Just don't care anymore

Guest Grandad

Just now, OwlsPilgrim said:

I thought this would have been the likely route we were going for this season and the next couple of years and properly ‘reset’ after the failings and letdowns of recent seasons. But then how many are willing to go with this idea?

Well you’d not sell season tickets admitting it that’s for sure 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You just have to dig in, its all about faith and luck,  one day we will be one of the most powerful in the land and guess what? Fans will still want more and find fault, the fans appetite for "success" is insatiably.

You only have to go fans forums of the top placed Premier clubs, you will find the same attitude as on here the players aren't interested, the owner needs to do more the manager needs to go. 

Just enjoy the day for what it is, meeting your mates for a few drinks, catching up with people sat around you.  Having a chat with the away fans, and sometimes you get a cracking game.

All that is fine 

Most of that is perfectly valid and true

But this is a forum for analysis, dissection, discussion, alternatives, gossip, looking for ways to improve what is happening (at any stage)

If you’re 100% happy all the time then don’t be going onto a forum talking about how forums are an issue 

Just be happy in your happy outlook and enjoy the football 👍

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Well you’d not sell season tickets admitting it that’s for sure 

I think it could be an honest assessment of the club they could say we have to build a team to get promotion in X number of years but if the chance of promotion presents itself in the meantime then obviously we will go for it.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I know I’m like a broken record but simply every player in their natural position would be a start 

As would not changing the starting line up every single week

Win a few games playing attacking football will get energy in the fanbase.

Will work at any level of football.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

All that is fine 

Most of that is perfectly valid and true

But this is a forum for analysis, dissection, discussion, alternatives, gossip, looking for ways to improve what is happening (at any stage)

If you’re 100% happy all the time then don’t be going onto a forum talking about how forums are an issue 

Just be happy in your happy outlook and enjoy the football 👍

There is plenty of all that which I enjoy reading about and contributing to and I'm far from 100% happy with our standing in the footballing world.  We all have interests which we fall out with from time but go back to them at a later date football is just he same.  Drop out of it for a couple of seasons then maybe dip your toe in again a few years later see if the old attraction comes back.  

I haven’t been in over 3 seasons since I moved away but in that time I have watched nearly every minute we have played even in the Pizza cup , at the beginning of the season After we had won a few I thought I might pop up for the odd game but that notion has been eroded now , 

As someone previously said coming on here is my only real connection to the club after nearly 60 years of watching them 

9 minutes ago, OwlsPilgrim said:

I thought this would have been the likely route we were going for this season and the next couple of years and properly ‘reset’ after the failings and letdowns of recent seasons. But then how many are willing to go with this idea?

Why would anyone want to go down that route?

Remember when Usain Bolt said his plan was to finish 7th every race for a few years and build his muscles up, and then go and try and win some races in a few years time?

Nope, he went out to win everything at every chance he got. 

We're such losers, it's so conditioned into south Yorkshire mentality.  It'll be better tomorrow.  30 years later, it'll be better tomorrow.  Time is precious, and this is a competition. 

• Like 1

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

I think it could be an honest assessment of the club they could say we have to build a team to get promotion in X number of years but if the chance of promotion presents itself in the meantime then obviously we will go for it.  

I’d back this strategy as the club would be stating their intent to succeed with a more measured approach. As long as we were progressing in a positive direction as time went on I could get behind that. Again if the opportunity arises and we gain promotion early well all the better. 

1 minute ago, OwlsPilgrim said:

I’d back this strategy as the club would be stating their intent to succeed with a more measured approach. As long as we were progressing in a positive direction as time went on I could get behind that. Again if the opportunity arises and we gain promotion early well all the better. 

Mention Brentford a few times as well, be a winner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hutchinson, Bannan, Palmer?

Who else. Bit crazy to suggest these individuals are responsible for our shiteness. 

Well, they have been playing for the last several years as we've got increasingly sh*te. And where did I suggest they were responsible for all our sh*teness? Please direct me to that bit. I think it might take a while.

Having senior players knocking around for years, being a part of the "family", when performances on the pitch are in a state of almost permanent decline would suggest to be it might be time to break clean and start afresh.

We may have signed 14 new players, but the senior voices in that dressing room are the same ones we've had now for 4, 5 years.

The main reason we keep hold of them is because we are incapable of moving on and finding replacements.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Maybe but I don't suffer drama queens must be me then

Getting tedious now mate 

If your only reason for being on the site is to have pops at other people and be an uberfan maybe you’re in the wrong place

Debate and discuss the post and the topic and not the posters 

Ta 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hutchinson, Bannan, Palmer?

Who else. Bit crazy to suggest these individuals are responsible for our shiteness. 

Not blaming those players personally but one of the reasons we are in a downward spiral is being too generous with the contracts for these players.
Bannan a reported £27k per week in Division 3!

Hutchinson with his injury record been given long contracts on good money.

Even in football its financial madness.

I have seen people saying that they are giving Chansiri some slack for previous mistakes but think apart from sometimes throwing money at things the bloke has very little to offer as a football chairman.

• Like 1

It's normal that people care less and go less when a club falls down the league. It's very rare to get attendances in League One as big as in the Championship or the Premiership.

It's normal that winning a few games playing attacking football gets energy in the fanbase, but it isn't easy to do. If you set up to play attacking football but you aren't as good as the opposition then you usually don't get a valiant high scoring defeat with supporters praising your effort; you get a match which the opposition controls and you make a lot of errors on the ball.

We have to find a way of winning games. Darren Moore did that with Doncaster, they were in a play-off spot when we signed him, and we should give him a proper chance here.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

I think many thought the DC era would be a fast-track to the PL and then he would sell on. I think we all would have accepted this. Unfortunately in our unique way, we've gone significantly backwards in 5 yrs and are stuck with a guy who doesn't want us, and we don't want him. It's a crazy and frightening position to be in.

Many of us did, and probably would, had he taken Howard Wilkinson on as his first move - but even though it didn't happen, he has had to dig deep to pay wages etc during lockdown, and then provide what the manager asked for.  It's less than ideal, but I'd also love to hear DC's side of it then we could move forward as a unit...