Just don't care anymore

Guest Grandad

11 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

My point is that the chairman can only do so much. 

He has backed Darren Moore. He has enabled him to put together a group of players that the majority of this league could not afford.

Most of our fans were delighted with the standard of player we signed.

Just judging this season alone, the problems are coming from the coaching team rather than the boardroom and I do realise that in the past it has been the other way around.

I’m finding it hard to point any finger at Chansiri this season. Yes he’s the reason we’re in League One and our relegation is all on him. 

But he did back the manager in the summer. With some good players for this level. Question marks this season for me is all about the manager and his selections/formations. 

Moore has the tools - maybe he’s not getting the most out of them OR it requires a little more patience to get right. 

• Like 2

It's a sentiment indicator for sure.  I wonder what most fans see as our rightful level, cos almost everyone wanted Carlos out, anyone still supporting him after our second playoff attempt was well and truly castrated by the majority.  So is the goal to be more like maybe Everton?  Lower-mid table Prem? 

Got fond memories being a teenager, getting served underage at the old blue ball, and beating Man U to a sell out crowd.  Whatever, bring on Accrington Stanley 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We win the next 5 in a row. Posts like this don’t appear.

The passion comes back when we start winning.

We won’t win 5 in a row at all this season, let alone the next 5. Not under this manager I’m afraid. Get a decent manager in and optimism can quickly return.

DM is out of his depth. Still hoping for a win tomorrow but more in hope than expectation now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m finding it hard to point any finger at Chansiri this season. Yes he’s the reason we’re in League One and our relegation is all on him. 

But he did back the manager in the summer. With some good players for this level. Question marks this season for me is all about the manager and his selections/formations. 

Moore has the tools - maybe he’s not getting the most out of them OR it requires a little more patience to get right. 

That is also how I feel too. He has done nothing wrong from pre season onwards. He has given the manager the tools to sign 14 players. Some of which I was surprised at their pedigree, I think we all were. He also got Windass, Iorfa and Bannan re-signed.

Like the rest of us the chairman is being let down by the negative football the manager is playing. Unlike the rest of us, he can do something about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Chansiri employs the managers at the club

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I'm all for patience, I want Moore to succeed. But like a few in this thread have said, there are certain things he is doing that makes patience wear thin.

Yes we had a complete rebuild in the summer, though if you look at the amount of signings made by every club in League One, the majority also signed and released similar numbers to us so we are far from alone in that respect.

I think most fans were on board with giving the team time to gel, the problem is we have moved away from what looked like a gameplan we could develop and are changing system and players far too often and putting too many square pegs in round holes. The chance of the team gelling in that respect becomes significantly smaller and the frustration grows when it doesn't work game after game.   

I agree to some extent with the OP, but I do still look forward to watch us play and keep up with info every day.

I do every so often get thinking what is the point of all of this? So we can get to the Premier League one day and probably go straight back down? Then repeat the cycle of the past 20 years? I want a club that I can be proud of, that gets me excited when we play (I'm not bothered about style of play, more I want players who are committed and a distinct style), that develops exciting youth players, pushes into other areas (community, women's football, eSports etc) and generally has a really exciting vibe to it.

Weirdly I think we have probably done more in other areas this past year or so than we have before. The social media aspect is loads better, we are getting youth out on loan and into the first team. But we also make fundamental errors like not signing up talented youth (Shaw & Uroghide) and the whole season ticket refund debacle. We just seem to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over again.

I'm still of the belief that if we had a proper business structure in place with a professional CEO at the helm and Chansiri purely funding it we could make massive strides. The potential is still there, look at the playoff final and how many fans were there. My brother in law took my niece to a women's football game at the Lane recently as it's more family friendly. Where are we in supporting our women's team and tapping into that? The money might not be huge at the start but it's more than we would be making not doing anything, and the women's game is growing fast.

We just still seem to be stuck about 20 years behind everyone else. I include the fan base in that. Mention women's football or eSports to someone on the terrace and it'll be met with laughter, yet this is what is happening on the frontline of football now that brings in revenue that supports the whole club.

TL;DR - Get a decent CEO in and take a step back Dejphon FFS.

