Just don't care anymore

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad

I genuinely never thought I'd see the day. But after all the years of obsession and dedication to the club, the battles I've fought with the likes of Allen and Walker over their horrendous mismanagement of the club and treatment of fans, this Chairman has finished me. 

The club is dead. It's now so much further back than the empty shell of a club Milan inherited. And still sinking 

The football is horrendous and has been for years (bar Carlos). The atmosphere has gone, the lone drummer at the back of the Kop symbolic. Fans circulate at the ground in a wake-like existence. Nobody remembers why they go any more. 

The club is dead and was killed by Chansiri. The last thing we all had left, that carried us through all of the horrendous 20 post Prem years, was hope. 

Once Chansiri killed that we were done. They might as well lock the gates

I enjoyed the struggles of the noughties more than I have enjoyed the Chansiri era. There was always the hope that one day we'd finally have some money to spend - and for two seasons that happened and it was fun - but in typical Wednesday style we got a chairman with deep pockets and the outcome? League One, renting our own stadium, a terrible club badge and all hope finally extinguished.

Only habit keeps me going.

• Like 7

It is a difficult time to be a fan.

Last season was our worst ever in my opinion. 6 managers, finished bottom of the league,

fans not allowed in to see games and chaos off the field.  It could not have been any worse.  

The danger of course is that you then think this season can only be much, much better. It cannot get worse. It was very exciting thinking about being back in the stadium, with a new team and hopefully a stronger financial position. 

Of course so far it has been much better, but it has been below very high expectations we all had. So I feel similar to @Grandad. However, I have done a deal with my mind to stay positive this season despite it probably being a bit of a damp squib. Having seen us down in this league a couple of times before , I know this first season down can be a tough one. But I also know that promotion from this league is as good a footballing experience as there is for a club like ours and I know that will come . 

it does feel like we need that one big win, or that comeback to win, to really kick off this season . 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jack the Hat

As bad as Chansiri is he has still pumped a lot of money into the club. We have been in worse positions than this. I think both Allen and Mghee were worse. Even Richards left us in the brown stuff. He's not going anywhere so our current problem is the inept manager. A decent manager would get us into the playoffs. A trip to Wembley in the summer would lift the blues. Come on Chansiri, pull the trigger. MM was  a good chairman but wouldn't spend any money, whereas DC is poor but will spend. If MM had stayed on as an advisor would have been great. We were close on a couple of occasions, but the manager you mention bottled it. That wasn't DC's fault.

I definitely feel like that too, going for the sake of it as it's like going to work, rather than wanting to.

Feels like majority of fans in same boat here.

Risky for the club to let this fester, our biggest strength is our fan base, start losing them and we really will drop into the abyss. Moore Out!! (If this continues much longer)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

As bad as Chansiri is he has still pumped a lot of money into the club. We have been in worse positions than this. I think both Allen and Mghee were worse. Even Richards left us in the brown stuff. He's not going anywhere so our current problem is the inept manager. A decent manager would get us into the playoffs. A trip to Wembley in the summer would lift the blues. Come on Chansiri, pull the trigger. MM was  a good chairman but wouldn't spend any money, whereas DC is poor but will spend. If MM had stayed on as an advisor would have been great. We were close on a couple of occasions, but the manager you mention bottled it. That wasn't DC's fault.

Agreed. He has made so many mistakes but this season we were all very optimistic when we signed the players we did. 

That was backing from the chairman. Unreal backing really for a League 1 club.

There is one issue at the moment and one issue alone - our tactics. That is not the bloody chairman fault.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I genuinely never thought I'd see the day. But after all the years of obsession and dedication to the club, the battles I've fought with the likes of Allen and Walker over their horrendous mismanagement of the club and treatment of fans, this Chairman has finished me. 

The club is dead. It's now so much further back than the empty shell of a club Milan inherited. And still sinking 

The football is horrendous and has been for years (bar Carlos). The atmosphere has gone, the lone drummer at the back of the Kop symbolic. Fans circulate at the ground in a wake-like existence. Nobody remembers why they go any more. 

The club is dead and was killed by Chansiri. The last thing we all had left, that carried us through all of the horrendous 20 post Prem years, was hope. 

Once Chansiri killed that we were done. They might as well lock the gates

I noticed you hadn't been active much on Owlstalk of late. 

The club still has a pulse, but we've had our life support machine made by D-Taxis in the hopes of a resurrection.  We have a facade of an old traditional club, however nothing lies behind it.  The beautiful traditions have all but gone, the replacement is a modernity that is dull and rule-breaking, and frighteningly incompetent and distant.

I detest what Chansiri has done to this club.  I hate to think that he'll be here after I'm gone, and I still can't believe he has support.  

I read this forum and think we are here because we accept it.  I've seen posts saying League One is a difficult and challenging division, we're getting in the excuses of mediocrity early because we know we are going to fail in the third tier of English football.  We accept the low standards on the field, we accept it off the field, ergo, there's no incentive, drive or passion to drive forward.

It's pretty obvious Chansiri won't leave anytime soon. He is now a silent partner.  He's ruined an already weakened club.  I can't believe we have a future with him at the helm.  

This is supposed to be a competition, but we've already thrown in the towel.  We accept it, we accept everything thrown our way and nothing changes.

1-1 at Cheltenham.  At least we got a result will be the response.  We've given up on the game, and we accept that we've give up.

• Like 8

Really sad that a club of our history and stature finds itself in this position. Traditionally we've always had a fantastic fan base and its a real tragedy what is happening to a club we've always held dear. Sincerely hope that we can turn the corner and give the fans something back. 

• Like 1

I have a similar outlook to Nigel. It's quite depressing in some respects.

I've been through many emotions on this matter over the last 20 years or so, which was summarised yesterday when I finally received my membership card, nearly a third of the season in. I laughed when I opened it and thought of the staff who quietly put it into the envelope with the fixture list, which doesn't have the Sunderland home game shown. Like us all, they just go the motions; no aspiration, no standards and like the Sunderland game, quietly being wiped off the map.

I think many thought the DC era would be a fast-track to the PL and then he would sell on. I think we all would have accepted this. Unfortunately in our unique way, we've gone significantly backwards in 5 yrs and are stuck with a guy who doesn't want us, and we don't want him. It's a crazy and frightening position to be in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Agreed. He has made so many mistakes but this season we were all very optimistic when we signed the players we did. 

That was backing from the chairman. Unreal backing really for a League 1 club.

There is one issue at the moment and one issue alone - our tactics. That is not the bloody chairman fault.

Tactics are not Chansiri fault (Although you could argue it is him who is responsible for appointing the bloke whose fault it is)

But Chansiri is at fault for the points deduction, the suspended points deduction, the numerous embargos, the eye watering ticket prices, the 150th Year Celebrations being a flop, the kits fiascos, the club now not owning they own stadium, the numerous changes of manager, the non payment of wages and probably a couple more things I have left out.

• Like 2
  • Love 1