What rule would you change or remove in football.

Scrap sodding parachute payments and change it to something where player's wages get automatically reduced upon relegation.

Stops rewarding teams for failure and effectively having a closed shop at the top of the Championship/bottom of the PL.

Probably haven't thought it through but would make me feel better.

Can you still get booked for taking your shirt off?  That needs to go.  

Same for jumping into the crowd.  In fact, more ostentatious celebrations need encouraging just for the crushing disappointment when VAR rules the goal out.

A general clampdown on time wasting. As said earlier, the 60 minutes in play would work, but I'd want to see that 60 minutes is the right length of time first, don't want to still feel short changed. The problem with this is the fifa rules that theoretically have to be in place throughout the pyramid. I know not all rules follow this but it'd be quite a difference to see this in different leagues. 6 second rule back for keepers but make it 8 seconds maybe? And get rid of the stupid rule that says keepers can take kicks from either side, I said when that came in that the only benefit of that would be for time wasters and we see it every match. 

I'd have 4 linos and 2 refs. Let's start helping the officials to make better decisions and make it harder for cheating players. The game is too fast now for 1 man in the middle. Have em as a team and start to bring in rules around respecting their decisions and dissent. Clean up football a bit. 

• Like 1

Guest Giant Hogweed
17 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Yeah watching cloggers ruling the roost was class. Id rather watch skilful players shine and watch a game played by athletes with higher levels of fitness. Nostalgia aint anything...

And you keep your idea of what makes someone "soft". You sound a proper lad but seem easily triggered here.

What makes you think that? 

Bit judgemental based on the fact that I preferred football when it was a contact sport not played by soft two hats wearing Alice bands and man buns?🤔

8 minutes ago, Giant Hogweed said:

What makes you think that? 

Bit judgemental based on the fact that I preferred football when it was a contact sport not played by soft two hats wearing Alice bands and man buns?🤔

Getting wound up about gloves or haircuts from different eras is easily triggered.

Does it really make a difference

Got a bit of bingo in your second post here as well. 

And cutting out hatchet men and wild tackles doesnt make it non contact. It improves it.

• Like 1

Guest Giant Hogweed
3 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Getting wound up about gloves or haircuts from different eras is easily triggered.

Does it really make a difference

Got a bit of bingo in your second post here as well. 

And cutting out hatchet men and wild tackles doesnt make it non contact. It improves it.

Alright if you say so

On 23/03/2022 at 20:56, torryowl said:

i'd bring back the 6 second rule for how long the keeper can have hold of the ball .

10 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

6 second rule back for keepers but make it 8 seconds maybe?

Bring it back? It never went away, it's still a law of the game, but refs (and keepers obviously) blatantly ignore it. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

How would the idea of Refs awarding penalty goals lead to “refs arbitrarily awarding goals”?

I’m suggesting that instead of awarding a penalty (or free kick) AND sending off a player, just award the goal that was denied through foul play.

The vast majority of pens are given for stopping potential goals - very, very few are for stopping certain goals (handball on the line)

So if we're deciding that stopping a goal scoring opportunity is equitable with scoring a certain goal then it's very arbitrary

1 hour ago, scram said:

The vast majority of pens are given for stopping potential goals - very, very few are for stopping certain goals (handball on the line)

So if we're deciding that stopping a goal scoring opportunity is equitable with scoring a certain goal then it's very arbitrary

That’s not what I’m suggesting.

I’m not sure of the precise wording in the rules, but I think it goes something like…

…if a player commits a foul / handball that prevents a clear goal scoring opportunity* then the referee shall, in addition to awarding a penalty / free kick, give the player a red card.

*The precise wording might be “near certain goal”. I don’t know. It’s irrelevant to what I’m suggesting.

What I’m suggesting is that where, currently, the ref would issue a red card consistent with the above, existing, rule, then he should issue a goal instead of the penalty / free kick (and don’t issue the red card either). 

If an incident would not, currently, lead to a red card, then I’m not proposing any change. Award a penalty as now.

Whatever the exact wording is in the rules today, the only change I would make is to the nature of the punishment, not the definition of the offence. This would be to ensure that the wronged team gets, 100% of the time, a just outcome, but also that the punishment isn’t excessive**.  So, if what I’m proposing leads to arbitrary decisions to award goals, then that’s because of the arbitrary nature of what is currently happening with the issuing of red cards. Personally, I don’t think either scenario is “arbitrary”, but like many areas of football it is down to the referee’s interpretation of a situation.

** Two examples.

Pressman sent off after 13 seconds. Was it really fair that Wednesday played over 89 minutes with ten men? Was it fair that Wolves missed out on an early lead due to Pressman “cheating”: the free kick came to naught? Just award Wolves a penalty goal and continue to play 11 v 11.

Uruguay v Ghana (?) knock out stages of World Cup. Last minute of extra time, scores level. Corner to Ghana, keeper nowhere, header to the top corner and Suarez tips it over the bar. Penalty and sending off. Ghana miss the penalty. 10 man Uruguay hold out for the final 30 seconds for a draw. Uruguay win the penalty shoot out. Fair outcome? Just issue a penalty goal.

Refs don't give reds just for denying a goalscoring opportunity now

There has to be no intent to play the ball

So whats deemed a mistimed genuine tackle is now a penalty and a yellow card (in the area of course)

But that aside i can't agree that goals should be awarded instead of penalties - to assume every goalscoring opportunity would otherwise result in a goal is just not right

I've seen top class players miss absolute sitters time and again

For me, unless the ball goes in the goal then its not a goal

• Like 1

Not a rule change as such. However, I would like to see referees scored by managers/coaches across top 6 tiers of football. Ending the status of traditional elite managers.

160 Managers would be marking referees and it would be they who determined the top averages, thus ending the sense of privilege replaced by their dedication.

Also referees should be tied to a club in a liaison role fostering mutual understanding.