• Like 5

I’m pretty relaxed in some senses about this season. I thought we’d be out of business after the end of last season so I suppose the fact we aren’t is a bonus. The chairman is what it is. A complete shîtshow but it been going on for so long I’m pretty much numb about it all now. 
What annoys me on a week by week basis is how horrible the football is to watch. If it was a bit more enjoyable I’d be cheered up a bit. As it is I dread Saturdays now. 

Honestly wouldn’t it make all the difference if:

1) fans could see what the style of play is

2) fans could understand the tactics

3) fans knew our best starting eleven 

4) players were played in their natural position 

5) we just stopped conceding late goals

6) the set piece takers were more effective 

7) we didn’t change starting lineup every game

8 - Darren Moore was more open and honest in interviews and stopped the politicians answers 

Now look again at that list and what I’m asking for here 

Those 8 things alone cost nothing, are easily sorted and even more alarmingly should be simply basics at any struggling football club to try and get back on track 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well If it IS true that we are spaffing way more thousands on player wages than the other clubs and this is what we are being served up, then isn’t that even WORSE??

Wouldnt that be classed as the same kind of ridiculous spending and chairman governance that landed us in this division in the first place?

Good point Neil, but just imagine what would have happened on here if DM had been forced to work with academy kids and L2 cast offs. 

As has been said, DC got us in this mess, but I think he is trying to get us out of it when you look at the playing budget. 

Sadly, he seems to have chosen a nice but ineffective manager. We were mostly pleased with the appointment, but unless there is a fairly immediate improvement, we and DC can definitely look forward to another season in this league. Or, he goes against his instincts and fires the nice man

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Football is a fickle old game really. I agree with the comment above we are only one decent manager away from being able to get promoted at the first attempt.

If that manager then did a Wilder and got us into the prem I wonder if all the past would be dragged up then with regards to the chairman's errors.

Yeah and all it would take for me to be happy and not moan about the past is to win the lottery and bag a supermodel Mrs!

All this 'if we won 5 games in a row' or 'if we got promoted to the PL people wouldn't moan' nonsense is pie in the sky stuff. The chances of us winning 5 in a row or getting to the premier league in the next decade are minuscule!

When you consider what it would take to get a Wilder in and then give him the tools to get us to the PL. We lack key infrastructure, our commercial offering is weak, our youth set up to promote players we can sell to reinvest or play for the first team is dour, our training facilities are dated, we don't own our ground, our match day offering is shocking value, our decision making team 'directors' or advisors are failures and our owner hasn't got a clue about business or football. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Devonstrix said:

Good point Neil, but just imagine what would have happened on here if DM had been forced to work with academy kids and L2 cast offs. 

As has been said, DC got us in this mess, but I think he is trying to get us out of it when you look at the playing budget. 

Sadly, he seems to have chosen a nice but ineffective manager. We were mostly pleased with the appointment, but unless there is a fairly immediate improvement, we and DC can definitely look forward to another season in this league. Or, he goes against his instincts and fires the nice man

Unless of course the real true strategy is a two or three year plan to rebuild in this division and then have a proper go at it when restrictions on the club are lifted 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Moore needs to show more tactical knowledge

he needs to play to our strengths and not worry about the opposition 

id rather lose 5-4 knowing we went out to win than draw 1-1 after defending for 80 mins 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Unless of course the real true strategy is a two or three year plan to rebuild in this division and then have a proper go at it when restrictions on the club are lifted 

Do you think that's the case?

I don't think so. We could have sold Bannan on the cheap to get the wage bill down quicker and made more modest signings than the ones we did. Players like Wing, Hunt, Shodipo, Gregory are likely to be on above average wages at this level. As Gregory and others have said, we are not aiming to tread water this season. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I thought this would have been the likely route we were going for this season and the next couple of years and properly ‘reset’ after the failings and letdowns of recent seasons. But then how many are willing to go with this idea?

You just have to dig in, its all about faith and luck,  one day we will be one of the most powerful in the land and guess what? Fans will still want more and find fault, the fans appetite for "success" is insatiably.

You only have to go fans forums of the top placed Premier clubs, you will find the same attitude as on here the players aren't interested, the owner needs to do more the manager needs to go. 

Just enjoy the day for what it is, meeting your mates for a few drinks, catching up with people sat around you.  Having a chat with the away fans, and sometimes you get a cracking game.

• Thanks 2