Just don't care anymore

Guest Grandad

There are well run clubs out there that are on a high and play decent ish football and have good positive connections with fans, better atmospheres and have plans and structures in place to enable the possibility of success. We have none of that. Maybe not many clubs have all those things at the same time but we have none. 

What is sad is the fact that we almost have to just accept that. It's like being depressed and accepting that the happy giggly couple on the opposite table to you are out of reach. Like you know it'll only be pure luck decades into the future that you will be as happy as them. Some people can accept that, for some it eats away at you. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We win the next 5 in a row. Posts like this don’t appear.

The passion comes back when we start winning.

Disagree. Last 3 years we have dropped off a cliff and as most of us have been here many times before, keeping faith is beyond us. Bored, truly bored! Should be looking forward to going to Cheltenham with the expectation of at least seeing a performance. Doubtful we will even see that. Club is crap and light years away from it’s former self. Struggles in the past seemed worth while at the time as there was hope that our time would come again. Fast forward over a decade and expectations are lower than ever. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well, they have been playing for the last several years as we've got increasingly sh*te. And where did I suggest they were responsible for all our sh*teness? Please direct me to that bit. I think it might take a while.

Having senior players knocking around for years, being a part of the "family", when performances on the pitch are in a state of almost permanent decline would suggest to be it might be time to break clean and start afresh.

We may have signed 14 new players, but the senior voices in that dressing room are the same ones we've had now for 4, 5 years.

The main reason we keep hold of them is because we are incapable of moving on and finding replacements.

Bannan is our best player.  Palmer is a steady squad player who has been one of our better performers so far this season. We’ve missed Hutchinson hugely the past few games.

None of these lads are the problem. Senior voices they may be nowadays, but we’ve had transfer window after transfer window to bring in leaders to the squad. Something we’ve failed consistently with. That’s not the fault of those players above. 

We’re at the stage where people are desperately trying to point out where it’s going wrong and who is the problem. 

• Like 3

I get depressed watching the games. The lack of cohesion, lack of movement, the apparent lack of basic footballing skill. I know the players can pass and trap the ball but so many times they pass to the opposition or have to chase after the ball after trapping it. Why is that? They walk onto the pitch and fail to do stuff they have been doing all their lives.

We don't get after the opposition, there's no urgency, everything is ponderous and boring to watch. Then for a few minutes it clicks, we are on the front foot, the opposition are struggling, then it's gone again. Why? Why don't we do that more and sustain it. It frustrates me, it's like having a really hot girlfriend and only being allowed to kiss her on the cheek.

Between games my hopes build that next time it will be different, it rarely is but I keep hoping.

We could win this league but we won't, all the signs are for mediocre football. Moore is following the latest football fashion for possession football and pressing the opposition,  all the top clubs do it. We don't have the players they have, how can you play possession football if you keep failing to pass to your own man, if only a few players press at one time leaving easy passes for the man with the ball?

Now I'm starting to depress myself and it's not even Saturday.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Disagree. Last 3 years we have dropped off a cliff and as most of us have been here many times before, keeping faith is beyond us. Bored, truly bored! Should be looking forward to going to Cheltenham with the expectation of at least seeing a performance. Doubtful we will even see that. Club is crap and light years away from it’s former self. Struggles in the past seemed worth while at the time as there was hope that our time would come again. Fast forward over a decade and expectations are lower than ever. 

I completely agree. But that feeling of apathy can turn into optimism with back to back wins.

Remember back in August when we were going to p*** the league?  

• Like 1

I definitely hear where the OP is coming from. The losses don’t affect me as half as much anymore. It was the monk era that did it for me though, so much promise to be 3rd at Christmas and then we fell off a cliff and neither DC or Monk did anything about it. Then, last season was just a farce beyond words. A few wins will feel good for sure, but let’s face it, they will only paper over the cracks. DC has spunk*ed millions away without a plan. It’s completely laughable. Just to think where we could be without DC being so poorly advised and stubborn??!

4 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

As bad as Chansiri is he has still pumped a lot of money into the club. We have been in worse positions than this. I think both Allen and Mghee were worse. Even Richards left us in the brown stuff. He's not going anywhere so our current problem is the inept manager. A decent manager would get us into the playoffs. A trip to Wembley in the summer would lift the blues. Come on Chansiri, pull the trigger. MM was  a good chairman but wouldn't spend any money, whereas DC is poor but will spend. If MM had stayed on as an advisor would have been great. We were close on a couple of occasions, but the manager you mention bottled it. That wasn't DC's fault.

