.

Not scrap it but try to simplify it. VAR probably hasn't helped with players being cms offside. 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Keep VAR for goal line technology and bin it for everything else. It’s an absolute farce. 

If you are going to have VAR to me the people in the studio should only have 1 look at a reply and if no clear and obvious mistake by the on field officials you stick with his decision. 
Holding the game up for 3 or 4 mins (Which is a long time to hold up a game) to decide if someone if offside by a shoulder or an arm is not in the spirit of the game and kills the flow. 
But with the amount of money in the game will only take one wrong decision by millimetres and wouldnt put it past some clubs to seek legal advice.

Make blatant cheating (diving for a penalty, attempting to get other players sent off by going down and feigning injury) a mandatory red card, 2 weeks wages fine,  and 3 game ban - if proven, the danger with this is that a ref could wrongly adjudge an actual foul to be a dive so it'd probably need to be decided by VAR in live games but unless it's completely blatant it'd need retrospective video evidence to be used in lower league games.

Make shithousing keepers take goal kicks from the nearest spot in the goal area to where they pick it up, instead of ambling to the other side every time.

Keepers who comfortably gather an easy ball and then sink down onto their front laying on the ball should be smeared with jam and a wasps nest installed in their goal.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, neo hippy said:

Independent time keeper and the clock stops when the ball is out of play. You could have 30 minute halfs and we'd still see more football actually being played. Would cut out all the time wasting dark arts crap and subjectivity over injury time 

This, maybe 40 min halves like rugby though.

The one that wee wees me of now is players have realised if the trainer comes on they have to go off the pitch, so now they go down wait for the ref to come over and ask if they need the trainer, say no but then take 2 mins to get up with the game stopped and the ref stood there to make sure they are alright.  The ref should quickly ask if they need the trainer and if the answer is no then immediately restart the game whether they are on the deck or not.

Time wasting! I drive hours to watch Wednesday and then half the game is spent with the other team killing time on goal kicks, throw ins and feigning injury. Just have to clock stop when the ball is dead even if we only play for 80 mins. 

Retrospective bans for diving and faking injury would also be good.