Sheff Wed 97/98 - Championship Manager

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Not hard to see where the problems were, is it. Can see a decent enough first team there - with Di Canio, Carbone and Alexanderson representing some actual quality - but then there’s absolutely nothing. 

Think you could look at Man Utd and say the same thing in the 1990s.

Clubs didn't carry anything like the ridiculously huge squads they do today.

10 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Think you could look at Man Utd and say the same thing in the 1990s.

Clubs didn't carry anything like the ridiculously huge squads they do today.

Oh yeah definitely, that's kinda what I was aiming at but forgot to actually say so!

Amazing how a screenshot from a game like that can provide such a window into the past in many ways.. and not just because I played way too much of that game back in the day.. 

4 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Remember having on version from when Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy were both still at Crewe. 

Used to sign them in every save and they always did well. Clearly the designers already knew they had Prem potential when they made that game that year.

The scouting network the developers of these games have and use is incredible. Pretty sure quite a few clubs have a real life scouting partnership with them.. seem to recall Everton making a big deal of it a few years back. 

I used to play these games a ton. I can remember signing loads of players as 17/18 year olds on these games who have since retired as legends for club and country in real life.

Bruce was on the bench in the game at home to Derby, where I believe Nigel Clough also played for us.

we lost 5-2,  Paolo Wanchope absolutely tore us to pieces.  Blondeau eventually gave up trying to tackle him, and just got himself a red card, he looked pleased to walk off the pitch.  Wanchope looked the worlds best striker that night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Remember having on version from when Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy were both still at Crewe. 

Used to sign them in every save and they always did well. Clearly the designers already knew they had Prem potential when they made that game that year.

So did I!

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Oh yeah definitely, that's kinda what I was aiming at but forgot to actually say so!

Amazing how a screenshot from a game like that can provide such a window into the past in many ways.. and not just because I played way too much of that game back in the day.. 

I played it too much as well. Even to the extent where I told the lady who would become the current Mrs B (we were still courting in them days) that I was busy and couldn't meet up with her....

She still ended up marrying me despite my appalling attitude.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Bruce Grobbelaar was only ever an used sub for us on a couple of occasions.

Was a great goalkeeper for Liverpool but think the match fixing allegations make him a person I would have little time for.

I don't think anything in particular was proven but plenty of evidence he was up to no good.

A stain on our game.

Used to read the football results - on Friday night.

Loved that game, Guy Branston, Graham Lee and Darren Purse as my 3 first choice centre backs in 532 formation, with Richie Wellens and Dean Keates in the middle and a guy called James Flood from Stockport County upfront, world beaters the lot of them. 

Sadly was rather dissapointed with tje first 3 when the finally did turn up at Hillsborough lol

• Like 1