How has being homeless, with a team of free agents and loans, transfer embargos, points deductions, fans owed money, season ticket holder going shopping rather than attending games.

No the club has never been in a worse place that it currently is and now we have a manager who seems to be a deluded at the bloke running the club.

In my 43 years we have never been as awful in all part of the club, as we have for this last few seasons. Nothing getting better it's just become the norm. This continues we won't have a football club in 18 months.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You just have to dig in, its all about faith and luck,  one day we will be one of the most powerful in the land and guess what? Fans will still want more and find fault, the fans appetite for "success" is insatiably.

You only have to go fans forums of the top placed Premier clubs, you will find the same attitude as on here the players aren't interested, the owner needs to do more the manager needs to go. 

Just enjoy the day for what it is, meeting your mates for a few drinks, catching up with people sat around you.  Having a chat with the away fans, and sometimes you get a cracking game.

That's what being a football fan is all about, put similiar comments in my post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Two ways the win back the fans:

- Win football matches

- Play good football

Fans won’t care who the chairman is, what he’s done, the price of a pie in the ground, half time entertainment etc if those two objectives are followed

This is true.

This forum was far more upbeat and the atmosphere around the ground on match day in the first couple of home games was decent when we were top of the league in the first month.

It is a boring watch at the moment but our crowds are significantly above the average we had in in 2010-11 the last time we were relegated and that's despite COVID putting some off and the refund issue understandably making some decide it is not worth it. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

My point is that the chairman can only do so much. 

He has backed Darren Moore. He has enabled him to put together a group of players that the majority of this league could not afford.

Most of our fans were delighted with the standard of player we signed.

Just judging this season alone, the problems are coming from the coaching team rather than the boardroom and I do realise that in the past it has been the other way around.

I disagree, the Manger had his hands tied behind his back with recruitment and has done well despite that. We can't buy players, only loan or pick up frees. That's totally down to the Chairman. He has backed him financially but at less of cost than last year. You cant simply pin this all on DM because you want to and it suits your narrative of wanting Moore out. You are ignoring or belittling important factors that have had an serious impact on shaping our seasons recruitment which were caused by the Chairmans previous mistakes. 

I'm fine with you saying DM needs to do better tactically and results must improve but to say that any poor form we are in is completely his responsibility and the chairman has no accountability for that is not a fair assessment in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I disagree, the Manger had his hands tied behind his back with recruitment and has done well despite that. We can't buy players, only loan or pick up frees. That's totally down to the Chairman. He has backed him financially but at less of cost than last year. You cant simply pin this all on DM because you want to and it suits your narrative of wanting Moore out. You are ignoring or belittling important factors that have had an serious impact on shaping our seasons recruitment which were caused by the Chairmans previous mistakes. 

I'm fine with you saying DM needs to do better tactically and results must improve but to say that any poor form we are in is completely his responsibility and the chairman has no accountability for that is not a fair assessment in my opinion.

The poor form is literally Darren More fault. He has the biggest budget in League 1. He has the biggest squad. He has some of the best players. We are still 9th despite him. A decent manager has us easily top 4 with this squad. Whatever the chairman has failed at before of course has an impact but how far back in the past do you go to blame something in the present. Are we where we are because Dave Richard did nothing to keep Di Canio?

We are in the here and now and the chairman has backed Moore. He has no excuses for our league 1 form other than himself.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is true.

This forum was far more upbeat and the atmosphere around the ground on match day in the first couple of home games was decent when we were top of the league in the first month.

It is a boring watch at the moment but our crowds are significantly above the average we had in in 2010-11 the last time we were relegated and that's despite COVID putting some off and the refund issue understandably making some decide it is not worth it. 

I am nowhere near as emotionally invested as I used to be. But this I don’t think is down to the football on show. I was a kid back in 2010/11 and football obsessed. As I’ve got older, I have competing priorities now.

Naturally every fan will be more upbeat and invested in the club if we start winning games again. We’ve had probably 2 and half seasons where we’ve lost/drawn more times than we’ve won. But like I said a few wins can change the mood dramatically.

I think we have the squad to put together some wins and play good attacking football. What’s holding us back from doing that? The manager? Are the players being paid? Is everything happy behind the scenes?

Windass and Iorfa recently signed new deals, which suggests to me it’s a fairly happy camp. These two players would get into most Championship squads. 

Which to me suggests it’s now in the managers hands to change our fortunes and get the fans back on board.

• Like 2